Any experience with Dillion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any experience with Dillion?

I have an opportunity to buy a lightly used Dillion Phoenix, which is essentially a Firebird copy, for peanuts. I'm kind of in the market for another FB anyway and this one has three pickups which appeals to me. Does anyone have experience with these? I get that it's probably going to have cheap-ass hardware and electronics that will need replaced, but then so do the Gibsons for a lot more $$$. Has anyone played these guitars or had any direct experience with them?

Re: Any experience with Dillion?

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy a lightly used Dillion Phoenix, which is essentially a Firebird copy, for peanuts. I'm kind of in the market for another FB anyway and this one has three pickups which appeals to me. Does anyone have experience with these? I get that it's probably going to have cheap-ass hardware and electronics that will need replaced, but then so do the Gibsons for a lot more $$$. Has anyone played these guitars or had any direct experience with them?
    My girlfriend looks like Dillon Phoenix

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Comment

Take this with a grain of salt as opinions and tastes differ and buying sight unseen is a crap shoot ... I have a Dillion semi hollow. It's a well made import. The pots are standard, import stuff. The stock pickups aren't bad (G&B). The bridge is a Wilkinson wrap around. Big and ugly, but the quality is decent. Grover machines. Frets are level and very nicely crowned and polished ... better than average for sure. I haven't played it for a while but I think the nut is bone (edit, not bone). At any rate, it's well cut. It's a good guitar for the money. It doesn't get played much as I'm not fond of the neck. I've played a couple others and my impressions were mostly positive. I've read mostly positive as well but there have been some negatives. The Phoenix is a popular choice for a Firebird copy but I've never played one. I'm sure there are good, decent and bad examples as usually happens with imports. If I wanted one, and the price was good, I'd take chance and buy one, unseen, based on my experience with the brand, albeit fairly limited. But as with every guitar, I'd much rather have hands on, first.

One more thing, my personal opinion is that some of the Dillion guitars seem to be overpriced now.
      Last edited by Darg1911; 05-16-2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
        Take this with a grain of salt as opinions and tastes differ and buying sight unseen is a crap shoot ... I have a Dillion semi hollow. It's a well made import. The pots are standard, import stuff. The stock pickups aren't bad (G&B). The bridge is a Wilkinson wrap around. Big and ugly, but the quality is decent. Grover machines. Frets are level and very nicely crowned and polished ... better than average for sure. It's a good guitar for the money. It doesn't get played much as I'm not fond of the neck. I've played a couple others and my impressions were mostly positive. I've read mostly positive as well but there have been some negatives. The Phoenix is a popular choice for a Firebird copy but I've never played one. I'm sure there are good, decent and bad examples as usually happens with imports. If I wanted one, and the price was good, I'd take chance and buy one, unseen, based on my experience with the brand, albeit fairly limited. But as with every guitar, I'd much rather have hands on, first.

One more thing, my personal opinion is that Dillion guitars are overpriced now.
        This one is $250. I think I'm going to snag it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
          Take this with a grain of salt as opinions and tastes differ and buying sight unseen is a crap shoot ... I have a Dillion semi hollow. It's a well made import. The pots are standard, import stuff. The stock pickups aren't bad (G&B). The bridge is a Wilkinson wrap around. Big and ugly, but the quality is decent. Grover machines. Frets are level and very nicely crowned and polished ... better than average for sure. I haven't played it for a while but I think the nut is bone. At any rate, it's well cut. It's a good guitar for the money. It doesn't get played much as I'm not fond of the neck. I've played a couple others and my impressions were mostly positive. I've read mostly positive as well but there have been some negatives. The Phoenix is a popular choice for a Firebird copy but I've never played one. I'm sure there are good, decent and bad examples as usually happens with imports. If I wanted one, and the price was good, I'd take chance and buy one, unseen, based on my experience with the brand, albeit fairly limited. But as with every guitar, I'd much rather have hands on, first.

One more thing, my personal opinion is that Dillion guitars are overpriced now.
          What don't you like about the neck?

Comment

Originally posted by NotCardio View Post
            What don't you like about the neck?
            I prefer a chunky neck but I'm pretty much ok with any C shape or even a soft V or U. As long as it has some "round" to it. The Dillion is more of a very flat D. But I don't know if that's a typical profile for Dillion.

Comment

Well, I pulled the trigger. Should see it in about a week. I almost ordered a vibrola but then I figured I'd better find out if I'm keeping or flipping before I invest in new parts!

Comment

For $250 it is a nice score and worth a shot.

I have had 2 real nice Dillions. A 56GT LP from their original series which was a proper LP body, solid all round and one of the better LP copies I've played. I also had a killer Korina V from them that I kick myself for selling everytime I think about it. Both were Korean and IIRC I figured out they were made at the same factory that makes Tokai's MIK stuff.

I also had an SG Std from them that was a total piece of crap and couldn't be intonated without relocating the bridge, looked great though.
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
                  Well, I pulled the trigger. Should see it in about a week. I almost ordered a vibrola but then I figured I'd better find out if I'm keeping or flipping before I invest in new parts!
                  $250 is a killer deal if it's not a dud. I think chances are pretty good that it wont be.

Comment

IIRC there were 2 Dillion companies, one out of US and one Canada. Both made overseas.

Anyways, no experience with the one your talking about, but the only Dillion's I've played were Mosrite copies. They were heavy as hell, but great for Ramone's - style punk.
                    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I did a custom kombi finish on a dillion for this guy. I am pretty proud of this thing i think it turned out to be truly majestic.

EDIT headstock says daion. OOOOps anyway i'm not taking it down now haha,

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                        I did a custom kombi finish on a dillion for this guy. I am pretty proud of this thing i think it turned out to be truly majestic.

EDIT headstock says daion. OOOOps anyway i'm not taking it down now haha,
                        Ooh... she's purty...

Comment

Tracking says I get my guitar next Thurs. I can't wait... definitely interested to see how the stock pickups stack against the Antiquities in my FB. I HAVE to think they're better than the horse**** stock Gibson pickups. Those are the worst thing ever. I like that it comes stock with a roller bridge and a bone nut. If everything I've heard about Dillion is true I'm not too worried about the frets or fit and finish. If the guitar works out for me I'll mod it with a vibrola, and new pickups if necessary.

Comment

Got a Dillion RG7 copy and it's great! Neck and fretboard feel way better than the LTD H-207 I traded for it

Comment

Waiting on an NGD is the worst damn thing ever...

Comment

Working...
                              X