Something different.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something different.

This is the last of the super neck through extended range builds i am moving on to some mahogany/hornbeam bolt-ons with less frets I lost the back plate so i have to make a new but its mostly done. This guitar took me a long time to finish and the design reflects function more than looks. It balances perfectly with such a long neck and damn if i say so myself it plays great. Some of the ideas/features like the jack route come from yamahas rgx series and the fret layout from UJR sky guitar. I took the rear cutaway from the charvel/jackson fusions and made it way deeper to allow for greater access ''if ever needed''.

I don't consider myself as good as any of the builders floating around on the forum but i am getting better with each build and ironing out the mistakes i made from the previous ones. I hope some of you enjoy the pictures and concept.

Rose alder wings
    Hardrock maple neck
    Maple fretboard
    No radius.
    Dimarzio super 3
    BKP sinner
    Ibanez neck simulator.
    Korean jackson tuners
    Schaller 3d6
    abm nut
    Single action double expanding warmoth bass truss rod.
    jescar jumbo gold frets.
    Light Tru oil finish.

It wouldn't be a nGD without a toe shot

This is the circuit running in the guitar. The sim does a convincing job for the neck tones and its actually rather weird having such a similar sounding neck and bridge '' because they are the same pickup''. Both positions behave and sound differently considering. The bkp in there is pretty cool too but i might switch that out eventually for a hotrail.

The main shape is a continuation/modded version of the 30 fret map guitar i done.

Last edited by kramersteen; 05-20-2017, 03:02 AM.

Re: Something different.

Great job Sir! I'm not too familiar with extended scales, but I find them very interesting.
    There are several things I really like that you did, notably the output jack location, I like how its kinda tucked into its own nook and how you capped it, that was a nice touch.
    I also really like the pickup mounting ring, that is just so nicely thought out and well designed that I found myself staring at it for longer than I should have haha!
    The horn scallops are really cool too I must say! I do have one question though, could you explain why the frets "end" and then start back again, would that be the 3rd octave? I know I didn't word that correct, but I'm sure you got me.
    87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Is the battery compartment carved in ? Neat anyway.
      sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
      - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
        Is the battery compartment carved in ? Neat anyway.
        Nar it was two bits of plywood i glued in the cavity. It could easily be routed in but it was a after thought when i realized i needed a spot for the battery and didn't want to add a box. Do you like the techs wiring job? Their is a heap going on in there he has hidden it well.

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
        Great job Sir! I'm not too familiar with extended scales, but I find them very interesting.
        There are several things I really like that you did, notably the output jack location, I like how its kinda tucked into its own nook and how you capped it, that was a nice touch.
        I also really like the pickup mounting ring, that is just so nicely thought out and well designed that I found myself staring at it for longer than I should have haha!
        The horn scallops are really cool too I must say! I do have one question though, could you explain why the frets "end" and then start back again, would that be the 3rd octave? I know I didn't word that correct, but I'm sure you got me.
        Scale is 25.5 like fender.

Originally i was going to direct mount the pickups but i botched the cavity a bit so i had to go with the mini guard. Glad i did it adds something.

The third octave is from 24 frets on but they stop at 27 and then go into whole-tone steps so 24,25,26,27 (28/29)(30/31)(32/33)(34/34)(36/37). Basically what that means to me is i saw the sky guitar had done it and copied the concept. It would require a true master to use this are but what i like is that even playing around the 20th to 24th area is just open neck so no heel like on a normal guitar.

Here is the missing cavity plate i made. I wish i knew where the hell it went its a **** because i loved the look of it.

Thanks~~~!!!
        Last edited by kramersteen; 05-20-2017, 05:23 AM.

Comment

The problem with these designs is the pickups live under the fretboard, That means playing anything past that pickup wouldn't work.

The neck simulator was a great idea and i have ibanez to thank for it.

Comment

Fantastic

Comment

Wow! Very nice. I dig the position of the jack. I wish more guitars had jacks in a place/angle that makes sense.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Do you like the techs wiring job? There is a heap going on in there he has hidden it well.
                Yes. I was wondering, I knew it couldn't be you.
                sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

That makes sense to me now, thanks for explaining that and adding more pics to see where you got some of the inspiration from. Never realized how radical those designs were. Pickups under the wood, who woulda thought?! Awesome job on that mounting ring/mini guard, that last pic was really good quality.
                  87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

No worries �� its given me some drive to get onto the next projects.

Comment

That is one terrifying guitar! It's gonna rock my face off, ahhhhhh!!! MY FACE!!!!!!!!

Amazing job! Honest question, would you consider building a custom axe for a fellow forum member? =P

Comment

I've never gotten into extended range guitars. But there are things I love about this. The Schaller 3D and the battery set up, is that a powered mega-switch?

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by daenius View Post
                          That is one terrifying guitar! It's gonna rock my face off, ahhhhhh!!! MY FACE!!!!!!!!

Amazing job! Honest question, would you consider building a custom axe for a fellow forum member? =P
                          Yeah maybe when I get some more practice under my belt. I have done finishes for people but never a build. Thanks it is terrifying lol

Comment

Originally posted by RandomToneGuy View Post
                            I've never gotten into extended range guitars. But there are things I love about this. The Schaller 3D and the battery set up, is that a powered mega-switch?

No that's the Ibanez eq neck sim from a rg550xh. ��

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                              No that's the Ibanez eq neck sim from a rg550xh. ��
                              Cool, so it makes the Pickup sound like it's under the fretboard? Cool! Sorry I, not to familiar with extend range, but I like what you've done here. I'll have to put a forward/backwards sliding battery box in the routing, but it has the potential to waste less wood. I could always incorporate the box into the pickguard.

Comment

Working...
                              X