New project body incoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project body incoming

So, I've had a couple builds where I've purchased parts from GuitarFetish's Factory Buyout Clearance Sale and they've come out pretty good...

The neck for Ashleigh...

Before:

After:

And the body for Mary Ann...

Before:

After:

I've been thinking the next one will be an LP-style, but I was perusing the factory clearance site and had to scoop this thing up!

Ugly, huh? Looks like a cartoon cow, right?

My sixteen-year-old daughter has a talent for artwork, particularly with cartoon characters, so we're gonna make it a father-daughter project where I'll let her design and paint the rest of the face.

This one's gonna be fun!
    (and maybe a little silly [emoji12])

After it gets here I'll mock up some pics including the Floyd Rose and white pups and let her start playing with ideas (including pickup colors... I figure she can "color in" on white ones if she's so inclined).

Meanwhile, I'll start working on cleaning up the dings and scratches, getting ready for painting graphics.

What do you think?
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

New project body incoming

One of the things about this body that I'm trying to figure out is what to look for in a neck. My other builds were easier. The Strat and Tele took necks designed for those styles, and Mary Ann didn't have any bridge routing or holes drilled, so I got a bolt-on LP neck, measured, and put the bridge where it needed to be.

This one's already routed for a Floyd, but I have no idea what kind of a neck it may have been designed for...
    • 22 or 24 frets?
    • 25.5" or 24.75" scale length?

How can I know?

I know I need one with the shelf cut for the locking nut, but I'm a bit mystified about the rest. How 'bout some advice?
    Last edited by BriGuy1968; 06-04-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Re: New project body incoming

It appears to be rated for a 24 fret neck heel because of how close proximity the pickups are to each other, namely the neck and bridge humbucker routing.
      Best advice I can give you is to put a neck on it and do a quick scale measurement to get a ball park.
      Maybe get ahold of GFS and ask them what the specs are...

That'll be an awesome project for you and your daughter, I'm sure you'll have fun with this one! It does sort of look like a cartoon cow, good call on that. Haha
      87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
        It appears to be rated for a 24 fret neck heel because of how close proximity the pickups are to each other, namely the neck and bridge humbucker routing.
        Best advice I can give you is to put a neck on it and do a quick scale measurement to get a ball park.
        Maybe get ahold of GFS and ask them what the specs are...

That'll be an awesome project for you and your daughter, I'm sure you'll have fun with this one! It does sort of look like a cartoon cow, good call on that. Haha
        I was kinda thinking the same thing, but I don't have any necks lying around with which to do that (although I may be able to approximate once it arrives by lining it up with other guitars).

Unfortunately, because they didn't manufacture them (or have them manufactured), with these factory buyout specials the only specs they have on file are the ones in the picture, in this case the 56mm heel route. I think they just pull them off a pile, dust them off, snap a couple pics, and go. Maybe I'll try to send them a quick email before it ships, though, to see if they can tell me more.

Thanks! [emoji41]

Comment

Measure from the base of the neck pocket to the center of the Floyd studs. Lay something across both studs so you can measure straight down from the neck pocket..
          I just measured a body I have that is 22frets/25-1/2" and a Floyd. I got 6-5/8" from mine.
          87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

How do these new builds sound? I like the overlay on the headstock of the first one...and the cool nut. What sounds can you compare them to?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My guess is 25.5 scale. Those pup routes look like a 24 fret reposition. Floyd equipped don't usually use shorter 24.75 scale. If you have a Tele style neck it may fit the pocket well enough to guess.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yea good call on the Tele style neck pocket, and it being a 25-1/2"/Floyd, as most usually are... I measured an '87 Kramer body this morning for Bri, and it has the Strat pocket shape...
                Maybe somebody else on here has a bare body that they could take a second to post some other measurement so he would at least have some reference points to go from. That's mainly why I measured mine for him, and I usually don't take measurements for dudes. Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  How do these new builds sound? I like the overlay on the headstock of the first one...and the cool nut. What sounds can you compare them to?
                  lol... For Ashleigh (the Strat) that "cool nut" was going to be a roller nut because it fit the shelf cut into the neck (think FR locking), but there was enough lateral pressure as the strings made their way to the pegs that a couple kept jumping out of their slots. I had a gold FR-style locking nut laying around and just put the bottom part on without the locks and it works pretty good! Ssshhhhhh... don't tell anyone or I might get ridiculed!

I actually did a couple simple demo vids and posted them on the original thread:

Mary Ann's pickups are pretty awesome actually, but I don't have any recordings of her. They're basically a humbucker-sized P-90, but "chimi-er" than what you might expect from a typical P-90... so someplace between normal single coil and P-90. As chimey as they sound, though, they also have a bottom-end that rumbles through quite nicely.

Been meaning to make a vid, but life's been a little crazy lately!

Comment

Originally posted by thebingopete View Post
                    My guess is 25.5 scale. Those pup routes look like a 24 fret reposition. Floyd equipped don't usually use shorter 24.75 scale. If you have a Tele style neck it may fit the pocket well enough to guess.

I was kinda thinking the same thing about it probably being a 25.5" scale... just not 100% sure on 24 or 22 frets.

Comment

Kinda looks like a rounded up Parker Fly body (emphasis on kinda.)

Should be an awesome project!

Comment

Looks like a 24 fret reposition to me. If you can just barely fit a trio of buckers in there without rings, most likely a 24 partly why many 24 fret guitars are either HH or HSH because a middle HB doesn't fit well. And pool route looks ****ty without a pickguard.

Comment

Love that GeorgieCaster. Especially the way the wood grain seems to fan out from the bridge.
                          The Mary Ann is sweet too, but I gotta be honest. Hate the controls. Neither the plate or knobs seem to fit the lines or color of the guitar. But, to each his own. Nice axe's regardless.

Comment

I've been looking at doing something like this. How much work do the bodies and necks require before they are ready to be used?
                            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                              I've been looking at doing something like this. How much work do the bodies and necks require before they are ready to be used?
                              Lots and LOTS of sanding!

This black and white body that I just ordered is the first one I've gotten that actually has some type of finish on it. I am hoping that I can just sand and/or buff out the scratches and scuff's. There's one spot along the bottom edge where it kind of looks like it was dropped or something, because there's a little bare wood showing… That will take a little extra TLC. I'm hoping that I don't have to completely repaint it, so that I can just put some clear over top after I've cleaned it up and my daughter does the graphics.

The other neck and body that I had gotten previously both needed to be finished as well, so you may have to add that to your list of things to do.

There's definitely some work involved to get them ready, but so far I've found it to be doable and quite enjoyable. [emoji1303]

Comment

Working...
                              X