Schecter Omen Extreme 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schecter Omen Extreme 6

I am seriously looking to move away from my beginner guitar to a more moderately priced, mid level guitar that gives me better tones and a few more options.

I have been researching the crap out of ESP, Ibanez, Jackson, Epiphone, Mitchell and Schecter guitars and I keep coming back to the Schecter Omen Extreme 6.
    I am looking at the Black Cherry model WITHOUT the Floyd Rose Bridge, but rather the TOM Bridge and string thru body model. This thing seems to be getting pretty decent reviews across he board, the 1 thing I wish it had is a set-in neck instead of a bolt on neck. With the mahogany body and rosewood fretboard a set-in neck and string thru body would/should give an amazing tone and sustain off the charts (I would think).
    Anyway, GC has them in stock and for the price, with the coil tap feature, even stock hardware is pretty darn good, I don't think I can go wrong with this piece.

Anyone out there have any thoughts or experience with this guitar and what do you think?
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Schecter Omen Extreme 6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	5844689
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GIJoeJarhead; 06-23-2017, 10:50 AM. Reason: wrong pic
    GIJoeJarhead
    Semi-Newb, still trying to learn as much as I can!!

RWG LP w/ SD JB/Jazz Combo
    Mitchel MD400 w/ SD Pearly Gate/Duckbucker combo
    HLK Southern Belle (Tele) w/SD 1/4 lb/Tele Pickup combo
    Fender Acoustic/Electric

Re: Schecter Omen Extreme 6

The first image is the one I'm looking at, I cannot seem to delete the 2nd image, that's not exactly the model I'm looking at. That is the FR series with the locking tuners . . . the Omen Extreme 6 W/O FR has 3 knobs, master volume and tones with 1 tone knob being a coil splitter, allowing the bridge hummer to split into single coils, that's the 1st image. But . . . the color, neck, frets, headstock, etc. are the same.
    Last edited by GIJoeJarhead; 06-23-2017, 10:53 AM.
    GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

What's the price diff. between that and a used (set neck) C1 ?

Anyway. I might just grab a regular Omen 6 (I had a cheap one way back) and upgrade. That was a nice guitar.
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

about $150 - $300 difference between the 2, but the C-1 doesn't offer the coil splitting. The new Omen 6 comes with Diamond Plus Alnico Humbuckers, the TOM Bridge, and Schecter tuners. I figure with a better set of strings and maybe some tuner lockers (Maybe) I should be good to go out of the box. All readings/reviews I have seen on the FR Model is "AWESOME for shredding and dive bombing, but if that's not your thing, then save the $$ and get the string thru model."
        GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

I would try to play as many different types as you can before you buy one.

That being said, Schecter makes a great guitar–great value for the price.

Comment

Yeah, I wish there was a guitar store local that carried more than 1 or 2 Schecters. Unfortunately it looks like the couple places that were close that DID, in fact, specialize in Schecters have both closed their doors. Only store within 50 miles is in Scottsdale and he doesn't have any Omen's, only the high end models (Scottsdale = $$$). Hence the reason I'm doing as much research online and asking as many questions as I can.
            Friend of mine from HS plays in a band back in VA, been playing a long time, and he says the same thing, Schecter makes a good guitar. He had a former bandmate that played a Hellraiser and it sounded awesome.
            I like the Omen because it seems to pack the most bang as far as looks and features into a reasonably priced ax. $399 plus free shipping from GC Online, and another $33 for a 2 year warranty, I just don't know if I can go wrong with that. The ONE feature I wish it had is a set in neck, but even those 2 goof balls over in England that review guitars give it high marks, great guitar for the money, great features and even with the bolt on neck it delivers quality sound.
            GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

The Omen is a great guitar to get–just an FYI it has jumbo frets (not that it is a bad thing, just saying they are not your typical Strat style frets.)

Comment

Yeah, I hear you and that is something I wish I could see, try before buying, but the 24 Jumbo Fret Board is listed as a Great Feature by all I have read, and I asked my HS Buddy about it and he said if I have big hands (Which I do) I should have no issue with it, just have to get used to it.

And again, I really appreciate all of the advice, for a noob all good information is not lost on me!!
                GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

It definitely is not a bad thing at all! If you play a traditional/vintage style Strat or Tele then you would be in for quite the change is all.

Comment

Yeah, playing a Yamaha Strat style piece, the beginner ax I'm looking to upgrade. I also have an RWG Les Paul I play, and LOVE the tones, so that's why I'm kind of looking for the best of both worlds with the Schecter. The RWG is a custom signed piece, and while I LOVE the guitar, not looking to use it as my daily player. One other note is the Omen 6 has passive Pups, where as the C1 and I believe the Damien as well, both have active Pups. Looks to be 50/50 split on which way to go with that, some love the active Pups and others shy away. My wife's Ibanez Bass has active Pups and it tends to eat up batteries, so that's why I'm looking to stay passive.
                    GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Active vs Passive is definitely a personal thing.

Actives tend to sound very sterile and artificial to my ears, don't respond the same way either...feels forced to me. BUT they could sound and react completely different to someone else. Some are better at batteries than others.

Comment

I hear you . . . without REALLY knowing or hearing the differences, I just know it's ONE more thing to deal with and can go wrong. My HS buddy said for actually gigging it can be a real bummer/issue if the battery dies on stage, and I certainly understand that!
                        I'm still a good ways away from hooking up with a band and practicing/gigging, but . . . also not looking to have to swap out pieces yet again when that time does (Hopefully) happen.
                        GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Cool splitting = the cost of a switch and solder. I assume if you want to upgrade the pickups anyway if they don't have stock four cunductor leads.
                          Originally posted by King Buzzo
                          I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                            Cool splitting = the cost of a switch and solder. I assume if you want to upgrade the pickups anyway if they don't have stock four cunductor leads.
                            Understand it might not be a "Big, complicated feature" but it's one I like. And I may upgrade the Pups sometime down the road, but certainly NOT an immediate thing. 1st mod I see might/would be tuner locks, with 2nd being changing the actual tuners to Grovers. Changing the pups to Seymour Duncan's is probably somewhere down the road . . . so again, Bang for the buck for a quality ax out of the box . . . I think it's pretty good!
                            GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

I was terribly impressed with the Mitchell I played a few months ago at GC
                              Tusq nut and locking tuners stock
                              All upgrades you will want
                              Slim neck light weight

If anything , new pickups

It was on sale for $250 when I was there
                              Not sure what they want now

Excellent value

Maybe a Gibson M2 at $499 would be in your sights
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X