80s BC Rich Gunslinger deal identification help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80s BC Rich Gunslinger deal identification help

Hello all, I recently got a 1980s bc Rich Gunslinger from a small town guitar shop for a real deal -$300 total with an original hard shell case. The the headstock states it was made in the USA and I am fairly sure it's from the 1980s (said the salesman) but I would love to know the exact model, year color, value blah blah blah, but I can't seem to get any info on the thing. It has new looking matte black Sperzel tuners, obviously non original (to the guitar) dirty fingers pickups, which really sucks because it's a great pickup but since it has a trem it's spaced incorrectly (don't know whose idea that was! LOL!), and a USA made black Kahler Floyd Rose style "Steeler" trem that I understand was only produced for a short time under a license -and some considered it superior to the original? Lastly, the color reminds me of Gibson's "Pelham blue" or maybe a light slate blue I would personally call it. I'll toss some pics down below oh and by the way the serial number is CA0303 it's barely readable on the back of the headstock. Thanks for any help I'd really love to know!!!

Re: 80s BC Rich Gunslinger deal identification help

Additional info may be hard to come by for a variety of reasons. First of all, B.C. Rich was very inconsistent with their documentation and serial numbers in the late 80s and early 90s. These were referred to as the "Class Axe" years after the company that ran B.C. Rich while Bernie Rico was on a leave of absence. They closed the L.A. Custom Shop and moved USA production to New Jersey, and then Bernie resumed production in CA in 1993.

I suspect that this is a Class Axe example as I've never seen a Gunslinger or ST-3 with no neck plate or one factory routed for dual humbuckers. The Kahler Steeler and locking nut also point to late 80s or early 90s. The stock bridge pickup was probably a DiMarzio Super Distortion, and the neck a PAF, but that's about all I can say for sure. Either way $300 with case is a great deal for the guitar.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      Additional info may be hard to come by for a variety of reasons. First of all, B.C. Rich was very inconsistent with their documentation and serial numbers in the late 80s and early 90s. These were referred to as the "Class Axe" years after the company that ran B.C. Rich while Bernie Rico was on a leave of absence. They closed the L.A. Custom Shop and moved USA production to New Jersey, and then Bernie resumed production in CA in 1993.

I suspect that this is a Class Axe example as I've never seen a Gunslinger or ST-3 with no neck plate or one factory routed for dual humbuckers. The Kahler Steeler and locking nut also point to late 80s or early 90s. The stock bridge pickup was probably a DiMarzio Super Distortion, and the neck a PAF, but that's about all I can say for sure. Either way $300 with case is a great deal for the guitar.
      Thanks so much!! I just read online that the "T.M" next to the B.C. Rich insignia on the headstock signifies it as a "Class Axe" era guitar and it is weird because I think I saw like 2 pics online out of hundreds that had one without a neckplate but no dual humbuckers, and no instance of one with a steeler either but I didn't look all that hard, I was thinking of replacing the pups with like an x2n or maybe a super dist F spaced cause the dirty fingers sound really weird due to the spacing issue. Once again thanks so much and I look foreward to finding out more info if possible, thanks!!

Comment

Cool gee-tar!

Worth the $300 just for the Dirty Fingers IMO.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I like it!

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            Cool gee-tar!

Ahaha thanks! Why do you say it's worth it for the pups? Aren't they like only $200 new?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              I like it!

Thanks dude! Might be the best $300 of my life

Comment

It reminds me of my Jackson MGDX or something like that.

Comment

first of all, congrats on a cool axe!! Thats a great trem too! Im no BC Rich expert, but Im miffed about the no plate too.. But you got a cool deal! I will confirm what Ace said. If you arent fond of the pups, you can sell them and prolly recoup about half what you spent..
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I agree with above posts, you got a nice guitar for 300$! Neat hardware on it, if it's in good shape (good frets etc.) you got a bargain deal imo! Congrats on your new guitar and have fun with it!
                    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      Cool gee-tar!

Agreed!
                      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                      1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                      1988 Kramer Nightswan
                      1989 Charvel Sambora
                      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                      Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                      Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by milohodges View Post
                        Ahaha thanks! Why do you say it's worth it for the pups? Aren't they like only $200 new?
                        More like $250 for the set.

You got a pair of killer loud Gibson pickups for $200, and they came packaged in a BC Rich Gunslinger for an extra $100.

I say strip it and get some to airbrush a Nagel graphic on it!

Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The non-trem spacing on the Dirty Fingers isn't why you don't like the sound. Trem-spacing is primarily an aesthetic thing, and worst case, maybe the low E signal isn't as strong, but probably not.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by The JEM Ghost View Post
                            I agree with above posts, you got a nice guitar for 300$! Neat hardware on it, if it's in good shape (good frets etc.) you got a bargain deal imo! Congrats on your new guitar and have fun with it!
                            Thanks man! It has really good frets and a fretboard the only thing that gets me is the trem because they way it's set up it leans back into the recess cavity but the saddles are even and when I tried to put it at the normal set height the saddles weren't a weird angle I'll give some more pics to show what I mean

As you can see here this is what it looks like from the store/previous owner set up, the trem baseplate is at the wrong angle (not even with the body) but the saddles are perfectly even with the body??

Now here I depressed the bar to where the trem baseplate to where it is level with the body but as you can see it's really high up off the body and the saddles aren't even with the body anymore?? It really stumps me, is it supposed to be at that weird angle or should I try and set it up?

Comment

The saddles are even with the body. The blocks that are operated by the fine tuners are not. That's fine.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X