No announcement yet.

Should I Pull The Trigger On This One?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Pull The Trigger On This One?

I saw this guitar on Reverb (https://reverb.com/item/6480448-paul...6-rare-one-off) and was wondering if I should make the purchase. I'm not very well versed in the history of PRS guitars, so I am looking for help in making the decision to buy one of their vintage models.

This particular instrument piqued my interest for several reasons. First and foremost, it cost 10 times as much as other guitars from the era, so it must be made with 10 times the quality parts and 10 times the quality control. The advert also claims that the guitar is mint, and the 5 pictures of the guitar seem to confirm that.

It clearly has the quality box ticked, but it also has a bit of history behind, which is always cool when buying a guitar. It was commissioned by "a major recording artist" who apparently never played it. If you think I'm making this up, don't worry it comes fully documented.

This guitar also has a bit of a scandalous nature to it as well. It has an Explorer body, which we all know is a Gibson trademark. How neat is that! Good ol Mr. Smith has a dark side involving trademark violations!

But the thing that I really love about this model is just how usable it is. Many people think of PRS as a company whose target audience is people who want a modern guitar that draws inspiration from the past. But once again, Paul has proved us wrong! This guitar draws inspiration from the future! While we were all still experimenting with making single HB strats, he was making a single HB Explorer with a painted fretboard (without any of those pesky inlays). Maybe that artist they were talking about never played it because he didn't want to one-up EVH.

I'm pretty set on this one trick pony that cost a price that could only be justified if it were a front for illegal activity, what about you guys? Another thing to consider is shipping is only $200.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Should I Pull The Trigger On This One?

Somebody hit the pipe a bit too hard before coming up with a price

The guitar actually looks wicked though (well, other than the paint all over the neck), I wonder if it was for Matthias Jabs? Definitely his style.

Comment

I've seen Billy Gibbons with one of those fwiw...
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Could be real. Laid on that zero key a little hard at the end.

Comment

Full documentation? Show it in the photos or I call BS.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Kinda cool looking. For that price one would assume it'd have to come with documentation from both PRS and Reverend Billy.

I'm curious about the fretwork. Do you guys think it has some sort of extra tall frets with paint up the sides, or is it what it looks like: a deep squared-off scallop between each, with regular frets on top?

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Honestly, it's not a bad guitar from what can be seen in the pictures. If it were offered at more reasonable price, maybe around $1,000 to $2,000, I'd probably buy it. It would also need to have some sort of fret markers as well.

Who knows? Maybe it is real, but it was just owned by someone who entered a deal with PRS never to associate their name with the guitar. It's also highly unlikely that this expensive a guitar doesn't have more than a paragraph of information and 5 pictures.
              Last edited by Chistopher; 09-26-2017, 04:44 AM.
              You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

If you don't buy it I will. I just have to sell the house first.

Comment

Dang! ... Imagine how much that would cost with 2 pickups!

Comment

Guitars that are truly worth $175k in the market do not have to advertised on Reverb.
                    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Update fellas, check the link in my OP. Seems a bit fishy don't ya think? Almost as if the listing was a part of some sort of unwholesome activity...

Comment

Listing unavailable

Comment

Really? On my Reverb app it shows as a plant selling for $1 plus $200 shipping that is no longer for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                            Kinda cool looking. For that price one would assume it'd have to come with documentation from both PRS and Reverend Billy.

I'm curious about the fretwork. Do you guys think it has some sort of extra tall frets with paint up the sides, or is it what it looks like: a deep squared-off scallop between each, with regular frets on top?

The whole neck, frets and all are painted, then fret leveling removes paint from the crown of the frets.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Missed the listing; but pic above looks terrible to me. Ever see a brick wall/housing front someone cheaply slathered white paint on, including the grout? Ugh.
                              Originally posted by King Buzzo
                              I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Working...
                              X