Does wood make a difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does wood make a difference?

So I decided I'd build a guitar with as much done in house as possible. I'm still in the planning stages, but this guitar is going to be a firebird style neck-through guitar with three low wind A4 P90s.

The issue i'm stuck on is what wood to use for the stand. I know this topic has been beaten to death already, but does the type of wood used make a major difference? Usually I'd leave it up to someone else to make a metal stand or something, but I want to make a wooden one.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Mahogany vs Maple? Does one have better stability than another or is it a weight difference that sets them apart? I'm worried that I'll make it too light and it won't be stable enough, but I also don't want it to be too heavy and difficult to move.

What are y'all thoughts on the age old "wood making a difference debate"?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Does wood make a difference?

Mahogany and maple are for children. For the best tone I am partial to an oak stand with pine inlays along the edges. If you REALLY want something special, try using a little leather on the top… It tends to soften the highs.

Oh yes, and don’t forget to make each of the two forward legs at least 6 feet long. I know that may seem like overkill, but your guitar will for sure not fall over and besides, there’s always plenty of room on the stage.
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Re: Does wood make a difference?

Build the guitar first then choose pickups after evaluating it's inherent tone.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Right, even within a the same tree there large differences in grain, density, water content, mineral content, etc due to where on the tree that piece of wood was growing. Lower down it's going to be more compressed, and there's differences in grain and knots depending on proximity to branches. Then look at the climates and habitats that species of tree is grown in; temps, rainfall, soils, elevation, nutrition, etc will change how individual trees will grow.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

My two prestiges are only different cosmetically and tonally,,,,,,but have the exact same physical specs aside from one having slightly deeper pickup-routes.
          The older one has a warmer, darker and somewhat heavier sounding tone than the 08 which is bright and snappy in comparison.

Comment

I always have wanted to use ironwood for the core of a neck thru guitar. I'd settle for roasted maple with an ebony board. Or even just the roasted maple. Which makes me wonder if any company makes roasted mahogany?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Totally depends on what kind of music you'll be playing.

For the heavy stuff, you want a stand made of hard rock maple. Of course.

For bluesier material, nice mellow mahogany OR for true vintage ambiance, wood reclaimed from old 1930s furniture.

Doing Christian music? Go with acacia wood, like the Ark Of The Covenant- gold leaf coating optional depending on how prosperous the ministry is.

For New Age, either ancient petrified wood or modern Tibetan lumber would be acceptable, but it needs to be harvested during the waning of the moon, and the chi should be cleansed thoroughly with chanting & incense before assembly.

If playing roots music, rustic unfinished Appalachian pine is best.

For modern or futuristic music, metal (preferably rhodinium) or even lucite would be appropriate.

But whatever you use, watch out for standing waves!
              Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 10-31-2017, 05:23 PM.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                Right, even within a the same tree there large differences in grain, density, water content, mineral content, etc due to where on the tree that piece of wood was growing. Lower down it's going to be more compressed, and there's differences in grain and knots depending on proximity to branches. Then look at the climates and habitats that species of tree is grown in; temps, rainfall, soils, elevation, nutrition, etc will change how individual trees will grow.
                Well played Chris. Just more proof some people never read the posts they just regurgitate the same drivel we have been reading for years.

Comment

I only use wood that was grown on the south facing side of the tree.

Comment

Whatever you do, avoid laminates.

I wouldn't stand for that.
                    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                      I only use wood that was grown on the south facing side of the tree.
                      I feel that the moss that grows on the north side gives an unwanted wooliness to the tone. I also don't care much for the color.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I like the sound of glue
                        Elmers glue is more country twang
                        Titebond for rock
                        Gorilla for metal
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                          I like the sound of glue
                          Elmers glue is more country twang
                          Titebond for rock
                          Gorilla for metal
                          Are you sure... I thought PL Premium was for metal

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                            I feel that the moss that grows on the north side gives an unwanted wooliness to the tone. I also don't care much for the color.
                            You trunkers, everybody knows laminated branch wood is where it's at

Comment

I have heard from Blueman, which means he heard it somewhere and repeated it because he has decided it must be true, that a JB loaded guitar is often problematic on mahogany stands.

And if you are putting a a 59 in the neck of a guitar, be very very careful not to knock the stand over. They can be boomy when they fall down. Or sometimes muddy, if they are placed in puddles outdoors.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X