This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G string blues.......

This is a carry-over from https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...molo-Bar/page3 and I wanted to start a dedicated thread.

For those with tl/dr idis, I'm referring to the G string slipping and going sharp depending on this variable:

-Bend more than a whole step, goes quite flat.
    -Tune up and it's fine until you move the trem and it goes sharp.

Rinse repeat.

I'm not sold on it being the nut. It's possible, but that has been replaced about a year ago. I noticed that the saddles are really sharp feeling around the edges (why I haven't noticed it for years is beyond me) and started thinking a replacement is probably a good idea.

The two I'm looking are:

We also sell most of the parts used on our vintage Strat reproduction guitars. ie. Callaham Tremolo Blocks, Lindy Fralin Pickups, etc.

and

I don't think black GT saddles would look very good. I like the idea of the Callaham best because there is nothing to bind, but there are no grooves. Also the graph tech are almost 30 bucks more and don't indicate an exact match for the guitar.

Re: G string blues.......

I still say it’s your nut. Just because it was replaced a year ago doesn’t mean that it was cut correctly. Never heard of a tremolo causing those kinds of issues.
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Try some Big Bend's Nut Sauce.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

i have both of those saddles and i like them both. they are on pretty different guitars so its hard to say but everything ive ever used from callaham is top notch and would recommend them to anyone

Comment

Yes to the nut. Its the only logical place, not the least that binding in the nut is the only thing that causes the 'flat then sharp' swing of tuning issues.

The callaham products are practically on every strat I own in some form or other. So thats my pick if you want to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
            I still say it’s your nut. Just because it was replaced a year ago doesn’t mean that it was cut correctly. Never heard of a tremolo causing those kinds of issues.
            +1

The G string getting stuck after a certain amount of pitch bend is pointing to something binding somewhere. The nut is the most likely culprit, but a string tree could also be at fault. I really doubt that it's a bridge saddle.

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
            Try some Big Bend's Nut Sauce.

Bill
            If you're a fan of Big Bend's, next time you run out go to a hardware store and buy a tube of powdered teflon gel lubricant instead. It's literally the same thing and costs less than 1/4 as much.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

lsr nut right? no string trees? i might pull the nut off and give it a good cleaning. you cant figure out where the string is hanging up? theres only a few places it could be.

Comment

Originally posted by toowrongfoo View Post
                This is a carry-over from https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...molo-Bar/page3 and I wanted to start a dedicated thread.

For those with tl/dr idis, I'm referring to the G string slipping and going sharp depending on this variable:

-Bend more than a whole step, goes quite flat.
                -Tune up and it's fine until you move the trem and it goes sharp.

Rinse repeat.

I'm not sold on it being the nut. It's possible, but that has been replaced about a year ago. I noticed that the saddles are really sharp feeling around the edges (why I haven't noticed it for years is beyond me) and started thinking a replacement is probably a good idea.

The two I'm looking are:

We also sell most of the parts used on our vintage Strat reproduction guitars. ie. Callaham Tremolo Blocks, Lindy Fralin Pickups, etc.

and

I don't think black GT saddles would look very good. I like the idea of the Callaham best because there is nothing to bind, but there are no grooves. Also the graph tech are almost 30 bucks more and don't indicate an exact match for the guitar.
                I mean this in the kindest of ways, but if the issue was binding at the nut on a different thread, it'll be the same answer on this one.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

It's perfectly fine, actually, I DON'T think it's the nut. I think it's the saddles. Can't say for sure, but changing the LSR didn't help much, but the saddles are the same.

I have nut sauce, doesn't work on an LSR.

One thing about these is that they are staggered tuners and no trees. Not sure if that means anything.

It's a pretty common problem if you look it up. I had a couple of music mans that did it (though nut sauce helped)

Still keep the thoughts commin'.......

I heard Guthrie Govan comment on this about the trem and the way the strings bind. I'll have to look it up.

Comment

Also, it's possible it's the knife edges but it's just the G string.

Comment

Ah hell, don't even worry about it. Watch some Rory Gallagher videos. Rory was constantly tuning his Strat. There is a video where he is tuning between songs and you can hear the "ping". Just channel Rory and wear the tuning issues as a badge of honor.

Comment

G string blues.......

I’d try filing the saddles to remove any burrs that may be present. Then try the Big Bends nut sauce as mentioned earlier.
                        I also feel that this issue is most likely originating in then nut. I’d guess hat the G string nut slot was cut too narrow and the string is binding and not returning to pitch properly.
                        That said, I’m not a tech so I’m sure there are those here that can either confirm my suspicions or point you in another direction
                        Last edited by Gtrjunior; 11-04-2017, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by toowrongfoo View Post
                          One thing about these is that they are staggered tuners and no trees. Not sure if that means anything.
                          That's not the cause of your problem, but I have sometimes noticed even with staggered tuners that they still need trees. Sometimes the guitar's get a "sitar-y" sound to the b and e strings.

But of you are convinced it's the saddles, you might as well get some new ones. They aren't the most expensive set of guitar gear in the world.

If you put the saddles on and it's solved, great. If it's not, you burned a set of strings and have an extra set of saddles, which isn't the worst thing that could happen messing with a guitar.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I'm not convinced of anything

But it's hard for me to believe that two different nuts have the same issue. I'm not saying it isn't, just trying to be deductive.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              i have both of those saddles and i like them both. they are on pretty different guitars so its hard to say but everything ive ever used from callaham is top notch and would recommend them to anyone
                              Question: I've only had the groove-less saddles on my Clapton, but that was a blocked bridge. Probably a stupid question but I'm worried about tuning.

Comment

Working...
                              X