banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kinman Treble Bleed Mod for Humbuckers - What Values Are You Using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinman Treble Bleed Mod for Humbuckers - What Values Are You Using?

I've read up on this mod and also have it installed in my '94 LP Studio. The original specs were for 250k pots and single coils, a 0.001uF cap in series with a 130k resistor. Applying this to humbuckers, most (including myself) have converted that to a .001uF cap with a 240k resistor with 500k pots for humbuckers. That makes sense since the resistor value for the single coils is roughly half of the pot value, so the same would go for 500k pots.

I've been reading that it's a good idea to tune the capacitor value to the capacitance of the guitar cable. In this mod circuit, what does changing the value of the capacitor actually do? I'm getting ready to install this in my other humbucker LP type guitars but I wanted to mess with the different values to see what works best but I don't really know what the different values will produce, electronically.

What values have you experimented with and settled on for this mod with humbuckers/500k pots?
    Edwards LPC / '94 Gibson LP Studio / Electra Omega / Schecter S1 / Reverend Reeves Gabrels II / Splawn Pro Mod & Quick Rod / Peavey VTM 60 / Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 / Splawn Cabs
    My Band
    Album on Bandcamp

Re: Kinman Treble Bleed Mod for Humbuckers - What Values Are You Using?

The resistor changes the taper of the high frequencies. You could skip it if you like the taper of the pot or its already a audio pot with a good taper.
    Last edited by hamerfan; 11-06-2017, 12:19 PM.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
      The resistor changes the taper of the high frequencies. You could skip it if you like the taper of the pot or its already a audio pot with a good taper.
      I thought the main purpose of the resistor was to retain some lows in the treble bleed circuit as you roll down?
      Edwards LPC / '94 Gibson LP Studio / Electra Omega / Schecter S1 / Reverend Reeves Gabrels II / Splawn Pro Mod & Quick Rod / Peavey VTM 60 / Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 / Splawn Cabs
      My Band
      Album on Bandcamp

Comment

Hey man, if you're unsure of what values to use, you can build an easy-mount connector for quick swapping components. I wrote a thread about it, you can check it out here.
        Last edited by Coma; 11-09-2017, 02:26 AM.
        --------------------------------------------------------
        1973 Aria 551
        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
          Hey man, if you're unsure of what values to use, you can build an easy-mount connector for quick swapping components. I wrote a thread about it, you can check it out here.
          Cool, that's a good idea. I was curious what values people ended up with for their humbuckers since I haven't seen much on that. I ended up going with a 0.001 cap and 270k resistor for my Edwards LP with 500k pots.
          My Band
          Album on Bandcamp

Comment

The so-called Kinman treble-bleed circuit is the best (the same can be said for Kinman pickups). Concerning humbuckers, overwound pickups, and 500k Volume pots - 240...270k resistor is ok, but I am using less cap's value too - 680...820pF. Values depend on the pickup's impedance, the Volume pot's value, the Tone pot's value, the Tone cap's value, the pickup shunting capacitance until the next input, and the next input's impedance - I mean the pickup's complex loading. However, optimizing this circuit is very subjective too.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarMaster View Post
              The so-called Kinman treble-bleed circuit is the best (the same can be said for Kinman pickups). Concerning humbuckers, overwound pickups, and 500k Volume pots - 240...270k resistor is ok, but I am using less cap's value too - 680...820pF. Values depend on the pickup's impedance, the Volume pot's value, the Tone pot's value, the Tone cap's value, the pickup shunting capacitance until the next input, and the next input's impedance - I mean the pickup's complex loading. However, optimizing this circuit is very subjective too.
              Welcome to the Forum
              thanks for your insight
              it is appreciated

but please note the last post in the thread was 7 years ago
              and donalddemon may not be around anymore

EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                if donalddemon is still around I bet he started making apotropaic gestures

Comment

I'm a cap-only enthusiast my self, seeing as I prefer a brighter tone for cleaner sounds and a darker distortion sound
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Welcome to the Forum
                    thanks for your insight
                    it is appreciated

but please note the last post in the thread was 7 years ago
                    I'm digging the info.

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post

if donalddemon is still around I bet he started making apotropaic gestures
                      Learned a new word today.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Learned a new word today.
                        what'd it mean
                        EHD

Comment

what'd it mean
                          Having the power to avert evil influences.

Comment

hmm
                            EHD

Comment

I'm firmly in the cap-only camp too. It's nearly 40 years since I got my first PRS with that type.
                              Rather than looking for an even character, I prefer things brightening a bit as I roll back.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X