Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBANEZ SEMIHOLLOW - SUPER 58

Hello everyone, i need you help!
    I want a warm and smooth sounding guitar, for blues and clean. The opposite of my RG with hot rodded set.
    I would like to buy an ibanez hollowbody, i like doublecut guitars but I prefer the look and quality of ibanez over epiphone dot/sheraton. I play low volume at home, so no feedback issues.

do you suggest i should buy:
    Artcore Expressionist AS93, with Super 58 alnico pickup, flamed top and golden hardware.

or
    Artcore AS73 and replace the pickups with SD Seth Lover

Both paths cost almost the same (around 650 €), so it's not about the price.
    The guitars differ almost only in look and pickup.

Every opinion is welcome, thank you in advance!

Re: IBANEZ SEMIHOLLOW - SUPER 58

I have a blonde AS-73 with Antiquities.... It rules for classic rock tones, blues, jazz, and country.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I have Super/58s in my Ibanez Artist AR325, and was very pleasantly surprised at how nice-sounding of a pickup it is. Not anywhere near as hot as my Hot-Rodded Humbucker set… Nice and mellow when I want them to be but very articulate as well.

I have an Ibanez Artcore AS83 from 2005 which had the ACH pickups in it that I believe are used now in the AS73. They weren’t horrible but they didn’t particularly excite me either. In my case I swapped in P-Rails, but then too I was looking for something hotter. If you go for the AS73 you might try giving them some time before you just swap them.
      Originally posted by The Commodores?
      "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

They're both beautiful, but personally, I'd spend a couple of hundred more and get an Eastman 486, with Duncan 59s already in it. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	5804260
        Last edited by Phelonious Ponk; 12-01-2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardrocker77 View Post
          Hello everyone, i need you help!
          I want a warm and smooth sounding guitar, for blues and clean. The opposite of my RG with hot rodded set.
          I would like to buy an ibanez hollowbody, i like doublecut guitars but I prefer the look and quality of ibanez over epiphone dot/sheraton. I play low volume at home, so no feedback issues.

do you suggest i should buy:
          Artcore Expressionist AS93, with Super 58 alnico pickup, flamed top and golden hardware.

or
          Artcore AS73 and replace the pickups with SD Seth Lover

Both paths cost almost the same (around 650 €), so it's not about the price.
          The guitars differ almost only in look and pickup.

Every opinion is welcome, thank you in advance!
          I have an Ibanez AKJ95 (jazz box, full hollow) with super 58s and I really like them. They're definitely clean sounding pick-ups, very mellow yet articulated. Very impressive. I assume there will be subtle différences in a semi-hollow but, if you're looking for a more clean oriented guitar, they would be a great choice ime/imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Phelonious Ponk View Post
            They're both beautiful, but personally, I'd spend a couple of hundred more and get an Eastman 486, with Duncan 59s already in it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]85020[/ATTACH]
            Maybe within a couple hundred for a real good deal on a used 486 compared to a new AS93. But otherwise, more than a couple hundred more.

Comment

I have an older Ibanez Artstar AS-120 in Transparent red. Fine guitar, and I really like the Super 58 pickups. I've never felt that I needed to replace them, even though I have Duncans in some of my other guitars.

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

That Eastman is certainly a gorgeous piece!
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Thank you everyone!
                  The ACH are not well reviewed as the super 58, I really need a good sounding guitar for blues and clean.
                  Unfortunately the price is really a problem, i can't go over 650 €, it used to be 600 € already...
                  I will probably go for the AS93, I'm gonna try it after dicember.

If you have other suggestions or experience to share, they are very welcome. Thanks!

Comment

The ACH = A Ceramic Humbucker
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I'd go for the AS93. It's gorgeous and you may just find that the 58s are perfect for what you want.

That Eastman is really amazingly beautiful, however.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I’m gonna give another plug for the Super-58s here. I was using that guitar last night at practice and it never fails to remind me how sweet-sounding it is.
                        Originally posted by The Commodores?
                        "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

93 over the 73 any day of the week

58's are generally excellent
                          My Bands -
                          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

The Eastman would be twice the price as the Ibanez.

This thing is sweet!

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

OK I'm sold!! I can wait to try the 93!!! I promised myself to wait until 2018 but..

Comment

Working...
                              X