Thoughts on Les Paul Special VE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Les Paul Special VE

It's an inexpensive guitar, bolt-on neck, but I could use it as a test bed for modifications before I try them on a better quality guitar. Plus it looks nice. Any real downside I'm missing?

* I've been looking used but most of what I'm seeing is couple hundred dollars more or in-person there are real issues with the guitar that aren't easily fixed (worn down frets, loose truss rod, physical damage etc). I'm good at electronics though, so upgrading pickups, control knobs etc I can do. Anything with wood is more a "I can probably figure it out..." scenario; which I'm trying to avoid until the summer when I can do the work outside.
    Beginning Guitarist with Custom Building Streak a Mile Long!
    Songs I wish I could play!

Re: Thoughts on Les Paul Special VE

At that price...why not?

Comment

Some more inexpensive guitars have fret issues, or other playability issues that mods can't really fix. It is best that you at least play it first and that you see if there is no neck issues, or that you actually like the way it plays. If you find the one for you, great!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Some more inexpensive guitars have fret issues, or other playability issues that mods can't really fix. It is best that you at least play it first and that you see if there is no neck issues, or that you actually like the way it plays. If you find the one for you, great!
        I can try one locally at the store, see how it plays and put it through its paces. Assuming I find it play okay, then I good?

the alternative I was thinking of was a Headless Grote guitar, because they look cool.
        Last edited by Greyum; 12-06-2017, 01:44 PM.
        Beginning Guitarist with Custom Building Streak a Mile Long!
        Songs I wish I could play!

Comment

Working...
        X