Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narrower Trem/80s MIJ Strat?

Hello All,
    My 86 E-Series MIJ Squire Strat seems to have an issue with the E string slipping over the neck when I play sometimes. Jumbo frets and a new bone nut have remedied this problem greatly, but I still notice it's there every now and then. I am beginning to suspect the trem may be the culprit because I notice the E string plays best when the string is slide to the inside of the saddle instead of the middle. This is not one of the "Fender" labled trems and I believe the body is from their "57 reissue" stock. I may be all wet, but it looks exactly like a 1986 USA 57 Reissue Strat without the vintage keys and bridge. Any thoughts on a possible trem upgrade? ...and thanks!

Mine: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/atta...3&d=1444070406

USA Reissue: https://reverb.com/item/5722135-1986...w-time-capsule
    Last edited by revolution; 12-09-2017, 03:17 PM.

Re: Narrower Trem/80s MIJ Strat?

Measure two things for me. The six screw mounting screws (guessing 2 7/32") and then the E to E string spacing.

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

ok...thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
        Measure two things for me. The six screw mounting screws (guessing 2 7/32") and then the E to E string spacing.

The E string measurement is 2 1/8 when I even them with the saddle. Both E strings naturally want to gravitate towards the middle. The screw measurement is 2 and between 1/8 and 1/4. My tape measure is crude. Thanks again!
        Last edited by revolution; 12-09-2017, 07:16 PM.

Comment

2 1/8" string spacing is about as narrow as you are going to get. You wrote that you just replaced the nut, right? Was a pre-slotted thing, or a custom? How far in are your two E strings at the nut?

Click image for larger version

Name:	static1.squarespace.com.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	5804376
          -Chris

Comment

2 1/8" string spacing is about as narrow as you are going to get. You wrote that you just replaced the nut, right? Was a pre-slotted thing, or a custom? How far in are your two E strings at the nut?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]85222[/ATTACH]
            It was done by a guitar builder and really helped it. It was terrible with the stock nut.

Comment

It looks like 1/8, but I am using a tape measure. Thanks for your help!

Comment

A 1/8" is where most have it.

With a narrow spaced bridge and a proper nut, you should not be falling off the board edge. Does this happen on a different guitar? Could the frets have to severe of a bevel?
                -Chris

Comment

A 1/8" is where most have it.

With a narrow spaced bridge and a proper nut, you should not be falling off the board edge. Does this happen on a different guitar? Could the frets have to severe of a bevel?
                  No, he's a pro and builds amazing guitars. Maybe I am measuring the bridge wrong. Is that "Vintage Narrow" bridge in the ad you post earlier the most narrow you can get?

Comment

Measure from the center of the two E saddle screws. I did some reading and you may have a vintage spec string spacing (2 7/32"). You can replace that bridge with one that has as narrow as 2 1/8", but just need to know for sure what fits.
                    -Chris

Comment

Hey thanks for the help. I took it to a shop and I guess it has a 2 1/8" trem, so I am going narrower to 2 1/16" bridge!

Comment

What model tremolo are you ordering?

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                        X