New pickups in my PRS SE Custom 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pickups in my PRS SE Custom 24

Before and after pics of my 2017 PRS SE Custom 24 in Whale Blue. I Replaced the stock pickups with a set of chrome covered Seymour Duncan Custom 5 Trembucker/'59 pickups. Sounds amazing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C73DBEE4-2F6A-4716-8912-308E1FE3529E.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	5846404

Name:	738F4520-7233-487C-9BF1-5B19A5D94ED0.jpg
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	5846405

Name:	A578B603-C834-4915-9794-1FACEC1821A6.jpg
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	5846406

Re: New pickups in my PRS SE Custom 24

I liked it the way it was but I think the new pickups look marginally better. It's a great looking guitar any way you look at it! I had one of those and it was a really nice guitar.
    My website - https://stevenamckay.com/

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
    MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.
    Spark Mini, Marshall DSL20HR, 1912.

Comment

I think it looks a lot better with the covered pickups in there. I bet it sounds better, too!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The new SE 85/15 pickups are better than what they had before in these guitars, but still aren't as good as the Custom 5 and '59 set. Not even close IMHO.

Comment

Yeah it looks way classier with covers. You know I never understood the zebra look. It's like a pair of bowling shoes or clown shoes with a suit.

Comment

I didn't mind the zebra look at all. If I'd had a set of Zebra Custom 5/59 pickups instead of these chrome covered ones I would have put them in and still been happy.

Comment

I put a custom 2 and an alnico 2 pro in my custom 24. How does the custom 5 sound with yours? I really like the look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Calsip View Post
                I put a custom 2 and an alnico 2 pro in my custom 24. How does the custom 5 sound with yours? I really like the look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                A Custom 2? You mean a Custom Custom?

I like the Custom 5 a lot. I know it's a bit of a scooped sound, but with the mahogany body/neck guitar it doesn't feel so scooped to me. Good output to push an amp with great lows and smooth highs. The mids are good, but not overbearing. I have this same pickup in 7 other guitars and it's great in all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bone-BBQ View Post
                  A Custom 2? You mean a Custom Custom?

I like the Custom 5 a lot. I know it's a bit of a scooped sound, but with the mahogany body/neck guitar it doesn't feel so scooped to me. Good output to push an amp with great lows and smooth highs. The mids are good, but not overbearing. I have this same pickup in 7 other guitars and it's great in all of them.
                  This is really the key- it won't sound scooped at all if your guitar has some mids. I use one in a poplar Music Man, and it is really balanced...doesn't sound scooped at all.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    This is really the key- it won't sound scooped at all if your guitar has some mids. I use one in a poplar Music Man, and it is really balanced...doesn't sound scooped at all.
                    I've also noticed that the scale of the guitar has some effect. My PRS SE Santana has the 24.5" scale, but a mahogany body/neck and my Pacifica 212VQM has the standard Fender 25.5" scale with an alder body/maple neck and the Santana sounds more scooped than the Pacifica even with the mahogany wood. I also sounds more scooped than my PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd Rose with the 25" scale. Doesn't sound bad at all...just more scooped in the mids in the Santana.

Comment

Working...
                    X