Best Custom Guitar Service?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Custom Guitar Service?

What do you guys think is the best service where you can custom order a guitar? I've always thought it would be cool to have my own "signature" guitar.

Re: Best Custom Guitar Service?

Depends on how custom you want it, and in what style. There are people who are really great at what they do, (e.g. D'Avanzo, Suhr, Anderson) and some that will go all out, but the more "out there" the more the cost.
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Best is a word that inherently involves a personal judgement.

So you have to make your judgement criteria known to us as to what you expect from the process.......

Comment

G&L

You can get every single spec made to order at the same price as if it was in the shop. No obscene cost adders. Amazing quality.
        Last edited by esandes; 12-19-2017, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Most 'Custom Shops' are not that custom- you can't order anything from Fender or Gibson that isn't one of their standard shapes, for instance. You get to select from specific parameters unique to each style. If you want a truly custom guitar built, there are a lot of choices...we even have some great builders on our forum.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just go out and buy yourself a slab of wood and a router and build one yourself (buy the neck though, dam those look complex).
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	5804491
            Beginning Guitarist with Custom Building Streak a Mile Long!
            Songs I wish I could play!

Comment

Another vote for G&L.

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

This totally depends on the level of customization we are talking about here, and if we're including customer-service and process-inclusiveness in the discussion.

Comment

Jackson makes killer guitars, but the wait list is 2 years long.
                  ESP will do crazy custom work (check out the Alfee angel carved guitars), and you'll pay through the roof for one
                  Suhr, Anderson, Tyler, Baker G&L, Dean- all have good woodshops.
                  Schecter USA has been puttiing some great guitars out recently
                  18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Comment

The first question: what are you looking for? For instance, I can vouch very highly of James Byrd's guitars (www.byrdguitars.com). I have one, and it is the best guitar I have ever played, but, the actual options for building one are very limited: you basically get one body shape and neck type, and good luck if you want to convince him to put a humbucker in it! He has a very firm idea about what he wants in his guitars, and nobody has managed to make him budge on some key points yet.

The reason I mention this is that he would be my #1 suggestion if you want a stratty guitar, but I couldn't recommend him for anything else. Likewise, there are other makers that do particular things very well. Relatively few makers do everything equally well.

Comment

Basically I just want a seafoam green flying V with no neck pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Octopus View Post
                        Jackson makes killer guitars, but the wait list is 2 years long.
                        ESP will do crazy custom work (check out the Alfee angel carved guitars), and you'll pay through the roof for one
                        Suhr, Anderson, Tyler, Baker G&L, Dean- all have good woodshops.
                        Schecter USA has been puttiing some great guitars out recently
                        Custom Jacksons are not cheap either.

I was gonna throw Carvin out there too.
                        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by Name View Post
                          Basically I just want a seafoam green flying V with no neck pickup.
                          check out Sullyguitars.com

GMW might be worth a look too.
                          18 Guitars and counting

The captain of sexy!

Comment

Depends on your budget really. If you want a "seafoam green flying V with no neck pickup", maybe you should contract or commission a build from a skilled luthier. I had to do that for my fireman tele (built from scratch). Can't argue with the results.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have had Carvin build me a 5 string bass some years ago
                              Neck thru with Koa wings. Beautiful
                              I recently contracted an Asian builder for my latest guitar

It just cleared customs yesterday I'm excited

I will let you know how that turns out

Asian builder is much less expensive
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X