Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson JS32 Dinky parts

Hello all,

For the life of me, I can never find a place that helps me narrow down parts.

Long story short, I’m swapping pickups and I’m taking out stock pups and both pots are different. The volume is a 500k and the tone is 250k. Not sure if that’s normal. Tried researching online for parts replacement and got the usual runaround.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Jackson JS32 Dinky parts

Originally posted by mjharrison7 View Post
    Hello all,

For the life of me, I can never find a place that helps me narrow down parts.

Long story short, I’m swapping pickups and I’m taking out stock pups and both pots are different. The volume is a 500k and the tone is 250k. Not sure if that’s normal. Tried researching online for parts replacement and got the usual runaround.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Actually I take that back. Both are 500k but one is an A500K (tone) and one is B500k (volume) That’s still normal yeah?

Comment

It's politically incorrect and considered bullying to belittle Jackson, or anybody else, just because he has dinky parts ...

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

A is log ("audio") taper, B is linear taper.

It would be considered normal for the manufacture to use a log / "audio" taper pot for tone and a linear taper pot for volume. They don't all do it that way, but some, or many do. Players have different preferences for what type of taper their volume and tone pots have. There really is no right or wrong.
      Last edited by Darg1911; 12-21-2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Toss all that garbage in the bin and order two 500k Audio pots (CTS, DiMarzio, or Bourns) and a 3-way or 5-way CRL switch. The switch is dependant on the wiring you plan to use, and you will need a capacitor.
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Thank you all! I have definitely considered swapping all electronics and starting over but I need the neck pick up first.

Is it doable to hook up a new bridge pick up and keep the old neck pick up in? Or would it have to be completely rewired?

Comment

It should be no problem to just swap the bridge pup.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
              It should be no problem to just swap the bridge pup.
              That’s kinda what I figured except I looked at the wiring diagram for my layout and the configuration is WAY different. Wires are positioned differently and the stock pups have only 3 wires and the new ones have 5 (well 3 when you join the red and white)

Tried re-wiring the same way and got no sound.

Comment

There are members here who can create diagrams to pretty much walk you through it. Try posting as a new topic in the pickup forum. Including a diagram (or photo's) of the existing wiring would probably help them help you.

Comment

I suspect the wire colors are not the same. What is the new pickup?
                  Last edited by Ayrton; 12-22-2017, 03:14 PM.
                  -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                    I suspect the wire colors are not the same. What is the new pickup?
                    New pick up is a Seymour Duncan SH-6B

If you can view the photo this is what I’m dealing with but the switch is a straight line. 8 straight posts. My old pick up had a hot and a ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                      There are members here who can create diagrams to pretty much walk you through it. Try posting as a new topic in the pickup forum. Including a diagram (or photo's) of the existing wiring would probably help them help you.
                      Thanks for the recommendation! I’m going to definitely do that. Should I basically put “Wiring Diagram Request” in the subject or something?

Comment

Assuming you changed nothing else, the black goes to the switch, green and bare to the ground and connect red and white.

Did you disconnect the neck or something?
                        -Chris

Comment

Assuming you changed nothing else, the black goes to the switch, green and bare to the ground and connect red and white.

Did you disconnect the neck or something?
                          Not that I know of. I did the same thing connecting black to the switch and soldered together and taped the red and white and green and bare went to the volume pot and nothing...

Comment

Take a clear picture of where you are now and we will get you sorted out.
                            -Chris

Comment

Take a clear picture of where you are now and we will get you sorted out.

Basically, the bridge pickup is completely disconnected. The only one connected is the neck pick up

Comment

Working...
                              X