banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I Bought a S.G. & I kinda hate S.G.’s....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I Bought a S.G. & I kinda hate S.G.’s....

Click image for larger version

Name:	E58002F0-BDC1-46DA-9DBC-17CA8AF8DA8D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	5846442

So I bought one of these silly things yesterday...

It’s a NOS 2016 70’s S.G. Tribute & I picked it up for $600 shipped. I’ve never been a big S.G. guy but recently I’ve been craving something with mini-buckers or Tron’s for some tonal verity & for the price I figured it was worth a try?

The stock pickups aren’t the greatest but again for what I spent on the guitar it won’t kill me to drop in a set Duncan antiquities in a month or so & they’ll be fine until I get em swapped out. Hopefully I can get them to send me one with a decent neck angle without having to return three of them first!!! It’s been my experience that the lower priced S.G.’s in particular are just all over the place in this department so fingers crossed......
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: So I Bought a S.G. & I kinda hate S.G.’s....

SGs are Gibsons Strat - comfortable to play. Doesn't quite have the girth sound of an LP but some pickup swaps can get you firmly back in the same territory.

Comment

I was not all that wowed by them either until I stumbled into a good deal on used custom shop model. Now I have three but I agree they very “hit or miss” (for me at least)
      Last edited by Ayrton; 12-24-2017, 06:19 PM.
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        SGs are Gibsons Strat - comfortable to play. Doesn't quite have the girth sound of an LP but some pickup swaps can get you firmly back in the same territory.
        I don’t know... I’ve always thought of them as 2X4’s with strings & they are a bit neck heavy but when they are put together correctly they are alright I guess? Definitely lighter than my L.P.’s which will be a welcome change!!!

I just turned 38.. Now that I’m older & own my own business I can finally afford some of the great guitars I wanted when I was young & broke, but I’ve given so much of my back to that same busines that I can’t hardly hold the dang things anymore, lol!!!
        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

My SGs aren't particularly neck heavy, not like people make it sound. None of them "neck dive" but they will slide downward if using a slick leather strap and walking around without holding the guitar, two things I never do. Using a different strap solves any issue there. My main SG I use a cotton weave strap that is very comfortable and doesn't allow the guitar to move.

Comment

I still want an SG someday, after I cure my Gas for having a great LP back in my stable. That is a pretty good deal you got..... if you get a decent one like you said. I've never had a mini bucket guitar before. I hope it sounds fantastic. Congrats.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

Some nice light tuners and they barely neck dive with what I've owned.

But I agree on the hit/miss thing. The 2 I have now are nice, but had 2 more to go through to get to this point.

Comment

I've got a 62 LP/SG and love it to death... kind of a 1 trick poney...not as versital as a strat and less sustain than a Les Paul.

But hard to beat from light crunch to acdc land. Great bloom, easy to control feedback, much more focused than a traditional LesPaul.

So hope you enjoy and play lots of Who!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
                What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

If you order a guitar sight unseen without playing it first you deserve all of the hassles that come with said practice.

Also, declaritive sentences don't require question marks.
                  green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Hope it is a good one for you!! Ive never been a big SG fan. (looks) But wanted to add one to the stable and got a great deal on an EPI G400 a few years back. It was a darn nice axe.. Played great, stock pups werent bad, (but swapped em) and had none of the neck dive I hear about. Ended up rolling it, but wouldnt hesitate to get another
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Maybe you've always kind of hated them because you write it as S.G. instead of SG

I've never found neck dive to be an issue. I keep my fretting hand under the neck. What I hate is guitars that are body heavy and tilt the neck up since I don't have a hand above the neck pushing it down. I've played many Les Pauls that do that while sitting.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

The SG is a fantastic rock machine. Enjoy.

Comment

I am not a big SG fan, but that one looks really cool. I think you will be fine.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I am not a big SG fan, but that one looks really cool. I think you will be fine.
                            No Tele, and no SG love?!

Last edited by Ayrton; 12-25-2017, 12:09 AM.
                            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

I really like the 70's trib SG, pickups and all

Good luck with it
                              My Bands -
                              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                              X