Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Yamaha EG 112 project

Hi guys,

I haven't posted in a while because I was a little busy but now in christmas I am filling my life with guitars So, after my Ibanez RG project (finally put Pegasus-Sentient and converting it into a hard-tail guitar) and my Aria II Legend Tele project (Quarter pounds, 4-way switch, new colour and new bridge) I bought to a friend this guitar, a blue Yamaha EG 112 for like 18 $.

It is filled with dust and a bit of rust, but without any visible scratch, with all its parts (but no whammy bar sadly) and working in a regular condition (sounds ok but pots are a bit noisy). And I want to transform it into a good, reliable guitar.

My ideas are:

New pups: a single Hot P-rails (the alnico 8 one) or maybe matched with its pair, but dunno if it is worth to make new holes in the body for a neck humbucker. And I don't know if I can even put the triple-shot. This means of course new electronics (pots, switches and a new jack) and a new custom pickguard (I don't know if a Strat-like one will match this guitar body).

New springs for the bridge, or even a new bridge (not so expensive one, like a Gotoh or a Wilkinson)

New strap buttons.

But, after all my thinking I have only one question:

Is it all of this worth it for this guitar? Or I better just clean it up and use it as a practicing one for home, and just that?

I maybe use it at little gigs, but no more than that. But I don't know if this model will resist everything I'll put. And if it won't be broken or bended in a week.

I love to customize my guitars, but I don't want to waste my money and time in a useless way.

Guys, could you help me?

Thanks in advance!

PD: Merry Christmas!
    Last edited by Elmasodoacro; 12-24-2017, 11:21 PM.

A Yamaha EG 112 project

If you REALLY want to do this, I would at least stay away from new routing or pickguard.

The normal PRAILS is plenty hot already IMHO. you can match it with a single sized HB in the neck to avoid routing. Use push/pulls to get your favorite prails positions but you’ll likely be limited.

Feels like you may want a different guitar TBH. You can get a guitar that is routed standard for HH and buy a prewired pickguard with prails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Blille; 12-27-2017, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Re: A Yamaha EG 112 project

This is the thing-
      Projects like this are fun, and only you can judge if that time/fun/experience gained is worth it. Sure, you can put the money in a new instrument, but this one will have a good story, and it is something you upgraded over time so the monetary impact isn't as bad all at once. I say...have a blast. Go for it.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: A Yamaha EG 112 project

Honestly, unless you can find a used P-Rail (which has two magnets anyway, so you'll need more than just an A8, maybe an A4 or A5) I'd go with a cheaper and less transparent pickup. GFS, Artec, and Iron Gear are all excellent options for cheap pickups that can make a budget guitar sound decent.

The thing about cheap guitars is that pickups that we often see as "good" tend to be transparent and enhance the already present acoustic characteristics of the guitar, you don't really want that in a guitar that cost the same as a hardback copy of 50 Shades Of Grey. Like a used Gibson 498t. It sounds more or less the same in most guitars of similar scale, regardless of wood or hardware.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Working...
        X