banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reason not to southpaw the guitar controls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reason not to southpaw the guitar controls?

I’m wondering if there is good reason I’m unaware of to put the controls behind yet above the bridge rather than bellow?

This would then mean that the tremolo bar doesn’t interfere with the controls and vide-versa.

Photo for reference: I apologize for it’s sketchness.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2B436D07-4872-4FF7-BF3B-F91A68A717EF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	5846457
    Last edited by Greyum; 12-25-2017, 04:15 PM.
    Beginning Guitarist with Custom Building Streak a Mile Long!
    Songs I wish I could play!

Re: Any reason not to southpaw the guitar controls?

I suspect because moving them to the top of the guitar would put them in the way of most players' forearms. It would also require a larger movement away from playing position any time one needs to adjust controls.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

It also means that you can't set your hand there. Some people like it because it's easier to get to the controls (that's why Hendrix did it) but it also makes it easier to hit them on accident.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Then your arm interferes with them. People knock guitars that don't have contouring to the top, and complain when bridges dig into their palm.......add in knobs that dig into the forearm and that could be the least ergonomic guitar out there.

Comment

Didn't know anyone could draw worse than myself! lol

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
            Didn't know anyone could draw worse than myself! lol

It’s a 10 second sketch to show the proposed position versus initial controls location. I actually can draw...

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              I suspect because moving them to the top of the guitar would put them in the way of most players' forearms. It would also require a larger movement away from playing position any time one needs to adjust controls.
              Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              It also means that you can't set your hand there. Some people like it because it's easier to get to the controls (that's why Hendrix did it) but it also makes it easier to hit them on accident.
              Originally posted by AlexR View Post
              Then your arm interferes with them. People knock guitars that don't have contouring to the top, and complain when bridges dig into their palm.......add in knobs that dig into the forearm and that could be the least ergonomic guitar out there.
              Good points, I’ll keep the controls in the normal lower position.

Comment

I would need pinky access to the controls. I'd be lost without that.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                X