New Old G&L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Old G&L

So picking this up local tomorrow: $399 with the original case. The only thing missing is the backplate, everything else appears original.

Almost disappointed in myself because I don't need it and think I'll sell after a while... But I'll probably still unload some other stuff to make a place for it, in case it makes a permanent divot in my guitar room. No spoilers yet beyond the below, but I'll acknowledge if someone can guess the model:

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	5846486
    Last edited by Silence Kid; 12-28-2017, 01:07 PM.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: New Old G&L

Legacy i-l1600?
    “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Nope, not a Legacy.
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

S-500, F-100, Cavalier or SC-3 would be my guesses. If that is a guitar with a "B" serial number, that qualifies as a rarebird, btw. I'm big fan of Leo-Era G&Ls.

(Drooling in anticipation!)

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Good job Boogie Bill... '87 . G0 serial. Seller found the backplate; still need to clean it up and even play it but I have to go to work.

Amazed at the condition. Much better than the posted pics appeared.

Last edited by Silence Kid; 12-28-2017, 07:50 PM.

Comment

That’s very cool, what a great find. Congrats.

Comment

Very nice looking axe you have.

;>)/
              sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Thanks! I have a vacation day tomorrow to spend some time and play it; it was sold to me as needing a setup, though the neck relief and action seem spot on (maybe can go a tad lower on the treble strings.) There's very little fret-wear. Not sure the case is the original, it's an "Access" model and looks newer but fits perfect, tight. Have the trem arm too.

The G&L factory (if you can term it that, it's a small building in an industrial park) is a few miles from my house, and I always had a sentimental attachment to the company for that reason in particular; Leo is buried in the same cemetery as a lot of my family. Like most/all G&Ls this is a ridiculously solid guitar. It's been a good day, drove to LA to pick it up and the weather was beautiful, not even any traffic. Now to figure out how it sounds!
                Last edited by Silence Kid; 12-28-2017, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post
                  Thanks! I have a vacation day tomorrow to spend some time and play it; it was sold to me as needing a setup, though the neck relief and action seem spot on (maybe can go a tad lower on the treble strings.) There's very little fret-wear. Not sure the case is the original, it's an "Access" model and looks newer but fits perfect, tight. Have the trem arm too.

The G&L factory (if you can term it that, it's a small building in an office park) is a few miles from my house, and I always had a sentimental attachment to the company for that reason in particular; Leo is buried in the same cemetery as a lot of my family. Like most/all G&Ls this is a ridiculously solid guitar. Now to figure out how it sounds!
                  I've played G & L guitars in the past at my local music store and they are very impressive playing instruments I must say. I really like the bridge design...how do you find it staying in tune & all?

;>)/
                  sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Trem is very smooth, stays in tune well, like a Fender American Deluxe Trem (which is what I'm comparing it to side-by-side.) It has a bit more range than the Deluxe, possibly due to block size or maybe string guage differences. The arm screws in with an allen wrench. There are fewer sharp edges on the bridge than the Am. Deluxe which makes it more comfortable to play.

The neck seems to be high radius (series I spec?) but I'm not sure. The pickups are punchy, barky, lots of midrange; not as hot as a humbucker but very hot still. A lot of Strat quack to be found. Very even tonality, but on the bright side of things, possibly due to the maple body.

Ah I'm in love. It's probably the most comfortable guitar I've ever just picked up and played. The only screw I've turned is D intonation (I will prob. also adjust the trem claw a bit, as the bridge is just off-level.) The body has deep contours, the neck is chunky without feeling huge. It just plays very well, thanks to the frets being well intact in part. I bought this guitar due to positive experiences with my dad's F100 (pictured below.) It feels a lot like that, but better, because the saddle-lock bridge tended to be uncomfortable for me to use (being a huge chunk of metal where I like to rest my hand.) It feels like a vintage Fender that you can't break, and with somewhat more modern appointments.

(The F100 was originally a matching color scheme...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	_57_zpsaxlddxwe (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	5804639

Comment

Working...
                    X