Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone school me on vintage acoustics

OK, gang.

I’m thinking of making the leap into the vintage guitar market. My wife has given me a nice allowance toward some “special” gear for my 50th birthday coming up this summer. One of the things I’m looking at is a birth year guitar. My favorite acoustic guitars are slope shoulder dreadnoughts like the J45.

Someone school me on what to look out for in these guitars.

I’m seeing some interesting things at some of the sites I frequent, but I’m trying to learn as much as I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Someone school me on vintage acoustics

Watch out for cracks, repairs. Not all repairs are bad - professionally done can result in a guitar that will play on for years but be more affordable. You just don't want a hack glue job by Uncle Fred in his woodworking garage. Also the weight, tone and loudness of the guitar will hint at whether the wood is dried out.

Comment

Re: Someone school me on vintage acoustics

The top should have only a slight bulge. The string angle over the bridge should not to shallow or steep.
      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Working...
      X