What's the deal with double dots on the 7th fret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the deal with double dots on the 7th fret

I don't usually venture over to the acoustic side of the house, but over New Years I got the chance to play a replica of Johnny Cash's famous D-35. The first thing I noticed was that it had double dots. Apparently a good bit of Martins have that style of inlays.
    I assumed that the reason is because when people play acoustic they need the fret markers for a different reason. Electric players use them to know where they are further up the neck and the octave has two inlays because it's special, but I assume acoustic players use them as warnings of sorts. The 5th fret dot means "ease up buddy, you're getting kind of crazy" and the double on the 7th means "you really shouldn't be up here". But what's the real reason?
    Please note the above comments come from a guy who built a five fret acoustic with the chord diagrams for E,A,D,G, and C as inlays for his brother in-law.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: What's the deal with double dots on the 7th fret

I guess, like many other things...tradition? Martin did it, and many other companies copied them. So we now have a lot of acoustics in the wild like that. Another thought is sort of what you said..the acoustics' 7th fret is sort of like the electrics' 12th fret- it is easy to figure out where you are.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I understand how it could be tradition, but I wonder how it started. Is it really that hard to remember the second dot is the 7th fret? It could also mark the perfect 5th of an open string, but I don't really see the point in marking it any different than the others.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I have no idea who started it, but many early guitars didn't have a 3rd position dot. So it would make sense to have 1 dot, 2 dots, 1 dot, 2 dots from a visual/location standpoint.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Probably decorative, then tradition.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Just cuz.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I always just assumed that they are fret markers just as electric players use them.

Comment

Maybe something to do with using a capo?

Comment

Well, 7th and 12th frets are 5th and octave notes from open string. The octave is the first to get the extra visual embellishment in most instances.....so the 7th is only logical to be the second.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    Is it really that hard to remember the second dot is the 7th fret?
                    Could be, since the second dot is the 5th fret.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy View Post
                      Could be, since the second dot is the 5th fret.
                      Not on Martins. They don't have a 3rd fret dot.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                        Not on Martins. They don't have a 3rd fret dot.
                        Ha! Shows what I know about them there acoustical's.

Comment

That brings another question, what's the deal with guitars that have a 1st fret dot? It looks dumb and helps no one.

Comment

The reason for the double dot is because that is where the string length is cut in half. The 12th fret on the electric is the halfway point between the bridge and nut. The significance of the halfway point is it is where the vibration value of the string is doubled and the resulting pitch is an octave above the open string. Thus the "Double dot" for octave. I am not really sure why your acoustics have it on the 7th fret becuase all acoustics I have seen and owned have had it on the 12th fret like an electric.
                            "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
                            Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
                            Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
                            Jackson dx10d
                            DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
                            MXR Carbon Copy
                            MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Comment

Originally posted by PierceOkken View Post
                              I am not really sure why your acoustics have it on the 7th fret becuase all acoustics I have seen and owned have had it on the 12th fret like an electric.
                              The fancier Martins have them.

Comment

Working...
                              X