Problems with Sustainiac eating batteries so fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Sustainiac eating batteries so fast

I have used Jackson DK2S, MIJ, year 2007 now for about a year and the problem is, it eats 9V battery like candies. I mean, the sustainiac function stop functioning in about 2-3 days after i change the battery.. Anyone have a Sustainiac in a guitar and is it possible that is something wrong with wiring? I am already thinking about replacing the sustainiac pickup with some Lil 59 and have an additional neck humbucker pickup for extra versatility, i found out that i don't use that sustainiac function that often.

Re: Problems with Sustainiac eating batteries so fast

Do you have it wired so that when you unplug the guitar the circuit for the battery is broken? If not that could explain it. I've never used a Sustainiac so I wouldn't no at what rate they draw power. You can also do the same thing with a switch so that when the Sustainiac is off it doesn't waste your battery.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

If there's room in the cavity I believe you can wire it so it draws off two batteries instead of one while still being 9v operation.
      Not talking about 18v operation, that's a different wiring.
      Must be something going on though that needs addressed first.

Comment

If you do go the 2 batteries route, make sure they are wired in parallel, not series.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

I also have a DK2S, but I don't have that problem. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I leave the Sustainiac shut off. Maybe your on/off switch is going bad?
          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Do you unplug it when not playing?
            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Yes, i shot the switch off eveytime i stop playing.. I don't know, i will probably bring the guitar into local service man to check the wiring out. Or, maybe i will just buy SD Lil 59 cause i don't use the sustainiac that much and i want neck humbucker sound. Thanks for answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lux84 View Post
                Yes, i shot the switch off eveytime i stop playing.. I don't know, i will probably bring the guitar into local service man to check the wiring out. Or, maybe i will just buy SD Lil 59 cause i don't use the sustainiac that much and i want neck humbucker sound. Thanks for answers.
                Not turn the switch off, we mean physically unplug the guitar. But if you want a neck humbucker, go for it. The Lil 59 is an excellent choice.

Comment

Yeah if you don't unplug the cable it's still drawing voltage.
                  Last edited by dave74; 01-07-2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    Do you have it wired so that when you unplug the guitar the circuit for the battery is broken? If not that could explain it. I've never used a Sustainiac so I wouldn't no at what rate they draw power. You can also do the same thing with a switch so that when the Sustainiac is off it doesn't waste your battery.

That is probably what the problem is a switch would correct the problem. Godin has a push button on their HDR, but if you forget to shut it off soon as you unplug the guitar it breaks the circuit so you don't drain the battery. Godin claims 200 hours playing time on the 9V battery that's pretty darn good.
                    If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

No, i don't unplug the cable, i'll try. Tommorow i'll change the fresh battery, unplug it after playing and see how much time it will last.. Thanks for a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lux84 View Post
                        No, i don't unplug the cable, i'll try. Tommorow i'll change the fresh battery, unplug it after playing and see how much time it will last.. Thanks for a suggestion.
                        Yeah, not unplugging the cable is exactly what the problem is. It's no different than leaving a cable plugged into a stompbox.
                        Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                          Yeah, not unplugging the cable is exactly what the problem is. It's no different than leaving a cable plugged into a stompbox.
                          Pedals still get me now and then. You'd think one would remember after three decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post
                            +1 on that

my active bass does the same...have to unplug it

Comment

Working...
                            X