Locking Nut or...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking Nut or...?

One of my projects is already routed for a Floyd Rose style trem, so that’s what I plan to put on it. However I’m not a big trem user and I‘m not crazy about the fine tuners or locking nut. The fine tuners, of course, are along for the ride no matter what, but I’m thinking that I might be able to get away with a roller nut and locking tuners instead of the locking nut. I just don’t have the experience with a Floyd to be certain.

What say you?
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Re: Locking Nut or...?

A roller nut works just fine for a Floyd equipped guitar. I got one of the reissue NFT Floyd Roses with a LSR roller nut nut and it stays intune just fine with serious whammy bar use. Locking tuners will probably help if your current tuners aren't up to par.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

It doesn’t have any tuners yet, but I’m a fan of the locking ones anyway. Just trying to look ahead a bit.

Comment

Locking tuners is the way to go.
        If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

Locking tuners
          I put that chit on everything

Just set up a friends guitar, put locking tuners on

The first upgrade to any guitar

Roller nuts and bridges are magic

I have a.locking nut on my RG4 that I have

The whole point if the fine tuners, is so you don't have to keep taking those durned clamps off
          While the strings settle in
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Another vote for a roller nut and locking tuners. I have 2 guitars equipped with a Floyd and a Floyd replica (a poor one). The poor one is blocked completely and I don't play the other much at all. It's just a pain to unlock the nut, tune it, lock the nut, tune it again (micro adjustments), etc. It stays in tune just fine, but I'd rather have the roller nut and locking tuners.

Maybe someday if I ever update that guitar I'll do the roller nut and new tuners. It's an 80's oddity so I've left it alone except for pickup changes.

Good luck with the new project and post pics when done.
            My Sound Clips

Comment

Locking Nut or...?

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              Locking tuners
              I put that chit on everything

Just set up a friends guitar, put locking tuners on

The first upgrade to any guitar

Roller nuts and bridges are magic

I have a.locking nut on my RG4 that I have

The whole point if the fine tuners, is so you don't have to keep taking those durned clamps off
              While the strings settle in
              Right?

My trusty old Westone (in my avatar) has had the Floyd blocked right from when I did the upgrades after the fire because I remember how much of a PIA it was to get out an Allen wrench every time I needed to adjust a string further than the fine tuners wanted to move (particularly right after a change).

EDIT: Lol... does this sound familiar Jeff_H? It has locking tuners as well, but it’s a crap trem on there. It’s just fine blocked, which was my original intent... couldn’t find a reasonably priced hard tail bridge to cover the rout. But I kinda wanted to give the Floyd another try on this project... it’s been a long, long time and I have a ton more knowledge and ability than I had twenty years ago!

As for locking tuners on everything, I agree 100%. They make string changes a breeze and their stability is like a rock. I only have two guitars that still need the upgrade... my RG because it has pewter hardware and I haven’t yet found a reasonably priced set in that color, and my Perfect 10 Bich because I just haven’t pulled the trigger yet on needing to buy two sets for one guitar! Both of them are pretty solid anyway too, so I haven’t felt like it’s been a priority.
              Last edited by BriGuy1968; 01-13-2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
                Good luck with the new project and post pics when done.
                Here’s a sneak-peek from when I was mocking up the neck and pickups earlier today... [emoji6]

Comment

Locking tuners are my vote. Roller nut if you wish.
                  I like the metallic gold.
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Thanks... the gold is a work in progress and still needs a bazillion coats of clear, but I think it’s gonna come out pretty cool.

I figured that the tuners would probably be okay by themselves, but that the roller nut would be an added bonus. Also, the roller nut I’m looking at will cover the wide nut shelf (for a locking nut) that’s already there on the neck.

Comment

Would thes be the ones you are looking for
                      I don't know how to link from the aliexpress app

EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        Would thes be the ones you are looking for
                        I don't know how to link from the aliexpress app

Sweet!

I hadn’t thought about AliExpress... I just placed my first order ever through them yesterday (knobs for my other project). I didn’t even consider looking for pewter (smoky) tuners... thanks man!

Comment

Love the gold color and the fretboard inlay. That is going to be sweet when you're all done. I forgot that the guitar in your avatar almost burned up in the fire. It's cool to know it's still rocking. THAT's rock and roll!
                          My Sound Clips

Comment

No one has issues using only a roller nut, and then slacking the strings using the Floyd? They wouldn't even be held in place, it would seem. Or do we just not slack the strings? I'd go with a locking nut. Locking tuners have a purpose to minimize or eliminate string wraps, they don't lock tuning in themselves.
                            Originally posted by King Buzzo
                            I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Locking tuners have a purpose to minimize or eliminate string wraps, they don't lock tuning in themselves.
                              Excuse me?
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X