banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson guitars with satin/matte/smooth necks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson guitars with satin/matte/smooth necks?

I really want to buy some gibson guitars (Specifically an SG but also interested in Les pauls (please also recommend v's and explorers too if you know any)) but I hate the glossy and sticky necks on most of them, I know of 1 gibson guitar that comes with a satin neck which is the sg faded 2016 t, however I can't seem to find many others and I'd like to know if there are more options.

Re: Gibson guitars with satin/matte/smooth necks?

It's not too hard to sand it down yourself if you feel comfortable with it, and weren't you just asking for pickups on another thread? You should probably get the guitar and find out it's particular tonal nuances before you choose a set of pickups.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
      It's not too hard to sand it down yourself if you feel comfortable with it, and weren't you just asking for pickups on another thread? You should probably get the guitar and find out it's particular tonal nuances before you choose a set of pickups.
      Aha yes I was but was thinking of putting them into a different guitar :P Don't really want to mess with gibson products though so was wondering if any came without the need to do that.

Comment

The Studio models I believe come with either satin or matte and certain traditionals come in satin.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

LP Traditional Pro
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I also prefer the non-glossy necks, as I tend to sweat a lot a my hands stick to the back of the neck on occasions. I have. Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded from 2016, it has the rounded 50‘s neck with a matte finish, I love the way it feels and plays.

From 2016 I think the Studio faded and 50‘s & 60‘s Tribute have those finishes on the neck.
            From 2017 I‘ve only tried the Tribute, it‘s also matte but is a thinner neck, called the 60‘s slim taper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              The Studio models I believe come with either satin or matte and certain traditionals come in satin.
              I'll have a look, cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                LP Traditional Pro
                What year is that model?

Comment

Originally posted by waltschwarzkopf View Post
                  I also prefer the non-glossy necks, as I tend to sweat a lot a my hands stick to the back of the neck on occasions. I have. Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded from 2016, it has the rounded 50‘s neck with a matte finish, I love the way it feels and plays.

From 2016 I think the Studio faded and 50‘s & 60‘s Tribute have those finishes on the neck.
                  From 2017 I‘ve only tried the Tribute, it‘s also matte but is a thinner neck, called the 60‘s slim taper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Cheers man i'll check out the different models

Comment

The gothic's were all matte, lp, v, explorer, & sg.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundermtn View Post
                      The gothic's were all matte, lp, v, explorer, & sg.
                      Nice, they look pretty cool too

Comment

I don't mind a glossy neck, but I have had some success with treating a glossy neck to eliminate the sticky. I've done this with almost all of my Gibsons.

I go over the neck with a damp rag and wipe dry. I apply a coat of the Virtuoso guitar CLEANER, rubbing it in well and then letting it sit for about twenty minutes before buffing it off. Then repeat.

Finally, I apply a coat of the Virtuoso POLISH, again letting it dry thoroughly before buffing it off.

This seems to harden the lacquer and remove the stickiness. Moreover, the stickiness has not returned.

While it not the same as a bare wood neck, it's something to try.

Bill
                        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                          I don't mind a glossy neck, but I have had some success with treating a glossy neck to eliminate the sticky. I've done this with almost all of my Gibsons.

I go over the neck with a damp rag and wipe dry. I apply a coat of the Virtuoso guitar CLEANER, rubbing it in well and then letting it sit for about twenty minutes before buffing it off. Then repeat.

Finally, I apply a coat of the Virtuoso POLISH, again letting it dry thoroughly before buffing it off.

This seems to harden the lacquer and remove the stickiness. Moreover, the stickiness has not returned.

While it not the same as a bare wood neck, it's something to try.

Bill
                          That does sound like a pretty good technique, i'd happily do that sort of thing on cheaper guitars but I feel that on gibsons I should leave them be

Comment

Well, I'm not removing any significant finish, just polishing what's there. No cosmetic change, or damage to the guitar at all.

I know guys like to completely remove the finish from the neck, but IME, that really decreases the value of the guitar.

The polishing won't.

Bill
                            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                              Well, I'm not removing any significant finish, just polishing what's there. No cosmetic change, or damage to the guitar at all.

I know guys like to completely remove the finish from the neck, but IME, that really decreases the value of the guitar.

The polishing won't.

Bill
                              Ahh thats a good point, might consider that then

Comment

Working...
                              X