NGD: I put this together when you were not looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: I put this together when you were not looking

So you know how I didn't have a neck I wanted to use with the blue strat? I got to snooping around on the Musikraft site and they had a quartersawn, chunky neck slab board that was just crying out to me. I resisted and went about trying to nail down the EJ Strat.

Well as it is with me and parts, I came across a minty '14 EJ body on the cheap. Once I had the body, I knew just the neck I wanted and sure enough, it was still available. I had to do it you understand, right?

I mean I already had all the other parts, pfft...

No real building as much as assembling, but just some tweaking and a set of Fender CS '54 pickups later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3931.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	5846686

Name:	IMG_3932.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	5846687

You see the difference in the '05 EJ and the '14 EJ

Name:	IMG_3935.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	5846688

That is it for vintage Strats for a bit. I have some other things that need attention.
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Re: NGD: I put this together when you were not looking

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
    That is it for vintage Strats for a bit. I have some other things that need attention.
    If that is how you feel about it, I'll be glad to take them off your hands. I could use a good EJ Strat, but I'm still deciding If I want the Maple or Rosewood fretboard one.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The EJ Strats are just too good for the price. I will totally buy a CAR and/or a black one next.
      -Chris

Comment

Someone asked about the cost of putting together a great partscaster, and that brings up a good point.

I have built many Stratocaster based guitars and most were good, some great and a few duds (to my ears). I still think the Eric Johnson strat is the best you can buy for the money new or used, but if you want to roll your own.

Here is a breakdown of this one.

New EJ body $380
        New MK neck $200
        Used CS '54 pickups $100
        New PG $15
        New pots/switch $25
        New Gotoh 101TS $65
        New Gotoh Tuners $40

The neck and body were lucky scores, but anyone can catch the same luck. You can also buy used or OEM parts. The point being that you can build a premium guitar at or under $1000.

The LPB Strat was less money, but you saw the work that went into that guitar. I only had to tweak the fit and make a nut for this one (I finished the neck of course).

I love building them and would encourage everyone to do at least one.
        -Chris

Comment

I am so jonesing for a strat with a rosewood board. I put together (and I use that term loosely) a strat about 10 years ago. Swamp ash body, white transparent true nitro finish and all gold Callaham hardware.... tuners and everything. The nitro finish on the body and neck were sprayed by Kenny (kmcguitar), a great forum brother. He sadly passed away in 2011. The finish is/was flawless. I put APS's in the neck and mid and SSL1 at the bridge.

Even going nitro and Callaham, I'm still only in it right at a grand. It's still the nicest piece of ash I've ever seen and the prettiest translucent white strat. Let me see if I have a pic on my tablet so I can share.

***Edit... this is the best pic I can find for now.

Name:	Pickguard 015.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	5804913

Name:	Pickguard 016.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	5804915
          My Sound Clips

Comment

Kenny

MK strats are so classy looking. I had Mike (xssive) build me one a few years ago.
            -Chris

Comment

They are really classy. I have never been able to bond with a strat with singles, so I don't do it any justice, despite the fact that its a fantastic instrument.

I also really miss Kenny. He was such a nice guy and super talented with guitars. I know he always wanted to open his own shop, but his health got in the way. I hate that I can't remember what his health issues were.

I found a pic of the guitar raw, before Kenny started working on it. Look at the grain pattern on it. It's the same on the back. I wish more of the grain showed through the finish, but it sure is pretty in person.

Ayrton......I'm sorry to slightly hijack your thread. I love looking at all of the builds you do and I'm happy that you take the time to share them with us.

Name:	New Strat 007.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	5804917
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Hell no, this is not a highjack. That is what my threads are for, talking about building.

That is a fantastic block of Ash. Where did that come from?

Mine

Name:	IMG_3046.jpg
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	5804918
                -Chris

Comment

That translucent white looks awesome over the ash!
                  Last edited by Clint 55; 01-21-2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

The body came from Musikraft of all places..... and it was in their clearance listings. I think I paid $130 for it. I don't know if I still have any records with details but it was too cheap for how beautiful it was, at least IMO.

I love the way your Mary Kay looks too. There is something so pleasing about the translucent white finish. I like the 1 ply white pickguard on yours and mine is the same. I really want a mint green pickguard setup, but I can't find one that is one ply. Because I used a 22 fret neck, I can only use a 1 ply guard. I tried to use a standard 3 ply guard, but I couldn't tighten the neck all the way down.... the fretboard extension started to crack the pickguard and then it all bound up.

Oh the first world problems we have!
                    Last edited by Jeff_H; 01-19-2018, 10:44 PM.
                    My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      That opaque white looks awesome over the ash!
                      Thank you very much. It really does look nice..... but all of the Mary Kay strats I've seen were beautiful. That's why I like strats finished like this so much. Swamp ash almost always has a pleasing and very visible grain pattern.
                      My Sound Clips

Comment

I don't play enough guitar at the moment to justify getting another one, but sometimes I check out hardtail Strat bodies. I worry about buying necks I haven't held though.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                          That opaque white looks awesome over the ash!
                          "Opaque"?!

Let's try that again. How about "transparent"? Or even translucent.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It's not so hard to modify a pickguard to fit.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              It's not so hard to modify a pickguard to fit.
                              I've been wondering how to do it Doc. Do I just need a Dremel to cut away the excess material?
                              My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                              X