Charvel San dimas pro-mod series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel San dimas pro-mod series

Like a millennium ago I bought a Charvel pro mod San Dimas, like one of the first pro mod models. I am kind of on the fence about the new ones. Anyone have experience with them? I like the coil split possibilities, the 3 way blade switch looks cooler than the old toggle switches. I also like the no load tone pots. Unfortunately, there are none within like 400 miles of my town so I have no way to try one.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
    Orange Rockerverb MKIII 50w
    Orange ppc212 open back cabinet
    Jackson dx10d
    DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
    MXR Carbon Copy
    MXR Phase 90 (EVH Version)

Charvel San dimas pro-mod series

I’ve had the HH hard tail for a few months.

Incredible value. Sweet neck, obviously good pickups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Blille; 01-18-2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Re: Charvel San dimas pro-mod series

Im looking at a floyd rose model, I play in a glam metal band so the Floyd is a must. I also really like the neon colours.
      "My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost" -Anonymous

Main Gear:
      Jackson dx10d
      DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
      MXR Carbon Copy

Comment

I had one and ended up sending it back for a set neck guitar.

I had the black see through finish and it looked great. The neck felt awesome (a little wide though), all the controls worked flawlessly, action was sweet, pickups were fantastic. I didn't like the position of the selector switch though. The tremolo bar was in the way. It was a pretty heavy guitar too yet it felt really good.

Now you are probably asking, "why did you return it?" When I first got it I played around the house and every time I'd pick it up I'd hear a click somewhere. I could feel it but couldn't find it. I thought something might be loose in the control cavity. Nope. Then I noticed that I was having to fine tune it often. At first I thought it was temperature variation. Nope. I came down to the neck bolts being extremely loose. So I tightened them to what should have been the correct torque specs and it still did the same thing. As much as I liked the guitar I felt it would never be reliable for gigging so back it went.

I'll bet not all of these models do what mine did. I had an exception. Very nice guitar though, but I've found others in lower price points that play better and sound great as well. I think the retail price is a little high for what you get on these.
        Originally posted by Ball&Chain
        Orange beer just doesnt taste near as good as red. Im sure you will find that in the bible somewhere.

Comment

Big fan of the MIA and MIJ models, but the MIM have cut so many corners. I have seen some 2017 models that do not even have quarter sawn necks. The tabless tuners and supposedly (I have not confirmed) the Floyd went from all steel 1000 to the Special.

I did pick up two '17 bodies that I used with older necks that sound pretty good, so I guess it is not all bad.

I have seen retailers blowing out new ones for as low as $500, so be wary of paying $800-$1000 for one.
          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
            Big fan of the MIA and MIJ models, but the MIM have cut so many corners. I have seen some 2017 models that do not even have quarter sawn necks. The tabless tuners and supposedly (I have not confirmed) the Floyd went from all steel 1000 to the Special.

I did pick up two '17 bodies that I used with older necks that sound pretty good, so I guess it is not all bad.

I have seen retailers blowing out new ones for as low as $500, so be wary of paying $800-$1000 for one.
            That's why I'm looking at getting one, they are dropping in price. Is that drop good or bad tho...

Main Gear:
            Jackson dx10d
            DOD preamp 250 Overdrive
            MXR Carbon Copy

Comment

Are you getting a great $500 guitar, yes. The same guitar for $800-$1000, no (IMO).
              -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
              “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Working...
              X