One Pesky Note: B String 19th Fret Buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Pesky Note: B String 19th Fret Buzz

I got a new Epi LP Standard Pro and immediately noticed the B string at the 19th fret buzzed pretty bad. Took it to a reputable guitar repair shop here in a suburb of Nashville and they set the neck and put new strings and it went away.

Now that buzz is trying to come back. The repair man noted the buzz himself and polished the frets real good. Wonder why it was “fixed” and is returning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: One Pesky Note: B String 19th Fret Buzz

Cuz the fret is uneven and a perfect setup can hide it but it can still rear its ugly head.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      Cuz the fret is uneven and a perfect setup can hide it but it can still rear its ugly head.
      Well chit

How can he fix the uneven fret? Does he have re do all the frets?

Comment

He can do a whole fret level which isn't bad because it makes the neck play great everywhere. Or if it's a high fret he can just lower that 1 fret. Or if it's a low fret he can replace that 1 fret.

Comment

What do you mean by the phrase 'they set the neck'. Are you talking about a Trussrod adjustment??

Polishing frets make them smooth, but only filing/recrowning will remove a high fret issue. Possibly your visit was hoped to be a once only and all that was done was windowdressing in order to get you out of the place.

Comment

Or perhaps you have a loose fret. After he initially adjusted it and it played fine, then the fret came up a bit and is buzzing again. If a fret is adjusted (filed) to remove the buzz, it doesn't just magically come back again. Check to see if the frets are completely seated in the fingerboard.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              Or perhaps you have a loose fret. After he initially adjusted it and it played fine, then the fret came up a bit and is buzzing again. If a fret is adjusted (filed) to remove the buzz, it doesn't just magically come back again. Check to see if the frets are completely seated in the fingerboard.
              Thank you sir

Comment

If the 19th buzzes, I assume the possibilities are:

The 19th is too low, or the 20, 21, or 22nd are too high.

A straight edge laid down can show if 19 is too low. If the 21, 22 have no buzz, the 20th is likely too high.

A brute force solution is tap gently on the high fret with a hammer/mallet. Be very delicate. Don't hit the strings! Place a pencil eraser or something on the fret.

If - and this is possible - it's a rut in the 19th at the B string, you need a new fret, or a partial level from the 20-22. That should not cost as much as a full fret job.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I frequently do spot levels for fussy single buzz problems. Your guy should have done that. There is no need for a complete fret level.
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                  X