banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrades to my GM Les Paul Std....What Else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrades to my GM Les Paul Std....What Else?

Below is a list of the upgrades I've made or already have the parts for in my quest to upgrade the components of my new Lester:

Callaham ABR-1 and tailpiece upgrade set in nickel
    Locking Keystone style tuners (in progress)
    All new electronics with bourns pots/wiring/PIO caps from Tone Man
    Custom Shop Greenie pickups
    Historically correct pickup rings in cream
    Strap locks

What else do I need besides maybe a bone or nylon nut? I think the current nut is Graphtec or Tusk, but not sure.

Am I missing anything? I'm not going to have the top re-carved and refinished or have the thing relic'd. I just wanted the nicest, best hardware changes to bring all of the tone out of this guitar, while having some nicer modern features.

I'm also storing all of the stock parts so I can return it to original if ever necessary. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-01-2018, 01:18 AM.
    My Sound Clips

Re: Upgrades to my GM Les Paul Std....What Else?

Bone is the worst possible material to use for a nut. Tusq plastic is pretty good. If you want to swap it, I recommend corian. It has a nice, balanced, creamy tone. Warmoth has Gibson sized corian blanks.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 02-01-2018, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that tip Clint. I was out of the guitar scene for a few years, so I thought bone was still a good nut option. I'll take a look at corian if I decide to upgrade.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

Tusq is the best choice for a nut, but unless the nut needs replacing, don’t bother.

If you haven’t already, I would also wait on the bridge swap. The Callaham will add some brightness and that may or may not be a good thing. With so much being swapped at once, it makes it harder to determine what are actual improvements
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

You're welcome. I agree with Ayrton that a Tusq nut seated and cut well is good to go.

I get hyped up about bone because of how well it's regarded, but when I tried it I was taken aback at how terrible it sounded. Tusq and corian are the best and most well rounded I believe.

Comment

I don’t get too caught up in nut material. A properly cut nut is far more important than the material. I like bone for how it looks, and you can get quality blanks. However, the Tusq material is consistent, and self lubricating.

Eric Johnson actually prefers plastic.
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Tusq plastic sounds good. So does regular plastic. Bone sounds like shet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
                Tusq is the best choice for a nut, but unless the nut needs replacing, don’t bother.

If you haven’t already, I would also wait on the bridge swap. The Callaham will add some brightness and that may or may not be a good thing. With so much being swapped at once, it makes it harder to determine what are actual improvements
                I am actually going to go back and swap the parts one by one to make sure I like what they add. I have the Callaham bridge on now, but only because it's at my luthier having the slots cut. I haven't changed the tailpiece yet, and I am going to wait. I have already confirmed that I don't really care for the stock BB pups, but I sort of knew that. I'll play it a while with the new tuners and pickups (and pots/wiring) for a while to see what I like and don't like. Then I can swap tailpieces and then bridge if necessary.

The quality of TonePros isn't that bad and 10 years ago it was my go to upgrade for all TOM'S. But is still made of pot metal, so I'll have to see.

Thanks for the info on the nut. I'm having my tech reshape it for my preferred 9-46 string gauge and to make sure the slots are shaped and cut correctly. I didn't have plans to replace it unless it was really needed. The old nylon nuts have me intrigued, but they may just be the current flavor.

Thanks for all of the help so far.
                Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-01-2018, 01:20 AM.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Biggest upgrade I see it needs is some serious play wear
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                    Bone is the worst possible material to use for a nut. Tusq plastic is pretty good. If you want to swap it, I recommend corian. It has a nice, balanced, creamy tone. Warmoth has Gibson sized corian blanks.
                    There you go again, stating your opinion as "facts".

How about try saying..."I don't prefer bone nuts". Because, actually, bone is one of the preferred/better materials for nuts...for tone, function, and longevity. But it's harder to work than plastic, Tusq, etc. I've never tried Corian, but in all fairness, I've heard some good things about it.
                    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 02-01-2018, 02:12 PM.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      Bone sounds like shet.
                      Again, your flimsy opinion!

My opinion is that a good bone nut sounds terrific. But I agree with Ayrton that the most important thing is the proper cutting/slotting of the nut. Besides, the tone of the nut only comes into play when you're playing open. Once your finger is pushing down on the string, the fret material is contributing to the tone and the nut is essentially taken out of the equation.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        Besides, the tone of the nut only comes into play when you're playing open. Once your finger is pushing down on the string, the fret material is contributing to the tone and the nut is essentially taken out of the equation.
                        Oh jeez, now you’ve done it...
                        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

How did the Callaham stuff change things?

Comment

“GM” ?

Oh Gary Moore?
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                              Biggest upgrade I see it needs is some serious play wear
                              Yup, I agree. I always have to feed my OCD to a certain extent. I'm never happy with a guitar until I upgrade a few things. It doesn't make any real sense, even to me sometimes, but its a compulsion. My wife just smiles and nods.....
                              My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                              X