• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Question for DPDT 3-Way On/Off.On switch

Neck: SCR1N
    Middle: SL59-1N
    Bridge: SHPR1B

The P-Rails will be mated to a Triple Shot allowing me to run in Series, Parallel, a P-90, and a Hot Rail.

I will be using a 5-Way CRL switch to control my pickups like a strat.
    1. Bridge (with Triple Shot)
    2. Bridge/Middle
    3. Middle
    4. Middle/Neck
    5. Neck

In position two and four I would like the ability to coil cut. If I run a DPDT 3-Way ON/Off/On switch, I can create an Inner Coils/Humbuckers/Outer Coils option.

1. Bridge (with Triple Shot)
    2. Bridge/Middle, Bridge P-90/Middle Single Coil (Inner Coil), Bridge Hot Rail/Middle Single Coil (Outer Coil)
    3. Middle
    4. Middle/Neck, Inner Coils, Outer Coils
    5. Neck

My question is with this diagram work for what I need? Obviously Neck and Bridge would change to Neck and Middle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Inner_Coils_Humbuckers_Outer_Coils__45732.1471990730.1280.1280.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	5846895
    Last edited by Shane Foster; 02-04-2018, 06:05 PM.

Re: Wiring Question for DPDT 3-Way On/Off.On switch

Yup. You got it.

Comment

Re: Wiring Question for DPDT 3-Way On/Off.On switch

That'll do the trick.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sorry for the bump, but this was a prominent google result. When I did this with my SD Jupiter rails 6 set it didn't wire it for inner/hum/outer, it wired it for North/hum/south, so no hum cancelling on either of what was supposed to be inner or outer setups.

Comment

Originally posted by IronSean View Post
          Sorry for the bump, but this was a prominent google result. When I did this with my SD Jupiter rails 6 set it didn't wire it for inner/hum/outer, it wired it for North/hum/south, so no hum cancelling on either of what was supposed to be inner or outer setups.
          Most pickups, Duncan included, have the same magnetic polarity and wind direction no matter if it is a neck or bridge. In the Duncan lineup, the P-Rails are an exception as they are specifically designed for combing rails or P90 sides.

The solution is to “flip the magnet” of one of the pickups, then swap Black and Green of the same pickup. This will change the magnetic polarity and effectively change the wind direction. Now it will still be in phase in humbucker, in phase when combined with another pickup, and when you split to the Screw Coil or Stud Coil, it’ll cancel hum with the non-modded pickup.

ArtieToo and Mincer have both written up articles/posts on how to do this to get these combos to cancel hum when combined.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Most pickups, Duncan included, have the same magnetic polarity and wind direction no matter if it is a neck or bridge. In the Duncan lineup, the P-Rails are an exception as they are specifically designed for combing rails or P90 sides.

The solution is to “flip the magnet” of one of the pickups, then swap Black and Green of the same pickup. This will change the magnetic polarity and effectively change the wind direction. Now it will still be in phase in humbucker, in phase when combined with another pickup, and when you split to the Screw Coil or Stud Coil, it’ll cancel hum with the non-modded pickup.

ArtieToo and Mincer have both written up articles/posts on how to do this to get these combos to cancel hum when combined.
            So the wiring diagram in the post only applies to their p-rails pickups? I was confused because the imagine in the diagram is very clearly a seymour Duncan labelled slug and stud pickup combo with the North coils both labelled black and the south coils labelled green. So I assumed that was the standard wiring.

So just reversing the wiring on one half of the dpdt won't get me what I want? Or it'll get half for an inner/hum/outer wiring but not hum cancelling? As in, move the black wires on the right side of the switch to the bottom right, and the green and sheld to the top right, and connect the bottom left to the top right pins.

Instead I'd have to reverse a magnet and reverse wire one of them?

That's a drag. I've got one of the first sets of SD Jupiter rails 6, and I'm not sure how easy they even are to disassemble compared to regular pickups, so I probably won't go that far. Maybe some series/parallel switches would serve me better.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Comment

Everything about that diagram is correct, except it implies that that the North/South coil changes per pickup position when actually for Duncan’s it is the same per pickup. You get Inner/HB/Outer, but with stock Duncan’s that doesn’t cancel hum. If you want to cancel hum in those positions you need to do the magnet flip/wire swap. And yes, because of how P-Rails are designed, it would cancel hum.

Two notes, 1. I’m 95% sure that’s a user generated diagram, not from SD. 2. Nearly all companies HBs are the same. I think PRS is an exception.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Actually looking at the diagram again, I think my pickups do match it. And both my pickups and the diagram lead to a north/hun/south wiring, not an inner/hum/outer wiring. With the switch on bottom only the north rails are engaged on either. To get inner/outer I think you'd need to either swap the green and black wires on one pick (but would this cause phase issues with your middle pickup selector mode?) or swap the top right and bottom right wiring completely.

Comment

Working...
                X