Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Floyd to choose?

hello everyone,

I'm planning on building a guitar with floyd rose, but i don't know what floyd to choose.

I have seen fu-tone floyds. How good are those? I can also buy a floyd rose 1984 limited edition. they have a big brass block and some other upgrades. I have also seen schaller floyds, are those good?

it's going to be a flat mount. and I haven't drilled any holes.

my max budget is $250

Re: What Floyd to choose?

Schaller made the original floyds in Germany and still make the original and 1984 trems. So yes, Schaller makes great stuff. The Pro series are a low profile version, also made in Germany. I would probably stay away from the Special series, they use zinc saddles and block. The FU Tone trems are upgraded original Floyds so they are going to be more expensive, probably won't fit in you budget.

Comment

Gotoh also makes a great Floyd, and it should be within your budget. John Suhr prefers Gotoh over OFR, and that's what he offers on his guitars. The Gotoh, Schaller, Original, and 1984 are all well made with quality materials. It comes down to which features you want for your build.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Have you looked at the new Kahlers? They seem pretty killer too

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          Schaller made the original floyds in Germany and still make the original and 1984 trems. So yes, Schaller makes great stuff. The Pro series are a low profile version, also made in Germany. I would probably stay away from the Special series, they use zinc saddles and block. The FU Tone trems are upgraded original Floyds so they are going to be more expensive, probably won't fit in you budget.
          I also thought those Fu-tone bridges would be really expensive, but they sell for just $230. then I realised i lived in europe and needed to add $60 shipping to that.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
            Gotoh also makes a great Floyd, and it should be within your budget. John Suhr prefers Gotoh over OFR, and that's what he offers on his guitars. The Gotoh, Schaller, Original, and 1984 are all well made with quality materials. It comes down to which features you want for your build.
            Do you know why suhr prefers gotohs over other floyd rose bridges?

I just looked on a website from a local guitarshop and those schaller and gotoh bridges go for around $160. That's cheaper then the OFR's, but I've heard schaller and gotoh bridges are better. can anyone explain?
            Last edited by I NEED HELP123; 02-11-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundermtn View Post
              Have you looked at the new Kahlers? They seem pretty killer too
              yeah, I know but it's pretty expensive too.

Comment

Schaller made the original Floyds. Currently, they have two models you can buy - the Schaller standard and the Schaller Lockmeister, where the second is the same model as a "real" OFr, but at a significantly lower price. I would go with this one. Upside of Schaller is that you while most retailers will only sell you whole units or select spare parts, Schaller will sell any part you require directly to you at very competitive prices. I've dealt with them twice and it was all very easy and quick business.

Never tried the Gotoh, can't comment on that.

The Floyd Rose Pro I would avoid as well, its not bad but it's a VERY pricey unit.

The oversized brass blocks will mellow out your tone somewhat (cut off high end), so you might want to avoid those if you're playing something with heavy downtuning.
                --------------------------------------------------------
                1973 Aria 551
                1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                  Schaller made the original Floyds. Currently, they have two models you can buy - the Schaller standard and the Schaller Lockmeister, where the second is the same model as a "real" OFr, but at a significantly lower price. I would go with this one. Upside of Schaller is that you while most retailers will only sell you whole units or select spare parts, Schaller will sell any part you require directly to you at very competitive prices. I've dealt with them twice and it was all very easy and quick business.

Never tried the Gotoh, can't comment on that.

The Floyd Rose Pro I would avoid as well, its not bad but it's a VERY pricey unit.

The oversized brass blocks will mellow out your tone somewhat (cut off high end), so you might want to avoid those if you're playing something with heavy downtuning.
                  That is very helpfull, thx!!

do you know why schaller is so much cheaper???

Comment

Originally posted by I NEED HELP123 View Post
                    That is very helpfull, thx!!

do you know why schaller is so much cheaper???
                    Not sure, tbh. I mean, the reason they sell their whole unit cheaper than Floyd Rose does is probably because Floyd had a patent on that design for a long time and were pretty restrictive in their licensing, from what I've heard. I assume being the only actor on the market, as well as producing something that could withstand all the abuse that's thrown at it meant they could hike up prices. Once the patent exploitation right expired, other companies built their own and cut prices in order to stay competitive? I'm only guessing on that last part, but it makes sense to me.

Floyd Roses's response was to build cheaper versions abroad and then keep their originals at a price premium.

I wore out my Schaller original Floyd just a few weeks ago, and had to order a new base plate. The upside is that all the other parts apparently fit the Lockmeister plate, so I could buy just that one piece.
                    1973 Aria 551
                    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

I think i'm going to choose either the schaller lockmeister or the floyd rose 1984. what do you guys think? the pricediffrence is about 15 euro.

Comment

Originally posted by I NEED HELP123 View Post
                        I think i'm going to choose either the schaller lockmeister or the floyd rose 1984. what do you guys think? the pricediffrence is about 15 euro.
                        Where are you buying from?
                        1973 Aria 551
                        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Not sure, tbh. I mean, the reason they sell their whole unit cheaper than Floyd Rose does is probably because Floyd had a patent on that design for a long time and were pretty restrictive in their licensing, from what I've heard. I assume being the only actor on the market, as well as producing something that could withstand all the abuse that's thrown at it meant they could hike up prices. Once the patent exploitation right expired, other companies built their own and cut prices in order to stay competitive? I'm only guessing on that last part, but it makes sense to me.

Floyd Roses's response was to build cheaper versions abroad and then keep their originals at a price premium.

I wore out my Schaller original Floyd just a few weeks ago, and had to order a new base plate. The upside is that all the other parts apparently fit the Lockmeister plate, so I could buy just that one piece.
                          I didn't see your post. Thx a lot!! This info is really helpfull

Comment

Where are you buying from?
                            I'm buying from the Netherlands.
                            The lock meister I can buy from thomann. The Floyd 1984 on eBay. I think I'm going to go with the lock meister just because I can buy from thomann. Because they have superb service and if there is something wrong with a bridge from ebay it's probably going to be hard to get my money or a replacement back.

Comment

I have used both extensively, and no reason to over think this.

The Floyd Rose original or the Gotoh. One is really not better than the original, so get whatever is cheaper in your market.

The "1984" model is not what you want because you get the old bar and wood screw post. That is fine for those that are taking a trip down memory lane, but for a new build you want the better options.

Original

The first, the only, the Original double-locking tremolo system used by more professionals than any other! The Floyd Rose Original is precision-made in Germany, engineered to exacting specifications using high-quality hardened steel and a nickel-plated brass sustain block. The tremolo kit contains the bridge, springs &

Gotoh

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                              “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Working...
                              X