Need help confirming this MIJ Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help confirming this MIJ Strat

Hey guys, might be able to score a decent deal on this “E series” MIJ Strat. I don’t know much about MIJ so I was a bit skeptical when I saw a few things like the pick guard being a bit off on the horn and the neck plate. Everything else seems in order according to my research, but could not find much info. The guy has never popped the neck to confirm the year or model. It has been obviously modded but he claims only the bridge pickup was changed to an old 80s Duncan Rail (I believe all 3 pickups were). He’s the second owner and says the original owner from a local store did the mods and estimated the year to ‘85.

To me it all seems right, apart from the quirks i mentioned but seems from my googling would sill fit MIJ of the era. Is there any experts around that could help confirm I’m not getting screwed over? Always wanted an old 50s style aged white with maple neck like this. I heard great things about the early MIJ. I haven’t tried it yet, he lives rather far from me so I am waiting to be sure before I make the trip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A2A78121-8745-418B-98F2-EA11AD748B69.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	5846979Click image for larger version

Name:	4A962152-4344-4038-8265-0E4170624845.jpeg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	5846980Click image for larger version

Name:	2DCFC962-66B1-4442-8F5E-0D98A25027E9.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	5846981Click image for larger version

Name:	F6EF7F88-69EF-4DA6-A30B-314BB8EDA5F7.jpeg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	5846982Click image for larger version

Name:	8687238F-1849-4123-B53E-B8AD2EBAEE62.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	5846983Click image for larger version

Name:	8BDB26EC-1E03-4209-9C5A-8A7919F0A1B2.jpg
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	5846984
    Last edited by C-Martin; 02-13-2018, 01:48 PM.
    C-Martin Recordings
    My Soundclick page

Re: Need help confirming this MIJ Strat

Also the nut seems to have been improperly filed and then fixed on the small E.
    C-Martin Recordings
    My Soundclick page

Comment

Are you asking if it is a legit strat?

The "E" numbers were only used from '84 until '87.
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
        Are you asking if it is a legit strat?

The "E" numbers were only used from '84 until '87.

I guess my post is a bit unclear hah. Yes, I’ve heard there’s a lot of fakes so I want to make sure.
        C-Martin Recordings
        My Soundclick page

Comment

Nobody fakes older MIJ strats. Everything looks legit from what I can see in the pictures.

E series are desirable but don’t pay crazy money.
          -Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
            Nobody fakes older MIJ strats. Everything looks legit from what I can see in the pictures.

E series are desirable but don’t pay crazy money.

How much would be too much?
            C-Martin Recordings
            My Soundclick page

Comment

No obvious signs of it being anything other than a modded MIJ Strat. Here's my thing; I really don't think MIJ Fenders are that great. I've had examples with sub-par fretwire and other quality control variances on the neck concerning wood quality, finish, dot application etc. Most of them have thin chrome, cheap electronics/pickups/hardware (do those tuners have a ton of slop?) and they don't age well IMO. Certain things on Japanese guitars (not the Strats as much but other models) are more likely to be off-spec from a traditional Fender. The thick, plasticky finishes don't A/B well so to speak. Things like body contours are usually different. They're screwed together fine and usually have a more sculpted neck heel vs. other Fenders, but that's about it for the pluses IMO.

You can pick up a used American Standard Strat for $600 , or a G&L Legacy US for about the same; I bought a US Strat Deluxe for $500 used, and a US G&L Strat for $400 in the last couple years. Yeah, terrible resale value if you buy new, but those are twice the guitars any Japanese Fender beyond the initial early eighties batch are, in every respect. I would never pay over $300 for a Japanese Fender Strat as a result, but I know others feel different. They sure go for more.

I really would rather have an MIM Strat or a nicer Squier model and save a lot of cash vs. MIJ.
              Last edited by Silence Kid; 02-14-2018, 08:06 AM.
              Originally posted by King Buzzo
              I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Hmmm 500-600$ is what most used MIM seem to go for here. Prices seem to differ quite drastically it seems depending is where you are. For example, a brand new MIM Classic series is 1200. Never seen a US go for less than 900-1k used. Thanks for the input though, might reconsider wether or not to go for it.

From the research I did, if this is indeed a ‘85, this would be one of those early MIJ from the Fujjigen factory that are supposed to be the really good ones. They start getting cheaper components later on.
                C-Martin Recordings
                My Soundclick page

Comment

MIM Standards are on US eBay/CL in the $200-$300 range used. There are for sure more expensive models and a premium for buying new. I see MIJ guitars (thinking non-modded) go for $700 to $1k, where $500 was once common. Depends a lot on the color too.
                  I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I can’t say what that guitar brings in Canada, but based on just the pics it would be in the $4-$500 range here. Overall condition and a case make a difference. You can’t play it before buying it, so take the leap if you can buy it right. Should you decide it’s not for you, then sell it
                    -Chris

Comment

^Good point with the mods being applied I'd negotiate less for that. Now that I played devil's advocate I'll at least say if you can grab it for under $500 you can get your money back and possibly more, but I still think there are just better guitars to focus on getting unless that one is a steal.

Comment

I like MIJ Strats from that time.

I usually replace the pickups tho.

And the frets will be little vintage style frets most likely. Makes string bending a bit difficult...especially if they’re worn down or need a fret level.

My favorite $400 - 500 used Strats are the MIM Fender Jimmie Vaughan. Those have a nice neck shape and have larger frets.

But they also benefit from a pickup upgrade. SSL1’s sound nice. Maybe a SSL5 bridge pickup.
                        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I wonder how is MIJ Fenders are inferior. As far as I know in general they are:
                          1. Made by Fujigen, which should mean quality assurance in most cases.
                          2. Come with Gotoh hardware.
                          3. Reissues of vintage Fenders, hence models such as ST-62, TL-54, etc. So, vintage correct, like single-ply pickguard such as this one.

Comment

Fender Japan Offset "reissues" in particular are quite inaccurate. Bridges with poor qc, string spacing etc. Yeah strats are better, but the argument that "it's made by _____ so it must be good!" Doesn't really impress me. Whatever gotoh hardware is on those guitars seems to corrode and wear much faster than expected. Just my experience.

(Also: I think some are/were made by Tokai and Dyna Gakki.)

Comment

i had a mij strat for years and while things might not have been fender correct as far as specs, it was a great guitar. i swapped pups but that was it and happily played it for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X