Hey check it out- I'm a shredder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey check it out- I'm a shredder!

So yesterday I stopped in my local GC, hoping to check out a few different guitars with an eye toward a new purchase. Undecided on any particular brand, I picked up several different models ranging in price from $350 up to $900. I was really looking for something around the $1000 range, but since those models weren't in stock, I grabbed a few that might have representative neck dimensions, to help make my decision.
    Shortly afterward, I was talking to a GC employee about some brand particulars, when I looked down at my fingers,,, "What the hell?" :O The GC guy was totally unfazed, and said something like, "Hm, looks like that one has a couple of unfinished frets." Yea, understatement of the year!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180212_155620.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	5846996

So there were more than a few guitars in that condition there. Even a nice, $900 Ibanez had the same situation, that plus its ebony fretboard was starting to crack. I honestly don't know how the hell they sell ANY guitars in that store Hey, at least the local luthiers might make some extra business dressing frets!
    It doesn't seem that long ago that a $600 guitar had some decent quality, ya know? I've had quite a few different Schecters, LTDs, Ibanez and Jacksons, all in that price range and none of them were in that condition. So is this "the new norm", or is that store just an outlier?
    Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Natural Gloss), Custom/59-A4
    Schecter Banshee Elite-6 (Cat's Eye Pearl), Black Winter/Sentient-A2
    Schecter Blackjack SLS, Full Shred/Jazz
    Marshall DSL-40CR

Re: Hey check it out- I'm a shredder!

That's an odd way to get fret-burn. I've had it from playing cheap guitars, but it's limited to the side of the first knuckle of my index finger typically.

I've only really experienced very bad frets on extremely cheap, sub- $200 guitars, that said.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

That's the saddest story I've ever heard. Especially because you can order a $100 guitar online and reasonably expect to have it come with a decent setup. Except for a bad case of fret sprout, there is no reason for guitars in the price range you described to cause that much damage to your fingers.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

A while back I noticed that at the local GC
        On Ibanez as well
        On one $400 model the neck binding stuck straight off the side if the neck
        Like a razor

Even a gorgeous 25th anniversary red one with a maple neck
        The dude playing it was bleeding all over it

The sales dude was like oh well and didn't even wipe.it off before hanging it back up

Tornado got the store since then
        It hasn't come back
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The worst offender of the bunch was a Schecter Banshee Extreme, which I think was priced around $600 bucks. But like i said, there were others!
          Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

Recent Epi's seem to have pretty decent fret work. That looks like you were trying to play an in-sink-erator.

Comment

I play sub $ 600 axes almost exclusively () & my fingers are as smooth as a baby's backside..

Yeah, I will say that cheapo's peaked a few (4-5) years ago. The'ere were some killer deals to be bought cheap back then....the Raven West stuff, Ibby's with ZR's etc..now it's back to ****ty bridges & bad QC..especially with Ibanez. They're going all out to push their "premium" line & those djenty "ironside" or w/e they're called models instead..
              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Yea, "Premium", and "Iron Label", (sounds more fitting for a motorcycle built in Milwaukee!). Getting tired of "black = metal". What's sad is that the guy working there didn't even give a rat's ass. 😒
                Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

Maybe it's just not much of a CA problem. My dad moved to the desert and brought a cheap Squier and a cheap Mitchell though; both the necks did backflips and sprouted frets within weeks.
                  Originally posted by King Buzzo
                  I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Looks more like YOU got shredded! Hate sloppy fret work on guitars!
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Are there any companies that round their fret ends? I don't know of any. Without rounded fret ends and a tang nibbed off, any guitar can have frets protrude in the cold and hack you up.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                        Looks more like YOU got shredded! Hate sloppy fret work on guitars!
                        LOL, yea,,, my actual skills do not encompass any type of shredding, this is about as close as i'll ever get! ;D
                        Marshall DSL-40CR

Comment

A LOT of the lower end Ibanez guitars badly need fret end dressing. I don't mean just the GIO line, but the 400 dollar RG450's etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X