NGD: So I bit the bullet - MIJ Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: So I bit the bullet - MIJ Strat

I ended up making to trip to try this MIJ E series ST57 Strat. Talked to the guy for a while while trying it, he was a pretty cool guy and told me his history with the guitar. He’s been holding on to it since the 80s, he even remembers it being very white when buying it. You can see the original white on some of the blemishes like the belt buckle rash. Was going to be passed to his kids but they didn’t seem too interested in playing, so he put it up for sale. He gave me a good deal and was glad it was going to someone who was going to play it.

I’ve yet to clean it up, do a setup (hasn’t ever been setup), and I’m also going to open it up and see what’s in it, and check the neck pocket for the exact year.

Here’s a few quick phone pics:
    Attached Files
    C-Martin Recordings
    My Soundclick page

Re: NGD: So I bit the bullet - MIJ Strat

Nice. Did you have another thread leading up to getting it?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      Nice. Did you have another thread leading up to getting it?

I did, I asked for some help a while ago because I had no experience with MIJ Fenders. I had heard great things about them but never could find one to try myself.
      C-Martin Recordings
      My Soundclick page

Comment

That thing is freakin' gorgeous! Get some good pics when you take it apart!
        ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
        2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
        Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Originally posted by Kac View Post
          That thing is freakin' gorgeous! Get some good pics when you take it apart!

Will do! And yeah, when I first saw the add pop up I couldn’t resist checking it out. After much research, I negotiated the price and I went for it. I wasn’t even looking to buy another guitar. Damn that sneaky GAS.

One thing I like that I don’t see much except maybe some old vintage Strats is the smoother edges at the back of the neck. It’s a minor detail, it’s not like my other Strats bother me with the sharper edges, but it’s a nice touch.
          Attached Files
          C-Martin Recordings
          My Soundclick page

Comment

He shoots... He SCORES!

Count me as a fan of those MIJ Fenders from that era. They do usually benefit from a pickup upgrade tho.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Seems it's a 1987 instead of the 85 the guy thought it was. Here's some pics:
              Attached Files
              C-Martin Recordings
              My Soundclick page

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                He shoots... He SCORES!

Count me as a fan of those MIJ Fenders from that era. They do usually benefit from a pickup upgrade tho.
                Yeah the hot rail is interesting, but the other 2 pickups aren't doing it for me. Since it's a 57 RI, I'll most likely get vintage output single coils instead, I already have other hot rodded Strats. Not sure what I'd put in it yet though.
                C-Martin Recordings
                My Soundclick page

Comment

Very nice. It's a 1957 model (or reissue) from 1987.....that is a score. I love the color and everything. Congrats on a nice grab.

Hell, in 1987 I was in my 2nd year of College worried about staying on the golf team, getting my annual ski pass to Crested Butte and chasing girls. I had a friend (Anne Marie) who was a Resident Advisor. In the fall of 87' as a Junior I was eligible to be an RA. My first assignment was as the night RA in the freshmen and sophomore girls only dorm. I worked the office from usually 7pm until 2am. THAT was a fun year!!

No, this really has nothing to do with the thread.... it just made me remember.
                  Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-25-2018, 05:26 PM.
                  My Sound Clips

Comment

Classic, Classy & Cool. Congratulations.
                    MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                    1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                    1988 Kramer Nightswan
                    1989 Charvel Sambora
                    2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                    Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                    Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X