No announcement yet.

N.G.D. A Different Kind Of Gibson.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.G.D. A Different Kind Of Gibson.....

I was looking around for a new/used semi-hollow or possibly a full tilt Jazz Box to replace the 2015 Gibson Midtown Standard that I'd sold a couple months ago last night. I was just about to buy a 02 ES-175 when I came across this little lady....

The original asking price was a couple hundred bucks out of my price range but I figured that the worst thing that could happen if I were to make an offer on it is he'd decline so I took a swing at it. So without further ado Re-introducing the Gibson ES-139...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	5847123

It's a bit of an odd duck.... Its production run was fairly short lived (I'm guessing it's got something to do with redundancy & the lack of F-holes?) however it sounds/plays beautifully! I've heard a lot of people describe them as semi-hollow L.P.'s but personally I think it's closer to a Marauder's or L6-S's body shape as the body is a bit larger than a L.P.'s...

The guitar is loaded with a set of Burstbuckers (57 Classic's) with just a simple single volume, tone, & switch for a control panel. The neck is quartersawn Maple & it's got a beautiful bound body/neck with perfectly wrapped frets like a Gibson should have. The fact that the 2015 Midtown Standard's binding did not wrap the fret ends always bugged me a little, & I never understood why they didn't do the binding on them the way it's done on almost every other bound Gibson? It was a nice guitar (especially when loaded with a Pearly Gates set) however the binding issue did play a role in my decision to part ways with it. It might be a silly peeve to have but considering what they cost....

Anyway, unfortunately it didn't come with a hard case when Gibson released it so it came in what I think might be the heaviest gig bag I've ever seen! I believe the reason they chose to use the bag instead of a molded case like you'd expect when buying a ES has something to do with the body shape & limited production numbers? That said I am hoping to fit it into something decent even if I've got to modify a acoustic case or something to accomplish it... (Oh, I'd really appreciate any ideas for the case BTW, until then it will have to live in a empty gun cabinet.)

LOL, I just don't have a whole lot of faith in the guitar's life expectancy with my guitar enamored 11 month old running around all over the place. That little bastard is already walking & quite capable of unlatching un-locked guitar cases if you're not watching!!! At this rate I'm pretty sure he'll be building a meth lab in the basement before his second birthday & then, WORLD DOMINATION!!!!

It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I've always loved these kinda oddball Gibson's (excluding the Corvius of course) & it has the tone I was after at a price that I could afford... Best of all it's not just another L.P. or S.G. & it only weighs 6.5 lbs so my back loves it too!!!
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: N.G.D. A Different Kind Of Gibson.....

Never seen one before... Neat to know one exists.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yeah man, I'm pretty excited about this one although I do plan on doing some modding to it in a couple weeks just to pepper it to taste...

The first thing I'm doing is switching the positions of the 3 way toggle & tone knob! I switch pickups a lot when I'm playing so having the switch all the way in the back isn't exactly ideal. I may even put it where the volume is for access but in the interest of symmetry I think it would look best in the middle???

I'll also be changing out the stock pickups although I don't quite know what I want to use yet. Perhaps I'll just use the covered Pearly Gates I've already got or maybe even a Slash set? I know that it might sound like an odd choice at first glance but I put a set into a Ibanez Jazz Box & it sounded absolutely phenomenal!!! Luckily there is what amounts to a Tele control plate made of plastic in the back covering the pots which will make it much easier to work on! None of that working through F-Holes garbage....

Speaking of tone knobs another thing I been tinkering around my head was doing away with the tone altogether? For me having independent volume controls for both pickups has always been a huge draw toward Gibson's & that style of guitar. LOL, I've even got a Strat setup with two volumes & one tone to mimic that feature! Personally I don't use my tone knobs all that much anyway but I definitely do ride my volume knobs. That said it almost seems like sacrilege to remove the tone pot from a Semi-Hollow body guitar...

Regardless of which way I go I plan on keeping the stock pickups & harness so I'll be able to get it back to stock if needed & there'll likely minimill evidence it ever happened.....
      I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
        The guitar is loaded with a set of Burstbuckers (57 Classic's)
        Actually, those are Burstbucker Pro set, aka the BB #1 and #2 set with Alnico 5 magnets.

Some find'em both harsh and muddy sounding; specially the neck p'up, however a simple magnet change to a (for example) polished A3 for the neck and an Roughcast A2 for the bridge will work miracles, if accompanied by changing the 300K vol pot with a CTS 500K linear pot (or a CTS 500K TVT) and converting the modern wiring to the '50s one. This will help enormously in controling the amp by using the guitar knobs and not losing any highs when lowering the volume.

/Peter
        Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
        Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Cool guitars and congratulations!
          MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
          1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
          1988 Kramer Nightswan
          1989 Charvel Sambora
          2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
          Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
          Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Wow, very nice! So is it semi hollow, chambered, solid? It looks like something I'd really like- I had never heard about that one.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Very Cool ND, congratulations!!!
              My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
                it's got a beautiful bound body/neck with perfectly wrapped frets like a Gibson should have. The fact that the 2015 Midtown Standard's binding did not wrap the fret ends always bugged me a little, & I never understood why they didn't do the binding on them the way it's done on almost every other bound Gibson? It was a nice guitar (especially when loaded with a Pearly Gates set) however the binding issue did play a role in my decision to part ways with it.
                It's interesting that the most logical, desirable, and functional change that Gibson has ever made (frets that actually cover the entire width of the fretboard without stupid plastic nibs on their ends) is the one thing that you dislike enough to get rid of an otherwise nice guitar!
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Wow, very nice! So is it semi hollow, chambered, solid? It looks like something I'd really like- I had never heard about that one.
                  It's a semi-hollow.... They were built just like a ES-335's with center blocks. Just no F-holes so they kinda look like a solid body & the body size is something in between a ES-335 & a ES-Les Paul....

Comment

So, does it have that 'thump' that you might usually hear with a good 335?
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      So, does it have that 'thump' that you might usually hear with a good 335?
                      Yeah, perhaps a bit more mid focused???

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        It's interesting that the most logical, desirable, and functional change that Gibson has ever made (frets that actually cover the entire width of the fretboard without stupid plastic nibs on their ends) is the one thing that you dislike enough to get rid of an otherwise nice guitar!
                        LOL, I agree but it wasn't the only factor.... The Midtown's are a closer to a hollow body L.P. in their design whereas the ES-139 is more along the lines of a 335 & has a center block which is really what I was originally after when I bought the Midtown...

The Midtown also felt & certainly sounded more like a chambered L.P. than any traditional Gibson semi-hollow design. LOL, so basically the ES-139 sounds almost exactly like a 335/339 but looks like a solid body L.P. & the Midtown looked almost exactly like a 335/339 but sounded like a L.P....

Comment

Looks nice. I’d play it.
                          ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                          2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                          Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Working...
                          X