Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean HardTails Revisited

Hey,
    LOL! SOMEBODY here sold me one for my birthday (he didn't know that), now every reference I can find lands RIGHT HERE!!
    Too funny.

Does anybody have any links about HardTails (Korean) that don't go back to jefff hehehe?? I was just wanting to look up S/N, you know, general stuff, but he's real busy and concentrating on USA as I'm sure you all know. Just wondering if somebody had some arcania/links rattlin around their head.

The preexisting thread (ca. '05-'07 somethin) was a thorough review he did. And only him. LMAO.

The only way you'll get this guitar is when you pry it from my cold, dead arms.

We thank you for your support.

Dove has wings of buzzard
    And buzzard, of dove

I was there when it happened, so I guess I oughta know.

Re: Dean HardTails Revisited

Korean serial numbers are pretty much useless to date them until recently. IIRC, Jeff was the original owner so it is probably an '05 or so. Good guitars BTW. Check out the Dean Owers FB page if you have not and also http://www.deanowners.org/
    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
    Guitar to sound output:
    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
      Korean serial numbers are pretty much useless to date them until recently. IIRC, Jeff was the original owner so it is probably an '05 or so. Good guitars BTW. Check out the Dean Owers FB page if you have not and also http://www.deanowners.org/
      Thanks so much. Seems he is so understated he said LOL "I guess they still got the ceramic mags in there", etc. If you know the man. . .I just met him and he is very sweet and kind. He doesn't have time for something he's not interested, that's why bye bye Korean> am I right? He's got a master plan and it doesn't involve a silly little guitar that I will forever cherish. The silly guy didn't even tell me HE was the original owner. Thanks! That alone makes your time, well, caring, I guess. Yes, I read you can't date them by S/N coz Dean would switch up hardware and whatever in the same year.
      Thanks for the info and hookups. I knew somebody would know something. Boy, you talk about an understated guy!! When he sold it to me, he described the wear, but basically said I don't know anything else! That's why I'm barkin up a tree in his own backyard. Thanks, BTMN, for putting the icing on my birthday cake. Wow, superspecial.

And buzzard, of dove

Comment

Dean HardTails

This might not be the right protocol, but it's the best I can do right now. Now that I have calmed down, here are some things I do know, which were what I was looking for:

Guitar & set neck mahogany
        22 wide frets
        3 x 3 wicked headstock
        Guitar is all black; no pickguard
        2 tuners, 2 volume knobs, 3 way switch, all in a cluster under bridge and stop tail; makes it look super clean
        Nickel hardware
        Grover tuners
        Mother of pearl logo, dots, design (not logo) on 12th fret

More info when I find it and probably a stock photo. I don't think they made many of these guys.
        Thanks again Jeff & BTMN

And buzzard, of dove

Comment

They made a lot of Hardtails. I still own two Korean made models.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
            They made a lot of Hardtails. I still own two Korean made models.
            Well, hi. Feel like sharing (facts)? Like why don't they exist on google? That's just a minor question, but it drove me nuts always ending up back here!
            What years were they made? I saw something about Standards and Selects? Don't know what pups are till seen nekkid, right?

And buzzard, of dove

Comment

Not much I can share, it would all be from memory. I think the Hardtail was first out as a USA made model designed by Dean Zelinsky (Guy who started Dean guitars and later sold his company) when he came back to the company around 2000. Then they started making the imports. Maybe early-mid 2000's? Made for several years but I dont remember when they stopped. I think the standards were just solid colors. The selects had the flame tops and scrape binding. Pickups in my Hardtail Selects were cheap import Alnico pickups. I don't recall if they went to better pickups in later models. That's about all I can tell you.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
                Not much I can share, it would all be from memory. I think the Hardtail was first out as a USA made model designed by Dean Zelinsky (Guy who started Dean guitars and later sold his company) when he came back to the company around 2000. Then they started making the imports. Maybe early-mid 2000's? Made for several years but I dont remember when they stopped. I think the standards were just solid colors. The selects had the flame tops and scrape binding. Pickups in my Hardtail Selects were cheap import Alnico pickups. I don't recall if they went to better pickups in later models. That's about all I can tell you.
                That DOES help. Tells me I have a Standard, and possibly not too many fubar S/Ns from Korea. I saw a couple somewhere here that had US and Korea stamped with S/N. Talk about weirdness. BTMN mentioned LATELY they've been figuring it out. Joined DOA (perfect) and maybe later they'll have some info. I'm really curious by nature, so this will be interesting. Maybe I'll find some news for you guys. That guitar and the neck are like silk-no wonder Jeff said what he did. Thanks Darg1911. You play yours??

And buzzard, of dove

Comment

The fretboard is as black as the rest of the guitar (I LOVE that). What do you think it is? Ebony possible on a low end guitar?

And buzzard, of dove

Comment

USA Hardtail production started in late 2001/early 2002. However, I have never seen a 2001 serial number. I have a 2002 USA, #132 made. 02 10132. That's how all the USA models are numbered.

I can't recall exactly, but I think Korean models came out around 2005 or so. The one you have is certainly no older than an 08'/09' model. The specs on the Korean models are very similar to the USA models. Obviously the mahogany back and maple top are of different quality. The USA has an ebony fretboard and the Korean model has a rosewood fretboard; so you have rosewood. However, it was an exceptionally dark piece of wood to begin with. I condition all of my fretboards with gun oil, and I treated yours right before I shipped it. Gun oil helps the wood stay dark and protects it from drying better than anything I have found.

You've listed all the other specs...22 jumbo frets, 3x3 headstock, graphtec nut, TOM bridge and Dean designed stop tail. I'm pretty sure the hardware is chrome however. Dean pickups on the Korean models and I believe they are ceramic, but not terrible. The coolest part of the guitar is the molded heel joint. It makes the neck feel almost like a neck through.... even though it's set. The most comfortable necks I've found.

If I forgot anything or if you want to know something specific about it, just holler at me. The Korean Dean Hardtail's are one of the better guitars to come out of Korea. The quality is superb and they're excellent guitars.

57 is my favorite number BTW.
                    My Sound Clips

Comment

My Dean Shire
                      Has a hardtail

EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The Dean Hardtail has a unique propriety stop tailpiece as seen below. Same concept as the standard TOM/Stop Tail, slightly different execution.

Click image for larger version

Name:	whv1amh1nmzvibjbf36z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	5806208
                        My Sound Clips

Comment

US with the serial number on a Korean guitar means it was made by UnSung Guitars in Korea. The US guitars were ghost built by US Masters Guitars out of Madison, Wn. until January 2008 when Dean brought production in house here in Tampa. US Master did everything up to paint and hardware. JeffH has given you quite a bit of history. Stop by the Facebook Dean Owners Association and I am sure we can fill you in on any other stuff. BTW, big Dean open house event here in Tampa in November.
                          Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                          Guitar to sound output:
                          Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Originally posted by texred View Post
                            That DOES help. Tells me I have a Standard, and possibly not too many fubar S/Ns from Korea. I saw a couple somewhere here that had US and Korea stamped with S/N. Talk about weirdness. BTMN mentioned LATELY they've been figuring it out.
                            Originally posted by BTMN View Post
                            US with the serial number on a Korean guitar means it was made by UnSung Guitars in Korea. The US guitars were ghost built by US Masters Guitars out of Madison, Wn. until January 2008 when Dean brought production in house here in Tampa. US Master did everything up to paint and hardware. JeffH has given you quite a bit of history. Stop by the Facebook Dean Owners Association and I am sure we can fill you in on any other stuff. BTW, big Dean open house event here in Tampa in November.
                            Exactly. US is just part of the serial number. May be a bit confusing but it does say Korea right next to it.

Originally posted by texred View Post
                            The fretboard is as black as the rest of the guitar (I LOVE that). What do you think it is? Ebony possible on a low end guitar?
                            Seems most of the fingerboards are nice and dark and smooth. But they are Rosewood, not Ebony. Look closely at the grain.

It would help id the guitar better if you post pics and the serial number. If it starts with US, the next 2 numbers are probably the year. I've done some recent research on razorbacks. I have digital copies of catalogs for most of the years 2000+.
                            "I am the kind of guy that only buys 100 watt heads just to play at home. I feel like if an amp can't kill a heard of cattle 100 yards away what is the point of owning it."

Comment

Originally posted by wmachine View Post
                              Exactly. US is just part of the serial number. May be a bit confusing but it does say Korea right next to it.

Seems most of the fingerboards are nice and dark and smooth. But they are Rosewood, not Ebony. Look closely at the grain.

It would help id the guitar better if you post pics and the serial number. If it starts with US, the next 2 numbers are probably the year. I've done some recent research on razorbacks. I have digital copies of catalogs for most of the years 2000+.
                              Great! Already registered with DOA (think I would on principle!). Sorry, still struggling with uploading pics. Some memory probs-1day I can do something, and the next day I have no clue and have to figure it out again. Write it down? Sure, I can do that. Where's the paper?

Anyway S/N is E110430, and it just says Korea, no US in number. Sorrry. Have patience.

And buzzard, of dove

Comment

Working...
                              X