• Show
Clear All

• Doctor says I have Grote

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_094551.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	5848388
    So $299US off of the Grote Store on Ebay. What do you get?
    If you don't want to read, I'll save you time. I'm pleasantly surprised.
    As some others are or may have been curious about a Chinese guitar, I was too,so I ordered this.
    I choose this because it has it's own company name, logo and serial number which is important to me. Plus I wanted a purple guitar.
    Shipping: free, packed well, rather quick, 15days to Canada. I payed zero g.s.t or import on pickup.
    Cosmetics: No flaws. No paint on binding, no fish eyes or peeling. Veneer seam is dead center. No complaints. Quite well done.
    Hardware: Not the best but not the worst. A little slop on the tuners, all generic stuff but useable. Plastic nut. Bridge saddles occasionally vibrate with the right note.
    Electrics: Same as hardware, not good but not bad, useable. The pickups are o.k. I don't know about them, I didn't pull them. I haven't cranked it either so I don't know if they get squeally. But with some amp adjusting they sound o.k. Toggle seems solid enough, pots are not as responsive as high end gear.
    Mechanical: Good, better than some in the local store. No fret buzz anywhere. No sharp frets either. Neck is good and straight no weird cocked bridge stuff going on to make it playable. It is painted on the back but it appears to be a one piece neck no joint.

All in I think it's a good guitar for the price. If you are just starting out, it is a great guitar for you. If you are advanced, you will probably gut it and have a very good platform to work with. I plan on new pickups, pots and trim replacement sometime, I can live with it as is and still enjoy it. I am replacing the tuners , bridge because of the color, I hate gold, more than the actual functionality of them.

Out of the box all I had to do was tune it and lower the bridge a smidge and it was playable.
    Oh, one last thing, the knobs have the function labeled on them. I apparently have four volume controls. My guitar can go to forty.

Re: Doctor says I have Grote

The site just says wood. I found the same guitar on Ali, it said mahogany neck and body with a rose wood board. I don't know for sure. It does have some heft to it though.

Comment

Very nice! What are you gonna upgrade it with?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Not sure yet. Maybe some Gibson 57's. S.d custom custom custom customs. I have been curious about Lace pickups. CTS pots, switchcraft toggle I supose. I'll browse bridges tuners for a while and think.
        Last edited by PS412; 05-27-2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I put a roller bridge on two of my Chinese LPs
          And a TP6 tailpiece. It only because I could
          I like having a softer break angle on the bridge
          Doesn't bind when bending

The little fine tuners on the TP6 are totally unnecessary
          But look cool as anything

When you change the hardware are you thinking chrome or nickel or black?
          I think black would look nice
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Black hardware, probably chrome pickups or vice versa. It's all to be determined.

Comment

I love the look, congratulations, also lol @ the thread title.

Comment

Awesome! Good review too!! Im a purple fan and you have me quite tempted!!!!
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Found this on you tube last night. It's not me, but the fellow kinda says the same things.

Comment

I would totally do a black hardware and zebra set on that. Where did you order from? Ali?

I kinda like this modern tele.
                    Very Jackson/Charvel esque.
                    Apparent blank Fender headstock shape, mahogany body w/ binding, Evolution style pups, x-jumbo frets, abalone dots, bound fretboard, charcoal quilt veneer...not bad.

Last edited by Van Noord; 05-28-2018, 12:12 PM.
                    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Nice score!

...but how can anyone dislike gold hardware? I have it on five guitars! [emoji33]

Seriously, very sharp guitar!
                      Originally posted by The Commodores?
                      "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
                        Nice score!

...but how can anyone dislike gold hardware? I have it on five guitars! [emoji33]

Seriously, very sharp guitar!
                        Thanks.
                        Just never been a fan of yellow gold colored anything. White gold is more of my thing.

Comment

Ordered off of ebay: Grote guitar store. I did find it on Ali under KSG guitars. Don't know if they are affiliated or not. KSG seems to have a lot of reviews and orders shipped. It is easy to get tempted.
                          I should add about KSG, one thing I noticed, it is one of the few guitar shops on Ali that actually shows the headstock in the photos.
                          Last edited by PS412; 05-28-2018, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Oh sh¡+ I should learn to read the first line lol.
                            Achilles heel with that tele is the bridge though. Those saddle screws are brutal and upgrading them likely won't do much good.

You'll have fun with that one though.
                            Last edited by Van Noord; 05-28-2018, 01:40 PM.
                            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                              Oh sh¡+ I should learn to read the first line lol.
                              Achilles heel with that tele is the bridge though. Those saddle screws are brutal and upgrading them likely won't do much good.

You'll have fun with that one though.
                              No worries. Yeah, I'll enjoy it. I put about four hours on it so far and it's good. When I get to sprucing it up, probably months from now, it will be really good.
                              That's why I really like the tune o matic, it's easy to deal with. No springs or shims, raise it up lower it down. I'm a fan of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X