Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Capacitors

Originally posted by devastone View Post
    I'll agree with reliability being a reason to go with something else, although I don't think I've ever destroyed a disc using it as a tone control. Don't remember what I used last time, whatever was laying around, probably polyester.

I'm pretty sure that pair of speaker cables is worth more than all my worldly possessions, I'm not sure what part of that statement is more sad, but I'm pretty sure it is true and not by a small margin.
    And that's just for 2 meters. Check out the prices as the lengths increase. There's a drop down menu on that page I linked.

Some people have more money than sense, me thinks. But I'm sure the people who actually spend that type of money on cables would just say that I envy them.

Comment

We've taken this way off topic, now what about those 47 farad capacitors?

Comment

I put a paper in oil cap in my RG2

It sounds great

But it could be the Duncans
        Or the treble bleed
        Or the super switch
        Or the Triple shot rings
        Or the Carvin Tuners
        Etc....etc
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Capacitors

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
          ??

Except integers being easier to remember, discuss and write down. That's why units are scaled.

I think you're just trying to make an argument for the sake of argument...
          No, I’m telling you what I find easier to use.

And you can’t “discuss and write down” fractions or decimals? Lol. That didn’t even make sense.

Fractional inches are particularly easy... half of 3/4 is 3/8... etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
            No, I’m telling you what I find easier to use.

And you can’t “discuss and write down” fractions or decimals? Lol. That didn’t even make sense.

Fractional inches are particularly easy... half of 3/4 is 3/8... etc.

I wonder what response I'd got if I send a crosscut drawing of road plans with all the measures in kilometres.

Width: 0.0042 km
            Slopes: 0.0005 km per side
            Outer slope 0.001 km
            Ditch depht 0.0015 km
            Gravel depht 0.00002 km

"So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I wonder what response I'd got if I send a crosscut drawing of road plans with all the measures in kilometres.

Width: 0.0042 km
              Slopes: 0.0005 km per side
              Outer slope 0.001 km
              Ditch depht 0.0015 km
              Gravel depht 0.00002 km

Totally out of context. But nice try.

Why don’t you use nanometers then since you are so hot over nanos. Lol

Comment

Totally out of context. But nice try.

Why don’t you use nanometers then since you are so hot over nanos. Lol

No. It's exactly and literally a same thing: Scaling of units.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"

Comment

Capacitors

No. It's exactly and literally a same thing: Scaling of units.
                  In a totally impractical way.

People have been using micro Farads for a long time. Like the mid 19th century. So changing to nano Farads offers zero benefits except to those that compulsively feel the need for everything to be in the SI system. Also notice that caps still come in microfarads

Especially if we are talking electric guitars, which originated in the US, and will likely use Imperial units for hardware until we stop making 1/4-20 bolts... which won’t be any time soon. Lol.

Hey I use both inches and metric on a daily basis. Why can’t you? It’s not hard. [emoji2]

Comment

In a totally impractical way.

People have been using micro Farads for a long time. Like the mid 19th century. So changing to nano Farads offers zero benefits except to those that compulsively feel the need for everything to be in the SI system. Also notice that caps still come in microfarads

Especially if we are talking electric guitars, which originated in the US, and will likely use Imperial units for hardware until we stop making 1/4-20 bolts... which won’t be any time soon. Lol.

Hey I use both inches and metric on a daily basis. Why can’t you? It’s not hard. [emoji2]

It has nothing to do with imperial vs metric system.

http://www.telecomabc.com/p/prefix.html

Unit is Farad. Prefix simply states the multiplier.

Comment

It has nothing to do with imperial vs metric system.

http://www.telecomabc.com/p/prefix.html

Unit is Farad. Prefix simply states the multiplier.
                      Then leave it at micro Farad.

Microfarad is one millionth of a Farad. Nano is one billionth. So why use it? It’s almost never been used in North America until recently.

The reason I mostly see is people insist it’s part of the SI. Same reason you see a 1.5m resistor listed as resistors being either written as 4.7k or 4k7. Because decimals are so hard. Lol

Hey you brought it up. Lol

Comment

Then leave it at micro Farad.

Microfarad is one millionth of a Farad. Nano is one billionth. So why use it? It’s almost never been used in North America until recently.

The reason I mostly see is people insist it’s part of the SI. Same reason you see a 1.5m resistor listed as resistors being either written as 4.7k or 4k7. Because decimals are so hard. Lol

Hey you brought it up. Lol

That doesn't make sense at all.

It's just simpler to scale accordingly. Like you said there: 4.7k instead of 4700 ohm, 1M instead of 1000000. You do use those as anyone else dealing with them.

And you also use microfarads, because farad is unusably large unit for normal use. Your fixation about that particular meter simply baffles me.

Farad is SI unit. There is no unit in imperial system for capacitance.

I leave this at that.

Comment

Would ya'll like time privacy
                          Because you both have successfully derailed this thread
                          Please continue your urination contact
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                            Would ya'll like time privacy
                            Because you both have successfully derailed this thread
                            Please continue your urination contact
                            You're right. Sorry about that.

Just can't leave some things hanging loose...

Comment

Working...
                            X