NGD... ESP Eclipse I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD... ESP Eclipse I

Picked this up today at a local pawn shop in dead mint condition. Have had two other Eclipse Standards before... one in satin black and the other in red quilt. Black one had Duncan JB/59s in it was was special. Miss that one. Red one had EMGs and was flawless, but lacked personality. I'm going to get rid of the EMGs in this one. They define "sterile" and "lifeless" to my ears. I hate them. Will probably replace with Fishman Fluence pups, because my buddy at the LGS says they're awesome. He's also got a pair of signed Bonamassas that I could try, or I could use a set of distressed Fralin Pure PAFs that I have in an Agile 3100. Can't go wrong with any of those choices. All will be a dramatic improvement over the EMGs. I can't overstate how uninspired EMG pickups leave me. In addition to the one previous Eclipse, I had them in an Ltd EC1000, EC401, And a few other guitars that are long forgotten. All were excellent guitars, but in every case I had ESPs and Ltds of the exact same model series that were loaded with Duncans that had FAR more tone in them. They were true apples to apples comparisons in each case.

Anyways... the action on this "new" Eclipse is stupid low with nary a hint of fret buzz. It's as low as my holy grail Anderson Drop Top Classic was... which had the lowest action of any guitar I've ever had. So if I can bring the tone out of this beast, it'll stick around a while. Got it for $800. Which is about what I paid for my other two Eclipses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180807_170038.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	5848888
    Last edited by Red_Label; 08-07-2018, 11:06 PM.
    "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Re: NGD... ESP Eclipse I

Nice!

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Really cool - Funny, I've been thinking about taking the EMG dive for a bit now...
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Congrats!

My favorite non-Lester singlecuts!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep that's nice
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Hawt!!!! Congrats!
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
            ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Huh, I always thought they called that generation Eclipse 2's, despite it technically being a 3rd gen???

But, apparently, the 'I' thing is about something other than the generation. Confusing indeed.
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

That's a sharp looking guitar with a nice wood grain top. Congrats on your purchase.

;>)/
                sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Killer guitar, congrats
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

beautiful guitar...if you had a choice between it and a similar Gibson Les Paul (forget about price)...which would you choose?

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                        beautiful guitar...if you had a choice between it and a similar Gibson Les Paul (forget about price)...which would you choose?
                        Depends. Sight unseen and unplayed I'd go with the ESP every time. The consistency of high quality build is on another level than Gibson. My Gibby R0 is a special guitar. But you have to play a bunch of Gibbies to find a few standouts. The average ESP might not have the mojo of the special Gibbies, but the average ESP is a far better playing and more flawless instrument than the average Gibson.
                        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

Congrats! Beautiful guitar!
                          "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                            Depends. Sight unseen and unplayed I'd go with the ESP every time. The consistency of high quality build is on another level than Gibson. My Gibby R0 is a special guitar. But you have to play a bunch of Gibbies to find a few standouts. The average ESP might not have the mojo of the special Gibbies, but the average ESP is a far better playing and more flawless instrument than the average Gibson.
                            for me mojo happens from playing a guitar or amp...yardstick is about one thousand hours long...music soaks into to them by then...Someone like albert, Freddie or BB King could probably load an instrument up with mojo in about a half an hour...sounds weird but that's the way it seems to work...
                            I'd say from your answer ESP is the choice...I always go with the best odds...in the long run you will always lose betting against the house...
                            Last edited by justFred; 08-08-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                              for me mojo happens from playing a guitar or amp...yardstick is about one thousand hours long...music soaks into to them by then...Someone like albert, Freddie or BB King could probably load an instrument up with mojo in about a half an hour...sounds weird but that's the way it seems to work...
                              I'd say from your answer ESP is the choice...I always go with the best odds...in the long run you will always lose betting against the house...
                              I know what you're saying regarding playing a guitar to give it mojo. But some pieces of wood and builds have more life in them from the get-go than others will ever have. My beat-to-hell, played-into-the-weeds '91 LP Studio has more "mojo" than my '14 R0... but the R0 is far more lively and resonant. I have to work to get the tone/musicality out of the Studio... whereas the R0 just oozes tone/musicality.
                              Last edited by Red_Label; 08-08-2018, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X