Anyone played the New RG550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone played the New RG550?

Anyone played the new RG550 genesis as I’m looking for a new guitar to replace my xiphos XPT700 due to the poor trem.
    Considering an RG550 though I’m open to anything really will be used for thrash and technical death metal as well as ambient stuff, requires a Double Locking trem and a HH or HSH Pup Configuration
    Budget is 1100 dollars new or used
    So far I’ve seen

RG550 Genesis, basswood body with bolt on maple neck with maple board, 25.5 inch scale length with Original Edge trem and it’s made in Japan. 999 dollars new.

RGD2120Z, Basswood body with bolt on maple neck and Rosewood Board, 26.5 inch scale Length with Edge Pro Trem and it’s made in Japan’s 1100 dollars used.

RGT42, Mahogany Body with Maple/walnut neck thru and rosewood board, 25.5 inch scale length with Edge Pro II Trem and it’s made in Korea 500 dollars used.

BC Rich WMD Warbeast, Mahogany Body with Maple Neck thru and Ebony board, 25.5 inch scale length with OFR and it’s Made in Korea 750 Dollars Used

BC Rich NJ Warbeast, same as WMD but has a FR 1000 and is 550 Dollars Used

ESP LTD EC-1000 FR, Mahogany Body with Mahogany Set Neck and Ebony Neck, 24.75 inch scale length with FR 1000, Made in Korea and is 1100 Dollars NEW.
    Guitars:
    Daemoness Atlantean (unknown Bareknuckles) D
    PRS SE Mark Holcomb (Alpha/Omega set) Drop C
    ESP LTD EC-1000 FR (EMG Het Set) D
    Jackson USA WR1 Absinthe Frost (EMG 81/85) D
    Ibanez MMM1 (Blackouts) Drop A
    Ibanez RGIT20FE-SBF (Loomis Blackout Neck/Mick Thomson Blackout Bridge) Drop C
    Ibanez SZ320 (ibanez/duncan pickups) Drop D
    Schecter Synyster Gates Custom (Invaders set) D
    Aristides 060 (Bareknuckle Aristides Customs) D

Re: Anyone played the New RG550?

RG6PCMLTD, Ash Body with 11pc laminate bolt on neck and maple board, 25.5 inch scale length with EDGE Zero II trem and it’s Made in Indonesia, 1000 Dollars Used

Solar S1.6 FR, Alder Body with Maple neck thru and maple Board, 25.5 inch scale with FR 1000 and it’s made in Indonesia, it’s 1050 dollars New.
    Guitars:

Comment

Originally posted by 6stringerguy View Post

RG6PCMLTD, Ash Body with 11pc laminate bolt on neck and maple board, 25.5 inch scale length with EDGE Zero II trem and it’s Made in Indonesia, 1000 Dollars Used

Solar S1.6 FR, Alder Body with Maple neck thru and maple Board, 25.5 inch scale with FR 1000 and it’s made in Indonesia, it’s 1050 dollars New.
      Definitely NOT the Indo's

Shoddy wood has done surprisingly decent for Indo basses, but no 4-digit worthy guitars ever made there

Also of note, that factory's output is the ***FOURTH*** TIER in Ibanez's overall product lineup, and the RG6 is a mid-level/second rate product for THAT FACTORY even...visually, they look kinda nice, but playability and sound are both bland as hell
      Last edited by Adieu; 08-09-2018, 09:02 PM.
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

PS thrash and technical death for $1 grand ?

Why not just buy the industry-standard ESP Standard M-ii or Horizon with whichever pups you prefer??

Note: unless you like super-thin but extra wide Ibby necks and hate ESP Japan's neck profiles (very different from LTD btw, despite whatever they say)
        Last edited by Adieu; 08-09-2018, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
          PS thrash and technical death for $1 grand ?

Why not just buy the industry-standard ESP Standard M-ii or Horizon with whichever pups you prefer??

Note: unless you like super-thin but extra wide Ibby necks and hate ESP Japan's neck profiles (very different from LTD btw, despite whatever they say)
          Most of those are a bit out of my price range

RGT220a, ash Body with Maple/Wenge neck thru and rosewood, 25.5 inch scale length with Edge Pro Trem and it’s made in Japan 900 Used
          Last edited by 6stringerguy; 08-09-2018, 10:38 PM.
          Guitars:

Comment

Adieu,

What are you talking about being 4th tier Ibanez?

6stringerguy,

i LOVE that purple one!!! I had an RG570 that I wish Id never sold. Also bout one of the 20th anniv reissue RG550s and loved that one too.
            If I had means to buy one now, Id love that purple..
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

If the genesis wasn't purple that would be my pick.

A couple notes;
              The OFR(pro) on the WMD Warbeast is exactly the same as the FR-1000 on the NJ-delux Warbeast, they changed the name of that trem but it's the same from the same South Korean factory.
              Also, those both have wide and chunky necks with a deep rounded back.
              The WMD is way overpriced IMO, although it does have EMGs and a case at least. They were $699 new without case, and had rockfield pups.

The original edge on the 550 is a great + for that price. The edge-pro isn't bad at all, but if we're splitting hairs those things can make a difference.
              Last edited by dave74; 08-10-2018, 03:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                If the genesis wasn't purple that would be my pick.

A couple notes;
                The OFR(pro) on the WMD Warbeast is exactly the same as the FR-1000 on the NJ-delux Warbeast, they changed the name of that trem but it's the same from the same South Korean factory.
                Also, those both have wide and chunky necks with a deep rounded back.
                The WMD is way overpriced IMO, although it does have EMGs and a case at least. They were $699 new without case, and had rockfield pups.

The original edge on the 550 is a great + for that price. The edge-pro isn't bad at all, but if we're splitting hairs those things can make a difference.
                I’m adaptable in terms of neck shape, but if those Warbeasts aren’t good for the money then I’ll discount those
                I wasn’t considering solely purple was also looking at the Road Flare Red
                Guitars:

Comment

You like super-thin necks? 17mm is very thin.
                  If you do then that's an awesome deal IMO. $999 is sweet once you apply an order discount of 15%-20% off.
                  Those do ship without a case, so there's another expense to add-in, but the case should also be discounted on the deal.

The neck-thru Warbeasts are cool, I still have my WMD but it's not the most ergonomic guitar by any stretch lol.
                  I enjoy mine more seated because I can use my right inner-thigh to hook that lower horn.
                  Standing it's a neck-diving nightmare anytime you take your hand/arms off the body.

The MIJ Ibanez are a step up in quality control standards, and much much more comfortable playing for long session. You forget you're even wearing them!

Comment

You like super-thin necks? 17mm is very thin.
                    If you do then that's an awesome deal IMO. $999 is sweet once you apply an order discount of 15%-20% off.
                    Those do ship without a case, so there's another expense to add-in, but the case should also be discounted on the deal.

The neck-thru Warbeasts are cool, I still have my WMD but it's not the most ergonomic guitar by any stretch lol.
                    I enjoy mine more seated because I can use my right inner-thigh to hook that lower horn.
                    Standing it's a neck-diving nightmare anytime you take your hand/arms off the body.

The MIJ Ibanez are a step up in quality control standards, and much much more comfortable playing for long session. You forget you're even wearing them!
                    Neck dive is another reason I’m selling a xiphos so the BC Riches are off the list,
                    Played a Red Rg550 at Guitar Center and it played nice and sounded good, still getting used to the bolt on heel but now it’s pretty much MIJ Ibanez vs Korean LTD Eclipse.
                    Guitars:

Comment

Night and day between those two, but both are very appealing.

I love full mahogany neck and body with ebony, and having emgs and the gold hardware might tip the scale if it were me. (I prefer pickup rings also just to make swapping easier)

My only complaint on the eclipse is the slightly narrower neck. I'm not sure what the depth and carve is like on the neck-back, but it's definitely more rounded and deeper than the Ibby, that's for sure.

Comment

Night and day between those two, but both are very appealing.

I love full mahogany neck and body with ebony, and having emgs and the gold hardware might tip the scale if it were me. (I prefer pickup rings also just to make swapping easier)

My only complaint on the eclipse is the slightly narrower neck. I'm not sure what the depth and carve is like on the neck-back, but it's definitely more rounded and deeper than the Ibby, that's for sure.
                        My two favourite necks in my collection is the slim taper neck on my PRS Holcomb and the Nitro Wizard on My RG.
                        That being said I have no les Paul style guitar or EMG guitar in my collection but also have no Japanese guitars in my collection.
                        Guitars:

Comment

Also if anyone has any suggestions I’m open to em,
                          Requirements are:
                          Minimal neck dive
                          24 frets
                          Good quality Double Locking Trem
                          Good upper fret access
                          Made in Korea or Japan
                          HH or HSH configuration
                          Guitars:

Comment

Originally posted by 6stringerguy View Post
                            Also if anyone has any suggestions I’m open to em,
                            Requirements are:
                            Minimal neck dive
                            24 frets
                            Good quality Double Locking Trem
                            Good upper fret access
                            Made in Korea or Japan
                            HH or HSH configuration

Also could buy this and just get a neck pickup routed out and installed..
                            Guitars:

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                              Adieu,

What are you talking about being 4th tier Ibanez?

6stringerguy,

i LOVE that purple one!!! I had an RG570 that I wish Id never sold. Also bout one of the 20th anniv reissue RG550s and loved that one too.
                              If I had means to buy one now, Id love that purple..
                              Ibanez products are tiered:
                              Jcustom
                              MIJ
                              MIK
                              Made-elsewhere

....this stuff is premium-badged but made-elsewhere

Comment

Working...
                              X