Thoughts On Gibson 2017 Les Paul Studio Worn T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts On Gibson 2017 Les Paul Studio Worn T

Hey guys, hope all is well A while back, our bass player had what I think was a 2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded in Worn Cherry with the factory BurstBucker pickups and also had Grover Rotomatics, which I think the person that had it before him replaced the stock Kluson with the plastic tuning heads? He let me use it at our practices for a little while, I'm thinking of getting one as I play in a 70's/80's classic rock/hard rock/hair metal cover band in standard E tuning. I've been reading up on those and then I am seeing where the Gibson 2017 Les Paul Studio Worn T's are on sale for like $799 like this one below in Worn Cherry which I like that finish:

Like your favorite pair of jeans, this Les Paul offers a worn-in feel for a perfect fit, featuring 490R and 490T humbuckers and Ultra-Modern weight relief.

Any thoughts on the 2017 Gibson Les Paul Studio Worn T's? My main guitar for rehearsals is the Epiphone LP Custom you see in my Sig, it's extremely heavy in weight, and I've been using my other guitarist's EVH 5150 III 50 Watt 1x12 combo into the Marshall 4x12 you see in my Sig as well, not running the internal speaker in the combo, as my Mesa Tremoverb has been on the fritz again My pedalboard, MXR Classic Chorus and a Modtone Clean Boost (For Solos) through the effects loop of EVH. I'm seriously thinking about getting the revised 2018 EVH 5150 III Head with the concentric Volume and Gain pots for the Clean and Blue channels.
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Re: Thoughts On Gibson 2017 Les Paul Studio Worn T

The intentionally sad finish always felt like it was put there on purpose to let you know they cut corners and made sure it wouldn't feel like a nice guitar.... it's their intentionally-sloppy-feel model

I had a $25-new junk eastern europe acoustic made out of mystery wood that had the exact same feeling finish and very similar attention to detail.

Find a used 90s studio if you want a gibson for $800 imho. Those were properly made guitars. Or a high-end japanese standard or custom copy, those things are deadly
    Last edited by Adieu; 08-13-2018, 09:28 AM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Adieu is right about the finish, they don't put a whole lot of work into it. I have a 2013 70's Tribute and it probably has less attention to the finish than the newer sub 1K Les Pauls. I look at it this way ... it will relic quicker
      My Tribute wasn't perfect (needed a couple of fret ends touched up and a little nut slot work). It ain't fancy either but I love that guitar. It was local so I did get to play it first. At any rate, not a bad idea to at least checking them out locally, if possible. Even if your intention is to buy online. Buying online, just make sure the online dealer that you buy from has a generous, no hassle return/exchange policy.

Comment

My '17 Tribute is a beast of a guitar and their newer faded finishes are a little more refined than the earlier ones.
        Last edited by Wattage; 08-19-2018, 12:24 PM.
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

All I have to say is play one in person before you make the purchase.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I'm not jumping up and down about it even at $800....

For less than that you can get an ESP LTD EC-1000. JB/Jazz, great finish, light weight....Perfect for you. Less than $700
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm with some of these other guys and I do not recommend this particular series of guitars. I'd follow the suggestions about how to stay in that price range for a Les Paul-ish guitar. The LP Studio Faded's won't sound, look, or feel like a real Les Paul. I owned a 2016 version of the Faded you are looking at for two years and eventually traded it for a different guitar. I do not miss that guitar. It turned me off to Gibson for a while. Recently however, I'm on a Les Paul kick. A well made LP has tons of mojo and character to it. A studio faded has none of that, just the Gibson Les Paul name on the headstock and, to quote the above, "intentionally sloppy feel".
              ROCK ON.

Comment

Butt ugly ...

Comment

I second that.
                  For comparison i own a EC1000 and Epiphone Les Paul Custom 2006.

The EC1000 is a higher quality guitar than the Epiphone, even though Korea made Epi is nice bang for the buck. Some times I even choose the EC1000 before the Gibson LP Classic 2017T and ESP Eclipse when playing metal. There's probably no Les Paul shaped guitar that can compare to EC1000 in quality and price combined.

Just to mention - The EC1000 is a higher quality guitar than my Gibson SG Faded.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    I second that.

The EC1000 is a higher quality guitar than the Epiphone, even though Korea made Epi is nice bang for the buck. Some times I even choose the EC1000 before the Gibson LP Classic 2017T and ESP Eclipse when playing metal. There's probably no Les Paul shaped guitar that can compare to EC1000 in quality and price combined.

Just to mention - The EC1000 is a higher quality guitar than my Gibson SG Faded.
                    Not related to the thread but curious. What year is your EC1000?

Comment

I think its a 2011 model, serial number begings with W11. Looks like ebony fretboard, satin black finish with yellow binding. Loaded with GFS Vintage 59 and Gibson Burstbucker 1. Sounds great, but I'll install a dimarzio tonezone and see if its better.

I would try the studio. I have two Gibsons and they both are great guitars, but they are very different. But the EC1000 is very slim, it has a neck thats a little bit rounder and slimmer than Gibson Slim tapper neck and it just feels more metal than the Gibson, allthough Gibson make some good guitars too.

Comment

I think its a 2011 model, serial number begings with W11. Looks like ebony fretboard, satin black finish with yellow binding. Loaded with GFS Vintage 59 and Gibson Burstbucker 1. Sounds great, but I'll install a dimarzio tonezone and see if its better.

I would try the studio. I have two Gibsons and they both are great guitars, but they are very different. But the EC1000 is very slim, it has a neck thats a little bit rounder and slimmer than Gibson Slim tapper neck and it just feels more metal than the Gibson, allthough Gibson make some good guitars too.
                        Korean made then.

I was curious because I was surprised to find that they moved production of the EC1000's and some of the other upper end LTD's to Indonesia. I haven't followed ESP for a while and I'm not sure when they moved that production but I think it was recent. I'm not saying that they can't produce a good guitar in Indonesia but I think I would be disappointed if I were fan of the upper end LTD's. But that's just me.

Comment

I second that.

I sold my two Gibson Les Pauls and kept my two Fujigen Orvilles with long tenons.

Comment

I wont argue with that, always wanned to try one along with a good Burny or Edwards. They're very hard to get a hand on in Norway unfortunately. You're a lucky man

Comment

I haven't played a 2017...but I had 2 early 2000s Gibson Les Paul Studio with the Worn Finish and they were really great players with really good tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X