banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New old guitar day. Handbuilt Australian dreadnought.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New old guitar day. Handbuilt Australian dreadnought.

1979 Maton (the brand tommy emmanuel uses) CW80 model. Most people call this the "country and western" model. For those of you not familiar with maton guitars, they have been hand built in Australia since the 50s and are still going strong today. Somewhat of a legend here for working musos.
    Sitka spruce top and queensland maple back and sides. It is a beast of a guitar. No bling, just sound. Real thin satin finish. Been gassing for one like this for years.
    The cw80 has been in constant production since the 70s with some evolutionary changes (like using csc machines in production), but recently maton reissued these 70s style axes although they now use different woods due to changes in supply and also the technology in the workshop means they make em a bit different. The new ones are nice...but some of these old ones are really special. Solid build quality but not "over engineered". This one rings clear and true from the low e all the way up to the dusty end of the fretboard with sustain and harmonic overtones that keep surprising me. Love this thing. Top is dead flat, frets are dead level (recently levelled and set up) and it plays fast and low. I guess it is a "medium c" style neck...definitely thinner on the back than a lot of axes and easy on the hands. Oh, it is also huge and deep...it feels larger than a d28 or d18.
    Duncan Mag Mic on the way...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	maton 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	5848923

Name:	maton 2.jpg
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	5848924

Name:	maton 3.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	5848925

Name:	maton 4.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	5848926
    Last edited by Chickenwings; 08-14-2018, 07:02 AM.
    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
    Yehudi Menuhin

Re: New old guitar day. Handbuilt Australian dreadnought.

looks like a nice axe! dont see too many matons around

Comment

Good to see another great Aussie guitar

Comment

Congratulations! Enjoy that beast.
        "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          looks like a nice axe! dont see too many matons around
          Over here, if you see someone playing a gig on acoustic, it is more likely that they are playing a maton than any other guitar.
          Last edited by Chickenwings; 08-14-2018, 02:51 PM.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

id expect they are more common over there but im surprised they are that widespread. the only ones ive seen in the states were in the hands of one famous aussie who makes us all look like pathetic wankers

Comment

^ +1 I've had the opportunity to see Tommy a couple times. Amazing guitarist. It's the only reason I know what a Maton is. Nice score.

Comment

Awesome score!

Never played one (never seen one in person for that matter) but the ones I've heard sounded killer.

Enjoy!

Comment

Looks like a nice guitar and playable.

;>)/
                  sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    id expect they are more common over there but im surprised they are that widespread. the only ones ive seen in the states were in the hands of one famous aussie who makes us all look like pathetic wankers
                    Laughed my head off.
                    After i stopped laughing I started crying.
                    It hurts cos its true!
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                    X