No-Load Pots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No-Load Pots

I am switching out 2 scratchy pots on a guitar (1 vol and 1 tone) and have decided to buy cts no load 500k: https://www.allparts.uk.com/products...-with-hardware
    This may sound like a stupid question but I have only heard no load used as tone pots, so do no-load pots work as volume as well?
    Also do they work like linear or audio pots? Thanks

Re: No-Load Pots

They sure do work on volume as well, it's like wiring it directly to the output jack. I've heard people say 'use as tone pot only' but I don't quite understand why (other than preference)

The one's I got were audio taper (CTS 500k) but I can't say for sure with the ones you posted.

EDIT: I was wrong, I used mine on tone not volume, Jacew has the answer.
    Last edited by Kamanda~SD; 08-16-2018, 06:51 AM.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Don't you have to wire them differently to use them for volume? I'm thinking that wiring a no load pot for volume the conventional way would result in no output at all when it's wide open.

Comment

No load pot doesn't work for volume. It works by cutting the connection between input and output lugs, so you won't get any output.

For no-load volume you need to modify stereo pot:

Just open the pot and carefully cut the carbon trace on the input end of lower slider.

Then you wire input normally to both sliders. Connect output to upper slider and ground to lower.

So when it's full on, the connection is broken to ground and you have full output.

There's no distinctive jump if you use 500k pot, when lowering volume.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
            No load pot doesn't work for volume. It works by cutting the connection between input and output lugs, so you won't get any output.
            I take back my comment then, and just checked my spec sheets and yes...I used the no-load on tone, not volume. My bad!
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

You can have a virtual no-load volume by simply using a 1 meg pot. I doubt you'd hear the difference switching it in and out of circuit.

Comment

Great, cheers guys. I’ll use a linear for volume and no load for tone

Comment

Working...
                X