Alternative fingerboard material.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alternative fingerboard material.

Can this not be made in larger pieces? I wonder how it would be for a full body?
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 08-21-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      Here's the same link in English: https://www.madinter.com/blackwood-tek.html

Can this not be made in larger pieces? I wonder how it would be for a full body?
      The one I posted wasn't in English? Come up in English when I click on it. Weird.

Comment

Reverend Dirtbike guitar with Blackwood Tek fretboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
          The one I posted wasn't in English? Come up in English when I click on it. Weird.
          That's odd. Now it does for me too.

Comment

So.... you want a Steinberger?
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I love my Richlite fretboard on my 2012 Gibson Les Paul Supreme. Consistently maintains an excellent feel, doesn't harbor any oils or dirt and plays/sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                So.... you want a Steinberger?
                Definitely not. Just curious what the size limitation is on this process.

Comment

Definitely not. Just curious what the size limitation is on this process.
                  If you don't want the SOUND of a composite material body, then why did you even ask?
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

To be honest, I didn't really get the Steinberger reference. When I think of a Steinberger, I think of those "stick" guitars, with no headstock. That's what I wouldn't care for, but more importantly, I don't get how that relates to this thread about this wood process. I was just curious if this process yields larger pieces of wood and how it might sound as a guitar body. Sorry if I missed your point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffblue View Post
                      I love my Richlite fretboard on my 2012 Gibson Les Paul Supreme. Consistently maintains an excellent feel, doesn't harbor any oils or dirt and plays/sounds great.
                      The same with my Memphis. I am more than happy with the Richlite freatboard. I wish the granadillo fretboard on my SG Special was as nice. It is a bit grainy on some of the upper frets.

Comment

I own a tenor recorder made of pear, and it sounds great! Clean Master Facebook Lite Mathway
                        Last edited by carlajiji; 09-12-2018, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carlajiji View Post
                          I own a tenor recorder made of pear, and it sounds great!
                          I have one too! Made of pear, no less!
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Pine? Ughh.

Just use freakin maple. Stain it if need be. Done.
                            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I love the consistent positive tone some continue to display in our threads.

I'm all for alternate materials, provided they don't hinder the feel/playability of the instrument. I will admit to being rooted in tradition when it comes to fretboard's. I like solid black ebony and dark chocolate rosewood. I don't care for the lighter brown shades of rosewood or some of the alternate woods like Pau Ferro, but all that means is that my choices are restricted. I think as many alternate woods as possible should be used, as long as they are musical. I would certainly not turn away a Richlite fretboard. It looks, feels and sounds like ebony to me. I played a Custom last time I was at GC and it was very nice.
                              My Sound Clips

Comment

When Fender came out with the SRV Strat, it had a Pau fingerboard, and that was considered an upgrade of sorts from Rosewood. No one complained then. I find it funny that people think it's heresy now that Fender has changed to PF on most of it's cheaper guitars, but I understand the reverence for Rosewood, it's one of the favored fingerboard woods, along with maple and ebony. I would rather have Rosewood myself, but we as guitarists are just going to have to get used to the current situation with regard to regulations on the use of some woods. I draw the line at Richlite and similar composition "fake" woods on fingerboards, companies like Hagstrom have been using something similar on their fretboards for years now. You just have to pay a premium now for Rosewood and Ebony on the high-volume guitar companies.
                                Al

Comment

Working...
                                X