No announcement yet.

Funky Tele in the house. (Not mine.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Funky Tele in the house. (Not mine.)

Yeah. That is kinda cool. What you can't tell by the pics, is thing is kinda "tacky" to the touch. Not a good feel at all.

Comment

But it look nice
      Mean green or some other degreaser
      Probably like you said, oil spray
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        Not yet. It's hard to see in my pics, but the controls got whacked directly on top. I'm trying to rebuild the pots and 3-way so that we can keep it original. I'm only doing the electronic part. My luthier friend already did the fret job. (Complete replacement.) That's why the frets are shiny.
        The originals looked like bumpers on a junkyard Studebaker. I'm not sure what, if anything, he's going to do with the finish.
        Cool project. But I can't say I agree with the owner that an attempted rebuild on the pots and switch is "worth it." It's hammered to hell anyhow. Replacement pots and switch aren't going to scratch its value, with the finish looking like that, and a refret having been done anyhow. I'd just wire up the pickups to nice, new pots, cap, and switch, and keep the original parts in a baggie in the case. Original pots only matter on clean, all original guitars. They have no appeal on this guitar.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

We're trying to tell him that. In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing now. Simply making it workable.

Comment

I second the MoJo on that guitar. I like worn out guitars just like your old favourite T-shirt.

;>)/
            sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I’m not sure how I feel about this tele.
              I’m not typically a fan of the relic’d thing but since this is actual relic it gets bonus points! It looks like it would be uncomfortable as all hell to play.

Comment

;>)/

Comment

^^^what the...

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    ^^^what the...
                    A relicing job with a Zippo lighter gone the wrong turn.

;>)/

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                      Cool project. But I can't say I agree with the owner that an attempted rebuild on the pots and switch is "worth it." It's hammered to hell anyhow. Replacement pots and switch aren't going to scratch its value, with the finish looking like that, and a refret having been done anyhow. I'd just wire up the pickups to nice, new pots, cap, and switch, and keep the original parts in a baggie in the case. Original pots only matter on clean, all original guitars. They have no appeal on this guitar.
                      Absolutely, totally agree!
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by RorySquier View Post

;>)/
                        That looks phoney as all hell. Very bad "relic" job.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Why is that "bad?" Are 50-year-old Teles supposed to look new?

Originally posted by nedcronin
                          Pretty much what you suggested Ink.
                          Originally posted by metalmachine
                          dont worry about it bro. even if we dont like it...... were just internet ppl. not real ppl. more like a hulicination of a mythical forest creature.

Comment

that '68 needs a bit of a bath. may look cool but if its sticky to the touch, thats nasty. im not a fan of the zippo relic job

Comment

I like the garage relic on the finish with Whatsapp Messenger Hotstar
                              Last edited by carlajiji; 09-04-2018, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RorySquier View Post
                                I second the MoJo on that guitar. I like worn out guitars just like your old favourite T-shirt.
                                It's not really "worn out", or "relic'd" in the traditional sense of those terms. It was close to new when it was stashed away. Unfortunately, it was not stashed in a good place. That's all environmental damage. ("Damage" might not be the right word in this context.)

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                                that '68 needs a bit of a bath. may look cool but if its sticky to the touch, thats nasty.
                                Upon further talking with my luthier friend, I found out that he actually "cleaned" the right half in that 1st pic. The dark stuff, on the left, is the sticky part. Apparently the owner wants that cleaned up too. So it doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth, so to speak.

Comment

Working...
                                X