banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you confirm this is a real 1975 Les Paul Deluxe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can you confirm this is a real 1975 Les Paul Deluxe?

I'd love to have bought that guitar. I love red Deluxes, and the vintage P90 conversion was a really nice touch.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
      I'd love to have bought that guitar. I love red Deluxes, and the vintage P90 conversion was a really nice touch.
      Yeah and he was looking for an SG and I've got a 62 I want to trade but guess it wasn't meant to be.

Thanks again to everyone for all the input...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
      What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
        You know the Deluxes were left over P-90 gold top bodies! After Gibson switched to humbuckers they wanted to use the bodies (figuring no one wanted P-90s any more) so they used a P-90 cover and mounted an Epiphone mini humbucker in it. Pretty clever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
          You know the Deluxes were left over P-90 gold top bodies! After Gibson switched to humbuckers they wanted to use the bodies (figuring no one wanted P-90s any more) so they used a P-90 cover and mounted an Epiphone mini humbucker in it. Pretty clever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          That is indeed how the Deluxe was "invented" in '68 or so, though it later became a model in its own right, not just made up of parts. The initial '68 reintroduction of the Les Paul included P-90 gold tops (my friend has one of these – very cool guitar). These weren't so hotly received at the time, so they didn't stick around too long.

As you said, the mini humbucker rings were even made from P-90 pickup covers. However, they aren't true pickup "rings" in the typical sense. The pickups are held solidly in position in relation to the rings, using a spacer and a soldered nut. The entire pickup/ring assembly moves up and down when the pickup height is adjusted. The height screws thread in to a metal plate that spans the bottom of the pickup cavity.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
          X