banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the hell happened, Guitar Center???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell happened, Guitar Center???

Drove past my local SoCal GC today, went in to take a look around... SOOO depressing

Took me like 30 minutes of wandering around to even see anything I was tempted to plug in. Cheapest item of any interest whatsoever was a used FGN bass, somewhat overpriced at 699, which turned out to have somewhat jacked up electronics and be strung with some monstrous string gauge I can only assume was meant for like Drop F if not lower --- and then tuned to BEAD. Barely playable..,

Out of curiousity, checked to see if at least the 999 & up category had anything fun... NOT REALLY. A used Warren DeMartini Charvel turned out to be Mexican, have iffy wiring, and just fall far short of the $999 asking price. The new Ibby RG550's were okay-ish, but the necks were kinda sad in comparison to the old ones, and while they were crisp clean builds, the maple looked like something off a Squier Affinity, not a $1k axe. Felt like a damn budget model.

An Ibby Prestige for $1500 felt like a solid B+, but at that price, come on... an RG 1570 i once had was infinitely more satisfying and a much nicer build.

The Gibsons all felt like Epiphones and had flimsy creaky and loose pickguards. And horrible necks. Sttangely, they weren't even robotuners, but still no joy

Tried to try a brand new Schecter, just to see what the EMG Retroactives in it were like --- but it immediately delivered earsplitting feedback upon plugging it in. Clearly something wired wrong or defective.

Looked in vain for any E-II, LTD Elite, or old fullbrand ESP -- nothing in stock... barely several random Korean LTDs.

Oh and of course the tube amps in the store were all jacked up and trashed or on their last legs.

....what the hell happened?????
    Last edited by Adieu; 08-29-2018, 05:22 PM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Re: What the hell happened, Guitar Center???

Clearly somebody went before you and bought all the cool stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post

Right down to the heavy Dunlop gel picks lol

Comment

It's probably because they are poorly setup with year old strings, and all most likely out of tune.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

A better question would be what the hell happened to the new and used guitar market?

Comment

The last time I went to one it was just a bunch DJ and lighting equipment. You know real musician stuff.

Comment

I've never been inside a Guitar Center, so I couldn't tell ya...

My local shop is great...

Last edited by Van Noord; 08-29-2018, 07:54 PM.
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Van Noord View Post
                I've never been inside a Guitar Center, so I couldn't tell ya...
                It's like the Walmart of guitars in that employees of neither company cannot be expected to know an awful lot about guitars.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  It's probably because they are poorly setup with year old strings, and all most likely out of tune.
                  That doesnt really change the feel of a neck or the shoddiness of dodgy pots and screwed up wiring.... i mean, how the hell do you even get an EMG pickup to feedback???

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                    That doesnt really change the feel of a neck or the shoddiness of dodgy pots and screwed up wiring.... i mean, how the hell do you even get an EMG pickup to feedback???
                    I'm not saying those are the only reasons for declining quality for GC guitars, I'm just saying they are definitely contributing factors.

As for the EMGs, those are actually pretty nice pickups. There is little information about them online, but the ones I tried were pretty nice. I had a Fat 55 neck/Hot 70 bridge in a Firebird I recently hot roddes. If you get the chance to find a set that is wired in correctly (they are plug-in pickups, so the odds of finding another set of lemons is pretty low) you should give them s shot.

Comment

The internet.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

As most would agree, GC is very Hit/Miss. The one i went to regularly for tech work in the St Louis area was fantastic-awesome customer service and took care of the instruments on the floor. The one near me now (Englewood, CO) is awful. Kids that dont know **** about their guitars, especially the older ones and parts are not even organized on their shelves/racks. It's just plain terrible. I have been to many around the country and as i said, its hit/miss. you may have a store manager that still cares and gives his work staff good training while others are in total disarray.
                        Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
                        Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                          Yep raid my local GC regularly and have gotten some GREAT deals or really nice used gear there.
                          May just be my store but have seriously made out like a bandit a few times at mine!!
                          Examples a DEAD MINT absolutely FLAWLESS 2017 Kiesel DC 135 I took home for a grand flat OTD just before Christmas last year. Spot on the specs of one I built on the Keisel guitar builder that came in at $1850 + shipping with the case. Paperwork showed the guitar was less than 30 days old.
                          Mesa Subway Rocket Reverb I snagged in nice shape with fresh JJ tubes for $350 OTD.
                          Mint Egnator Tweaker 1/12 for $125 and the list goes on. All in the last year.
                          Last edited by Ascension; 08-29-2018, 08:03 PM.
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I went to the Arvada store a few weeks ago for the first time in years and it was nothing like it used to be, but I think it is a reflection of the musical instrument market these days. Honestly have to say I was never a big fan of GC, but if you needed something ASAP they usually had it.

I have made some nice used scores in the past on GC online.
                            Last edited by devastone; 08-29-2018, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                              A better question would be what the hell happened to the new and used guitar market?
                              I keep nice stuff on the wall at the Pawn Shop!!
                              This year alone I personally through the shop have sold a dead mint 88 PRS Custom 24, 2012 Lucile in Black, 2002 Historic R8, 1927 L7, several nice 1990's era USA Strats, a few Taylors and Martins bunch of nice tube amps and a bunch of other mid line stuff.
                              Dropped this NICE neck through Yamaha Pacifica 1421 off after I went through it here at the house and got her back right to our Pelham shop just yesterday priced at $1150. I also have a 89 Robin RD 50 on the wall at Hoover priced at just $550! Deals are out there if you look!
                              The Pacifica (crappy cell phone photos from my Facebook add sorry!!)

Last edited by Ascension; 08-29-2018, 08:01 PM.
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X