Strat Overhaul X2 (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat Overhaul X2 (Pic Heavy)

Hello SDUGF! I decided it was time to overhaul two of my earliest guitars and give them some extra TLC they deserve. I also decided that it was time to put my black MIM back to standard strat configuration as all my other guitars have humbuckers in the bridge. For those who don't want the full dealio, here's some before and after:

BEFORE

AFTER

Common Mods:

For both of these I decided to upgrade the trem blocks with steel ones from GFS, as well as use a Graphtech Supercharger Kit for all the other parts (the MIM already had a TUSQ nut, but the value of the supercharger kit is superb). I also re-wired everything with Bourns pots and a Oak Grigsby switch for the squier and a CRL for the MIM.

Let's start with the Squier:

1998 Standard Fat Strat in Galactic Purple (check out that colour change!)

Changed out the SC's for some Fender Tex Mex, kept the C8/59 hybrid humbucker (Auto-Split and Tone on humbucker)

The Block JUST fit in. If I was going to be using the trem on this I would definitely shave a bit off the side of the cavity, but since I use this one for lots of alternate tunings, I'm keeping 'er right down!

Here's the difference in block size:

Stock weighted in at 150.8 grams, with the GFS coming in at 231.1 grams.

MIM Strat:

1996 Standard MIM Strat in Black

Changed out the pickups to SSL-1's across the board

Block fit with lots of room, however if I was going to be doing dive bombs on this I would need to take a bit off the back (but that's what my floyded guitars are for) Stock = 136 GFS = 254 .

This was interesting as the last time I had this guitar opened up was probably 8 years ago...a pretty embarrassing shielding and wiring job I must say (I took pics, but no you can't see them haha).

Anyways...Thoughts:

Squier: Tuning stability is obviously way better with all the graphtech parts. Sustain is better and louder acoustically. Guitar is just a sleeker machine now. Tex-Mex pickups (I did push the pole pieces down as is common with these) are actually quite nice. I've always wanted to grab some of these pickups and with them being on the cheaper side, it was a good fit for this guitar. Overall super happy with how this turned out. This guitar has always played amazing, but suffered from the obvious Squier shortfalls, so it's nice to bring it up a few notches.

MIM: It really is nice to have a s/s/s back in the lineup. The SSL-1's are just amazing, exactly what I wanted. Still debating on whether I want to put a SSL-5 in there. Wiring the bridge pickup to the tone knob helps with the brightness, but going to keep it for awhile and see if I need just a little bit more oomph there. The graphtech parts just smoothed everything out (the saddles feel amazing) and better sustain and loudness with the block as well. Again, very happy with everything I did to this.

I also can't speak enough about these supercharger kits from graphtech, great value, and comes with literally everything you need (including sandpaper!) and some spares of things as well (like longer saddle screws) . At my shop here the saddles alone are 53...the whole kit was 63...so 10 bucks for extra screws, slotted and unslotted nut, string trees, etc.

I think that covers it all! Thanks for staying till the end hah.
    Last edited by Kamanda~SD; 08-30-2018, 12:42 PM.
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Re: Strat Overhaul X2 (Pic Heavy)

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
    MIM: It really is nice to have a s/s/s back in the lineup. The SSL-1's are just amazing, exactly what I wanted. Still debating on whether I want to put a SSL-5 in there. Wiring the bridge pickup to the tone knob helps with the brightness, but going to keep it for awhile and see if I need just a little bit more oomph there. The graphtech parts just smoothed everything out (the saddles feel amazing) and better sustain and loudness with the block as well. Again, very happy with everything I did to this.
    I'm really not a SC / Strat guy, so feel free to take this FWIW.

First and foremost, go for the SSL-5 and maybe go tapped as well. I have a SSL-6T in my Model 1A and the tapped mode is great for those bridge / middle cleanish sounds. For overdriven bridge sounds, I prefer full output by a huge margin. Also consider a Fralin blend pot or at least a Gilmour-style mini-toggle. One of my favorite clean sounds from the Model 1A is the neck pickup with just a hint of tapped bridge faded in for some extra sparkle.

Either way, that's some good looking work on a couple of cool guitars. And just because I wanted to whore it out again, here's the Model 1A for reference:
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Re: Strat Overhaul X2 (Pic Heavy)

Nice Smoke's sticker

Comment

Working...
      X