Haven't tuned one guitar since 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haven't tuned one guitar since 2017

Couple HUNDRED hours of play on it since it was last tuned... a Les Paul copy I haven't plugged in for ages and just used to give my fingers a workout while watching TV

Checked with a tuner, biggest discrepancy was the 6th string @ a whopping 3 or 4 cents off

What am I doing right / what is everyone else doing wrong??!

Strings DR, tuneamatic, bone nut, 45-year-old sealed Gotoh tuners (non-locking, obviously)
    Last edited by Adieu; 08-31-2018, 05:53 AM.
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Re: Haven't tuned one guitar since 2017

I thought you meant to say "I haven't tuned any of my guitars since 2017".

A really stable neck and a well cut nut will do that for you. Guitars really only ever go out of tune because of strings binding at certain spots or the neck shifting with the environment.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
      I thought you meant to say "I haven't tuned any of my guitars since 2017".
      Mmm... possibly guilty? I'm just surprised how spot-on this thing was, considering

But what's with some guys needing major tuner turns pretty much every time they play? And Im not even referring to guitars with tremolos
      Last edited by Adieu; 08-31-2018, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
        Mmm... possibly??

But what's with some guys needing major tuner turns pretty much every time they play? And Im not even referring to guitars with tremolos
        Poorly cut nuts or saddles on the bridge causing the string to bind and not returning to it's original position. Too many wraps around the tuning post can also cause issues.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

And weather. Temperature and humidity changes can suck.

Comment

How many performances is that? I generally don't have to tune guitars much (or break strings), but playing outside shows in Florida and then taking the guitars inside in the AC will certainly get them out of tune.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Hundreds of hours? Those are some pretty amazing strings.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I haven't tuned a guitar since I discovered how well my neighbors dog can sing. Six years and counting.

Comment

In florida, it depends on the weather. I've pulled guitars out of their cases that haven't been played for a while ... maybe a couple weeks, a month ... and they are still in tune. And then sometimes the same guitar can be slightly out after only a couple of days of sitting. It's hot all summer and the AC in the house is always at the same temperature. But, if it rains for a couple of days, the AC doesn't run as much and the humidity in the house is higher because of it. That probably accounts for a lot. In the "winter" all bets are off. It can be 40 at night and the heat needs to run and then 80 the following day and the AC needs to be turned on in the afternoon. Or it can be 65 at night and 80 during the day. Or, you'll have a couple of fronts come through where it's 35 at night and 65 during the day for a couple of days. Then near 80 again a couple of days later. "Winter" is when the temperature swings in the house down here and the humidity is unpredictable as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    How many performances is that? I generally don't have to tune guitars much (or break strings), but playing outside shows in Florida and then taking the guitars inside in the AC will certainly get them out of tune.
                    None, just killing time at home

Back and forth every hour between air conditioned house and hot/cold garage (where I hide from family lol) though, since I tend to have a smoke break then switch between guitar and bass every episode when bingeing TV

So temp range 55 - 110 F or so

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                      Back and forth every hour between air conditioned house and hot/cold garage (where I hide from family lol) though, [...]
                      So temp range 55 - 110 F or so
                      Given this it’s a small miracle imho.

Comment

Hundreds of hours? Bluestacks TextNow Photomath Those are some pretty amazing strings.
                        Last edited by carlajiji; 09-04-2018, 10:17 PM.

Comment

do you play bends with this guitar?

Comment

SoCal is dry year-round so if a set of strings is broken in, I believe it. They could probably be 'good enough' while not being spot on.

Seems like humidity affects strings more than temperature imo. I do feel like they would still be more or less accurate depending on the time of year; wonder how in tune they would be in 60-70 deg. January weather vs. 80-100 deg. now.
                            Originally posted by King Buzzo
                            I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Working...
                            X