Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squareneck reso

Any other squareneck players here?

For those unaware, a squareneck is the guitar you see played lap style. The neck is literally square and the strings are nearly an inch off the fretboard, so there's no playing it like a regular guitar. They're usually strung pretty heavy (16, 18, 28w, 35, 45, 56 is the standard), and tuned to an open chord. Most bluegrass guys use what's called high G (low to high, GBDGBD). Others like open D (DADF#AD). They're also usually called Dobros, after the most popular early manufacturer.

A few years ago, I got into playing bluegrass. I love a lot of the music, but many of the instruments have a lot of very defined roles. The dobro doesn't seem to carry that baggage, largely because not that many people play them. I have no desire to spend a lot of time on an instrument so a purist can tell me I'm doing it wrong, so the dobro appeals to me.

It's a weird instrument coming from guitar. You fret with a heavy slide called a tone bar, and pick with a thumb pick and two finger picks. I play a Recording King RR-60-VS and use a BlueChip thumb pick and Propik finger picks.

For anybody who's interested, here are a couple of my favorite dobro-centric songs:

Justin Moses (he's playing all the instruments here)
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Squareneck reso

Jerry Douglas (the Hendrix of Dobro):
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Rob Ickes (dobro) Trey Hensley (guitar):

Comment

Dobros are pretty awesome guitars. I like the sound and appeal of them but I never learned how to play them after 30 years of guitar playing. I guess I'm behind the times.

;>)/
        sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

i can fake it but since i mostly play slide in std tuning the open tunings are a little limiting. ive been a jerry douglas fan for a long time

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            i can fake it but since i mostly play slide in std tuning the open tunings are a little limiting.
            I know, same here. I tried learning 5 string banjo, and that open G with the high drone string was too much. I think I like open D better than high G, though. The drop D on the bottom at least gives me a familiar place to start.

Comment

Working...
            X