Got my Yamaha RGX A2 upgraded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my Yamaha RGX A2 upgraded

I got my Yamaha RGX A2 back today. The stock pickups were replaced with a DiMarzio Tone Zone P90 in the bridge and a DiMarzio Virtual P90 in the neck. The volume pot was replaced with a better one and a treble bleed kit installed. The 3 way rotary switch was replaced with a push pull tone pot that allows the pickups to be split. A 3-way 4PDT switch was added to control the pickup switching and the switching for the LED lights. If the bridge pickup is on then the blue light is on and the red light is for the neck pickup. A green LED was also added at the tone control to show that a cable is plugged in. Also got the nut filed and the guitar setup. Plays and sounds amazing now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	17ECBD61-1E81-4E23-96B6-F65004E63B25.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	5849112

Name:	F87312AC-EC8C-47F1-9E27-A55738A0D1F7.jpg
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	5849113

Name:	D398A1ED-027D-4B4A-B768-9085DCAEE653.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	5849114

Name:	13C241F4-3877-4A98-BA3D-65E5320E92C9.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	5849115

Re: Got my Yamaha RGX A2 upgraded

Nice. I think that's the first one of those that I've seen in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      Nice. I think that's the first one of those that I've seen in this forum.
      It plays fantastic after he set it up and the TZ P90 can just sound brutal with high gain.

Comment

I had always been interested in these guitars. I had only seen pics, but those were white. I didn't know they came in any other color. Tell me more about the guitar itself.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The body is Agathis on the top and back with a core of lighter wood (not sure the name), maple neck/rosewood fretboard, 25.5" scale. Comes stock with a volume and 3-way rotary switch, but you can see I've changed that on mine. The 9-volt battery in the back compartment is only for the LED lights. It comes stock with some nice AlNiCo 5 P90 sized humbuckers, but I wanted something with more output on the bridge and also add in a tone control and coil split, so you can see I've made those changes.

One thing I'm not really sure about on the guitar is the tuners with the barrel ends. They look cool and seem to work fine, but I may end up changing them out later on. Because of the hard tail bridge and the way the guitar is made it seems to sustain really well IMO. It's also very light with the lighter wood core in the body. After the setup it's a very fast playing guitar. So far I'm very impressed.

Comment

The tuners look like LSRs, but I am guessing that they are not. How long does the battery last?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              The tuners look like LSRs, but I am guessing that they are not. How long does the battery last?
              Not sure what brand the tuners are...Yamaha probably, but made by someone else? They do feel solid and smooth, just not sure how I like the barrel style. Don't know about the battery. I got this for Christmas and a couple months after I took it to my guitar guy and he's had it while I got the money for all the parts and labor for the changes, then he did it all for me. We'll see how long it lasts now. I do plan on playing it quite often at band practices, gigs and at home. Lightweight, fast action and sounds good.

Comment

Used this guitar at my gig yesterday and it sounded great. Very happy with the changes I had made to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I had always been interested in these guitars. I had only seen pics, but those were white. I didn't know they came in any other color. Tell me more about the guitar itself.
                  They have one at Sam Ash in Clearwater right now Dave....
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    They have one at Sam Ash in Clearwater right now Dave....
                    Well, I might stop in there on my way to Dunedin to play Sat night.

Comment

Working...
                    X